Port D

Helron

Can anyone on this board clarify something for me? I have heard many times that the area behind Lincoln Fabrics and Treadwells up to the falls, is a sanctuary. I have seen many people fishing in there this Salmon season, and heard rumours that the ministry has caught and fined guys fishing in there. Also where would I find info about sanctuaries in Ontario? Thanx

I don't know if it's a fish sanctuary, private property, or the exact reason as to why you can't fish there but you will get a ticket if caught there. I know some people who were given a ticket there recently. I'm sure someone will elaborate on the details

It is not a sanctuary. The fine is for unlawful trespass. To get into those spots one has to hop the fence or cut it. Of course, fines are also handed out for snagging.

There were a couple of guys fishing in there last night, they accessed it through the parking lot next to Tredwells. There is no fence there, but when I was leaving I saw a MNR truck parked in the Lincoln Fabric Parking lot. Not sure if he was staking out those guys or not, I was just curious as you hear a lot of stories about that area not that I fish it nor want to.

Ron , last time I was there I saw a couple of guys fishing from the restaurant parking lot access . There are no signs or fences there . I also see guys fishing the falls area most times I am there & a few days ago when fishing with joey , there was a boat anchored very close to the falls ......legal ? ...not sure about boats since it's not a sanctuary . If they designate it a fish sanctuary there should be no more problems , especially if the fine is much higher for fishing inside a sanctuary . I'll prob. be there in the morning .

Archived