Just Saying Hi With My First Post And A Little Funny Story

CamG14

Hi,

My name is Cam, I am not new to this site just a new member. I have been hanging around reading on this site all summer and thought it was time to sign up and introduce myself.

The reason I am here is because my son and I just started fishing together this summer and I needed to find a place to learn from. He is 7 years old and absolutely loves it.

How this all started was him asking me to take him fishing, So on one of our camping trips this summer I figured $100.00 worth of cheap equipment ( 2 rods a little plastic tackle box and a fishing licence for me) would do the trick. I honestly expected it to be our first and probably last time. Wow was I wrong.

Ok the funny part:

I sat him on a dock handed him the rod and started working on rigging up the second one, when I looked over I noticed the whole time he was reeling backwards and there was a huge bird nest of line on the reel. I cut the line and told him to hang on to it and tell me if the bobber starts to go down. As I was cleaning up the mess you can probably guess what happened. He caught his very first fish (Rock Bass) without a fishing rod. It was the best day of my summer watching his face and listening to him laugh as he kept pulling that line in.

Since then we have been out 2 - 3 times a week all summer / Fall. He has reminded me of how much I used to enjoy fishing with my Dad and how dumb I was to let life (work) get in the way of such a great hobby all these years.

I really enjoy how everybody on this site is so friendly and helpful.

What a great place for us to learn from

Thanks

Cam

P.s: The excess fishing line was taken home and disposed of properly. Most important thing I can do is teach him how to respect nature.

Hi Cam, Nice to meet you....Im fairly new here myself, I have enjoyed meeting other members of this board and found this site as very friendly as well.

Glad to hear your son enjoys fishing. There is nothing better and more relaxing for the mind then going fishing, preparing to go fishing, or even thinking

about fishing. Teaching your son to respect our resources and to learn about our surroundings is something he will remember the rest of his life. Good luck

on your fishing adventures and welcome to NFN.

Dave

Cam , very nice introductory post . I still remember my fishing days at 7 yrs. old .....I got hooked ! We had a good fishing book in the house & learned how to I.D. many fish form those black & white photos. Kids like to be kept busy catching fish like pan fish ,catfish ,bass etc .That will keep them entertained & enjoy the sport & appreciating the great outdoors . Kudos to you for teaching him good environmental practices . :worthy:

Welcome to the board and thanks for that post! My grandfather recently passed away and some of my best memories with him as a kid were perch fishing off his dock in Fort Erie. I too let 'life' get in the way of this amazing hobby for many years and have only recently picked it up again. Even if he doesn't realize it right now (sounds like he probably does lol), you're providing you're child with some of the best memories he'll have for his whole life. So thanks again for the post...it really hit home, and, here's to many years of joyful fishing between you and your son. :Gonefishing:

Steve

Cam, your son will remember and cherish those memories well into his adulthood.

My absolute most favourite memories of my childhood was fishing with dad. Sure, I played hockey in the winter, and baseball in the summer. Lots of memories of cold mornings in the arena's, or hockey tournaments in the states.

But its the camping and fishing trips that have made the longest lasting memories.

I thought the my favourite fishing memory would reign true forever, dad's biggest walleye (6lbs) from a northern cottage lake that didn't have walleye in it. We were camping at a local park, and we had cottagers coming from around the lake for the entire week to look at dad's fish. We ended up not even having to pay for the camping.

However, that memory was topped when the first time I was able to take MY dad out in my new boat. I had been taken out salmon fishing once, from a friend, and it was my turn to do it, on my own.

I took dad to Jordan harbour in April, and we did our best. We only had spinning rods, and no rod holders....We trolled and held on to our rods....well, holy hell, when the rod got ripped out of my hands, and I caught our first salmon, Dad's smile was beaming prouder than I'd ever seen it before!

Then when Dad caught our FIRST five lbs bass, which we had been searching for for two decades! And the most amazing part was, it was on the little lake from my childhood where the 6lbs walleye came from. We, on a whim, decided after 20 years, to go check it back out....little did we know....that lake was going to become even more special...

you know, I could go on forever about these stories....just know, the time spent fishing with your son will never be forgotten by him.

When he gets into his later teens, he'll likely stop fishing, to hang out with his friends. I remember the first summer that I wanted to hang with my friends for my birthday, instead of going camping with dad - which we had done since I was three years old. My birthday FALLS on BASS OPENER!

Dad took it in stride, and didn't say anything to me. Mom now tells me it was one of the hardest days of his life!

But when I turned 23, and asked dad to go fishing up north for my birthday, instead of partying with friends, for the first time since I was 15...the smile on his face.

And we have been doing it since. The last ten years.

Thank you,

For all the kind words and great stories you shared.

It really is amazing how fishing can bring up such great memories.

If you ever see a guy on the shore with a brush cut and a goatee, (ok maybe a little bald) fishing with his son, You can't miss him, He will have a baseball cap on with a Lucky golden fish hook on the brim and a huge smile on his face. Please stop and say Hi..... It would be great to meet some of the people on this site. We are normally at Jordan.

Thanks again,

You will probably see a few posts from us with how to questions in the near future,

Cam and Son William.

I dont even have children ... and my eyes felt a little "Wet".

Darn right! been there and done that on NOT BALANCING the quality of life

Welcome!

Many more wonderful moments to spend wtih your son to come!

Hell, the fishing is just the icing on the cake.

*SMILES*

Say Hi to me anytime

Hey Cam,

very nice story. My name is Tom and I am also new as a member. My son is 4, and my wife says its too dangerous along the Niagara to bring him just yet( I agree ). I'm heading down to the Niagara for my first time this year, usually I've been down 10 times already, but 2 kids under 5, and lots of overtime make for little fishing time. Anyways, your story made me think of all the great time fishing I will have with my little ones in the coming years. For now though, the mighty Niagara is a trip just for dad. Hopefully I'll have some nice pics to share. Look forward to seeing you guys along the shore!

tom

Went up in July to a trailer park on the Scugog river with some friends from work, fished the lake in the wind and caught a couple of Bass then decided to troll the river back to the park. Just started trolling and my daughter caught her first ever Muskie, not a huge fish about 25 inches but exiting for my daughter to say the least. (and yes I admit to a skunk)

Welcome....Great story! It's great to bring your kids out fishing. My 7 year old loves to fish also. On her christmas list to Santa she asked for "fishing stuff" !! LOL

Makes me proud.

Archived