Caught Trespassers Square Handed

pike007

Well every Saturday I wake up nice and early and go bunny hunting , well when I got to my property Saturday morning, theres a truck parked on the side of the road, I was almost positive I had some trespassers on my land, ive had problems with dumpers in the past so I immediately took there licence plate and headed in . About 5 minutes later I spotted an orange vest about 150 yards away ...gave a nice whistle and shouted at the top of lungs "HEYYYY, " . Approached the 2 men and a young boy, asked them what they are doing here and why are they trespassing on my property. I gave them the whole speach about how trespassing is giving us hunters a very bad name... Long story short they apologized and said they only wanted to take there son for a hunt and they have no other land to hunt. I explained to them that its no excuse for trespassing. I told them that i got their licence plate and that I have the right to charge them, but since Christmas is close by I decided to give them a break. If it wasnot for the younster i wouldnot of thought twice about charging them ,but i saved the father the embarrassment infront of his son.They explained they just got there and they were telling the truth because it was very muddy and i could see where there foot prints ended. So for the kids sake who was a very nice boy I let them join me to see if we could kick up a rabbit. We seen 2 pheasants but they are out of season and Rex my dog was on to 1 bunny but he got away. All in all , i did a good deed and had some unexpected company.

It was real nice of you to consider the boys feelings ! I'm sure his father is grateful for your hospitality considering the circumstances . This post is a great coincidence ......Your dog's name isn't too common , and today at 1 pm , we adopted a 6.5 yr.old dog ,part pug & boxer/mix about 26 lbs. , and his name is Rex . He was just outside watching a squirrel walking the top rail of a chain link fence & just WATCHED IT .....no chase ,no bark , don't think he knows what it was . lol ......don't think he will be a hunter !

Smerch thats a great thing adopting a dog especially an older dog which are usually harder to find a new home for. I also adopted my dog ,he was 9 months his father was pure bread beagle and his mother was half beagle half fox hound. He is now 3 years old, he learned to hunt very good because I have a bud who runs beagles in wainfleet so we participated in many hunts with them and with his instinct and following the other dogs he has become a great little hunter. Only problem is finding the spots with the rabbits for him to run out , damn coyotes seem to always get em before we do. This year he has gotten me 6 so far, cant wait for some snow .

Cottontail pie .....oh so good ! Jack rabbit stew ....2die4 mmmmmm !! We used to hunt both and a dog was great for rousing up the bunnies . We hunted open fields for jacks but wanted to surprise them to get a closer shot with the Imperial #2 's . Not many jacks around these days . Rex is the 3rd dog we adopted and each one lived a good full life with us . He is very relaxed & sleeping beside Sandy on the sofa , seems to be adjusting very well . We wanted an older dog this time since we are both 68 & didn't want to have a young dog outlive us & go to another home . Hey Pike.....gotta watch those beagle/hound dogs , they have been known to get on a deer scent and go for miles ..... :santa:

Hey great day. You found some new hunting buddies, educated them and still got out hunting. Hopefully they got your number so they could ask permission next time. Should have reminded him that the landowner should always know who hunting in case a kid like his was playing on the property that day and he wouldn't be wearing orange. When you trespass you never know what or who you are going to run into and thats just dangerous!

Hey great day. You found some new hunting buddies, educated them and still got out hunting. Hopefully they got your number so they could ask permission next time. Should have reminded him that the landowner should always know who hunting in case a kid like his was playing on the property that day and he wouldn't be wearing orange. When you trespass you never know what or who you are going to run into and thats just dangerous!

KUDO's you really were nice (Didnt have to be) and showed an example that I am sure made the GREATESS IMPACT!

Awesome , just awesome!

Rex is the 3rd dog we adopted and each one lived a good full life with us .

CONGRATS BILL on the new FAMILY MEMBER!

What a great home, mutual companions forever.

All the best ... always.

"IF" there is such a thing as REINCARNATION .... i hope to come back as a dog that you take in!

*SMILES* .... seriously.

Certainly not as a deer / bird that "Chilli" is after.... lol

Thanks Blair , very kind words . As we age we have been "downsizing" ......from a 115 lb. rottie , to a 58 lb staff.terrier , to Rex who weighs in at a whopping 26 lbs. We bought a bag of Buffalo Blue dog food for him , a top notch food that he devours in seconds !

Chilli is very familiar with hunting on private land & he can give prospective hunters some good tips for both novice hunters as well as seasoned ones . Things sure have changed since I was a young teen hunter ......I shot my first rabbit about 300 yards from where I am sitting right now ! :th_fudd:

picture of Rrrrrrex.....

007.JPG

Cottontail pie .....oh so good ! Jack rabbit stew ....2die4 mmmmmm !! We used to hunt both and a dog was great for rousing up the bunnies . We hunted open fields for jacks but wanted to surprise them to get a closer shot with the Imperial #2 's . Not many jacks around these days . Rex is the 3rd dog we adopted and each one lived a good full life with us . He is very relaxed & sleeping beside Sandy on the sofa , seems to be adjusting very well . We wanted an older dog this time since we are both 68 & didn't want to have a young dog outlive us & go to another home . Hey Pike.....gotta watch those beagle/hound dogs , they have been known to get on a deer scent and go for miles ..... :santa:

Ye i dont think he has it in him to get on a deer scent but theres a first time for everything, kind of worried about that if I bring him upnorth hunting, never find the bugger he would have to find me. As for the families who adopt pets from humane society or from people who cant take care of them anymore I take my hats off to you, not only giving an animal a better life, but probably saving its life aswell. I also have 2 cats that I adopted from the lincoln county humane society , max and tess , both came fixed.

Chilli as for the trespassers , i gave the father my number and told them to call me if him and his son would like to join me again.." just make sure you call me before " ! made it pretty clear. Darn i wish i could trespass an gain a new hunting spot just like that LOL

I know Rex, my girlfriend and I just adopeted from the LCHS a few months back and she volunteers at their puppy-athon at petsmart. It's good to see he got picked up...I have a huge amount of respect for people who adopt animals.

Archived