Northern Pike

Frank81

So I went on my Ice fishing trip this weekend as planned, mind you my amount of fish expected did not "pan out" :P in numbers.

We tried going out to a lake in Emsdale, Ont. for some splake and when we got there we realized that the auger we have sucks and was clearly ruined by the last person that borrowed it so plan B was to head to Burk's Falls and fish with some friends that had a bunch of huts on a big lake, so that is what we did.

Headed out there, got picked up on shore by a beater of a snowmobile, in which I fell off twice trying to save a twelve pack of beer... haha, thankfully I was so bundled up that I barely felt anything until Sunday, and today my arm is killing me.

IMG_0191.jpg

We arrived at the huts, in which there was four of them, the guys that own them all showed us all of them and gave us an on option to which one we wanted to fish in, and since it was a beautiful -12 with no wind, we decided to drill holes through the 18 inches of ice with their augers and fish outside, they had a whack of snow on Friday and so the snow sitting on the ice was slushy in spots, but it was freezing up as the day went on, and added to the ice depth.

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

So we finally got all set up and started fishing, we used shiners & pinhead minnows on a jig with our poles and we all set up a tip up with just a hook, minnow and split shots, none of the jigging caught fish, but all the tip ups caught pike and walleye, mind you us two only caught one Northern each, in which we cleaned and ate in one of the huts, usually I release everything I catch, but we were starving, so made a quick decision to eat'm.

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

The guys there said that the fishing was pretty slow for that lake that day, altogether there was 3 Northerns and one small walleye caught, as it got dark we were going to try another lake, but we decided to head back to the house and have a few brews the rest of the night.

I am looking forward to getting back up there as soon as possible, and hopefully catch a few more fish.

Thanks guys, wish I had caught more fish, but sometimes that's the way it goes.

Now that I finally got out to wet a line in 2012, I am itching to get out and fish this week, heck maybe even tomorrow but this crazy wind is not helping my on the fence plans.

Emsdale,splake?!.... My family cottage is on the Sprucedale/Emsdale boarder. I have never heard of

Splake in the area. Gonna have to do some research. Thanks for the report,I have been considering seeing if I

Can get up for some ice time this season,makes me want to even more.

Emsdale,splake?!.... My family cottage is on the Sprucedale/Emsdale boarder. I have never heard of

Splake in the area. Gonna have to do some research. Thanks for the report,I have been considering seeing if I

Can get up for some ice time this season,makes me want to even more.

Yes, a few guys that were fishing with us in Burk's Falls asked me if I was going try fishing anywhere else, and I told them about our auger being a piece of crap on the first lake we tried in Emsdale on Saturday and they said that they were at the same lake on Friday and had got a few splake there, and there was only two huts on that lake and on Sunday I went out there before I left for home, talked to some guys that were in one of the huts and that's what they were there for too.

Archived