Rigging Diagrams

Bryan

I have always had trouble setting up rigs for fishing.

I am new to fishing and am thinking of going to port/Martindale pond this weekend and trying my luck.

any advice for a beginner? really just want to catch anything, pan fish, pike (if thats possible)

also if anyone knows a good website that has rigging diagrams? and or what types of lures or bait to use?

Hey Bryan,

I haven't fished Port or Martindale too much, but have an idea of the rigs some of the guys use.

For panfish: Ultralight or light rod and reel, 6lb mainline (probably mono), fixed float, shot, barrel swivel, 2-4lb fluoro lead (1-4 feet, depending on water conditions), and a small octopus hook tipped with a minnow (you could also use small jigs and soft plastics for bait). Fix your float to the depth you want to fish (so let's say you're fishing 6 FOW, I'd run 3ft of lead and fix my float 3 feet above the swivel with enough shot below your float on the mainline to Male Appendage your float).

For pike: Ditch the ultralight and go with a medium power rod with a fast tip, up the poundage of your mainline/leader and size of your hook (12-15lb mainline, mono or braid and a 10-15lb fluoro lead). When fishing for pike you want a fairly strong lead due to their sharp teeth. You can also try tossing some spoons, or jointed-minnow lures for pike (I'd use minimum 15lb main and close to 15lb lead so you don't lose those expensive lures when hung up). Some of the other guys from the area might have better suggestions, but that should be a good rig to get you started! If you have any other questions, shoot me a PM. Good luck and look forward to hearing your report!

Steve

hey thanx Steve, I will try these ideas out.

If i go to Pete's to buy the right rigging equipment will they show me how to tie this stuff in the right order so i dont screw up my line?

I know how to tie for Lures, but when it comes to hooks and sinkers and a bobber, im lost...

Hey Bryan, 90% of the time I use a clinch knot to tie hooks and lures onto my line. To learn how to tie the clinch knot or any knot, just type the name of the knot in your google search with the word 'animation' as well. You'll find terriric sites with an animation you can follow along as you're tying. The link below is the site I use all the time for new knots, because I find it difficult to learn new knots without an animation.

www.animatedknots.com

Yeah man, I'm sure they'll help you out there if you ask. Just tell them where you plan on fishing and the species you're targeting. Here's a video for a basic float fishing rig:

http://www.steelhead...oat-fishing.htm

The guy uses a slip float instead of a fixed float (difference is a slip float slides up and down your mainline between the float stop and split shot...the float stop is placed above the float to adjust fishing depth...you can slide your stopper closer to the float to fish shallower, or further away to fish deeper). For a fixed float, you have plastic sleeves that go on either end of your float to 'fix' it in place on your main line. He also uses an 'inline weight' to balance the float, but you can just use split shot sinkers (the small round ones) and clip them below your float, but above the swivel that connects your mainline to your lead line). As for knots....dang, Mike beat me to it! :P Haha, yeah, that's a great website for learning new knots.

I know it's a lot easier for me to visualize what I'm saying than it is for you. Just search around the internet, talk to tackle shop employees, and other anglers as well. Good luck bud, I'll be seeing you out there soon enough!

on a side note, is there a knot i can use for a bobber stop in stead of buying the thread ones?

I usually just use the thread stoppers, but it's nice knowing this knot incase I run out:

http://www.fishinfo....rticle_73.shtml

Guest live2fish85

You really don't want to use a knot to stop the float. If you hook into a fish it will most likely break there. I would stick to using the proper stoppers. They are worth it rather then losing your hooks and baits all the time.

on a side note, is there a knot i can use for a bobber stop in stead of buying the thread ones?

I have a spool of cheap black line , 20# test , and I can tie it on the line before or after the float is tied . Cut about 12" of black line and form a loop close to the center .Wetting it makes it easier to hold it at the loop end , then do about 4 wraps around the single black line & the fishing rod line . Pull both ends together slowly evenly until it is tight & check to make sure it doesn't slide easily .....then trim of the tags & leave 1/2" in case it needs to be tightened some more using needle nose pliers . You can't get any cheaper than that ! Here's a crude drawing right from the Smerch's hands . :bravo:

bobber%2520stop.jpg

I copied the knot from the one you buy with the little tube . -_- This knot can be put on after the float goes on & if I want to change rigs to a lure etc. , I slide the stop down close to the end while casting lures & slide it back up when I want to resume float fishing . You can buy coloured line for the stops very cheap (buck store) , just make sure it's heavy enough to form a suitable size knot for the float . If in a pinch ,a piece of old mono or braid can be used .....just look around the ground for some......... ;)

I have always had trouble setting up rigs for fishing.

I am new to fishing and am thinking of going to port/Martindale pond this weekend and trying my luck.

any advice for a beginner? really just want to catch anything, pan fish, pike (if thats possible)

also if anyone knows a good website that has rigging diagrams? and or what types of lures or bait to use?

Freshwater Fishing Rigs

Great How To Methods And Tips

http://www.fishingloft.com/fishing-rigs.html

There are hundreds of fishing rigs...

Some are very easy to set up, while others are a little more complex. It depends on the methods of angling for which type of rig that you will need to apply. And some rigs are well versed for many different styles of angling techniques, while others primarily focus on one particular technique.

We have a few of our top favorite rigs listed here. And although we are listing them for freshwater fishing, many of them can also be used for saltwater angling tactics as well.

We take you through the step by step demonstration process of rigging up so that it can by as simple as possible for you to understand, therefore, the faster you can get out on the water with less time finicking around, so you'll have much more fun fishing.

Texas Rigs

The Texas Rig is one of the most popular and common ways for fishing soft plastics like the almighty plastic worm. This is an absolute great weedless set up.

If you are already familiar with this rig and would like some extra helpful tips and techniques, then be sure to check out this section of Texas Rigs.

Carolina Rigs

The Carolina Rig is a variation of the Texas rig. It's just as easy to set up, with one of it's exceptions is that it also consists of a leader.

Split Shot Rigs

The Split Shot Rig is very similar to the Carolina rig, but by having the ability to easily switch out the sinker weight makes for good use of time management.

Drop Shot Rigs

The Drop Shot Rigis a deadly rig when fished properly. It puts the bait right in front of the face of the fish, making hard to resist.

Already know how to tie the drop shot rig? Check out some extremely effective drop shot fishing techniques for catching fish all year around, and not just in clear, deep water for times of the warmer summer months.

Wacky Rigs

The Wacky Rigis super simple, yet a very productive rig to use. It seems that many fishermen will often overlook this set up just from the underestimation of it.

Archived