How Many Times Will You Fish A New Spot Before Giving Up ?

CamG14

Hi,

Been fishing some new spots recently with no luck.

I was just wondering how many times you will return to a new fishing spot before giving up on it and moving on to a new one.

Thanks,

Cam

I would say 3 times before i give the spot a long rest.Of course it should be the right time of year for the area & species.I ice fished the Grand river untill the forth time i finally caught a 8" pic.I was happy that they did not get the best of me & i have now scratched it off the list as done.I have also never had a hit at queenston in about 5 years but i still try down there 1 or 2 times a year just incase.I have a ton of confidence in the rest of the lower river & somtimes thats all it takes.

Wouldn't call it giving up, I would wait for better weather, conditions. Wait until water temp changes and try again. But you also have to look at what you're using, live bait, imitation, what technique, the list goes on. If i know there's fish in that water, than i'm bound to get one. Don't give up

Thereis no such thing as giving up. If there are fish there, it becomes a matter of observation. Some places only produce at certain seasons for certain species. i work at it til I figure it out.

i dont think i entirely give up on any one spot, maybe just take a break from it for a while. the beauty of having such a diverse fishery in niagara is if targeting one species of fish isnt working out, you can always switch gears and go after another.

1 time... If i don't get them they are not there....haha...kidding

But the truth is once is it for me..

When i scout brookies on a system i normally look for good numbers or i forget about that spot..

Thanks everyone,

You made me realize that I should'nt give up on a spot, but rather take a break from it and come back later with a different technique....

I have a list of places to try out this year, thanks to many on this site and some conversations with people at the last niagara fishing show.

So I will start working the list and make note of temp, weather, and other important info.

At the end of the day I would rather fish and not catch anything than not fish at all....

It's going to be a great season !!!

Thanks again,

Cam

At the end of the day I would rather fish and not catch anything than not fish at all....

You know what they say, "A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work". :Gonefishing:

If you know there are fish in the water, but can't manage any bites, give that spot a break and wait for a major change in weather. Whether it's another spike in temperature, or a couple days of heavy rain that bring water levels up a bit....something will change and the fish will start biting. Best of luck Cam!

I am sorry if my post seemed a bit abrupt. It is just that, as the others have pointed out, there are a lot of things to consider first before even asking that question. Location is very important. Deciding where to fish and when to fish is a key to success. It is called " reading the water" or "watercraft". Bottom structure, current, current breaks, back eddies, weed lines, wind direction,time of year, are all very important in determining whether the fish you want will be there. You will increase your odds of catching fish if you think about these things. If you are fishing for predator fish, finding where bait fish are will help a lot. Water temperature is an important factor as well.

The life cycle of fish is important too. Some fish gather in large numbers before they spawn, like perch, channels cats, carp, salmon and others.

There is a quote from In Fisherman magazine that 10% of the waters hold 90% of the fish.

So it isn't a matter of blindly stopping at a spot, trying a few times then quitting.

This is what the real value of a fishing forum is. Learning these pieces of the puzzle by communicating and participating with other anglers. The guys that just come on a forum and ask for " spots" are really just ripping themselves off.

Interesting question. The way I see it, I don't actually fish "spots", I usually fish relatively short sections of river, all of which have many different areas that may hold fish. And I generally know for a fact that there is something worth pursuing in that stretch, from experience or insider knowledge. So, if it's not productive on any given day, for any number of reasons, I don't worry about it, I just keep trying. In this part of the world, a trout river may only really shine for an hour or three a day, or maybe a few weeks a year, so you never know. You eventually realize that it's not about catching fish. There are some rivers though that just tick me off... too big, too brown, silty or smelly, once I've spent a day trying a few different stretches, I won't return.

I don't think you should ever give up on a spot. Like everyone else has said, Change your approach, check out species and seasonal times, Wait and try during different types of weather/temp/water clarity.

if this was the case i should have given up on the whirlpool a long time ago, lol

in my opinion one of the best parts about fishin' is being the hunter and trying to hunt the fish. And the more you hunt the better you'll become..

I try a sport three times in a row, If I don't catch much of anything or what I am targeting I will try other spots for a couple weeks, but I always go back, I never fully give up on one spot, been fishing same spots for years regardless.

Archived