First Thames River Carp

My girlfriend wanted to go for a walk yesterday evening, so I decided to bring along my fishing rod and last slice of bread. We found a nice calm area not too far from the sucker hole and after seeing a couple of air bubbles and small fish break the surface, we decided this was the spot to try.

Sure enough, a couple of minutes after the second cast, while we were distracted watching a pair of ducks cross the river, I hear that unmistakable scream of drag. Before I even had time to react, my rod was ripped from it's make-shift rock holder. Luckily we were on a shallow stretch of rocks, and I was able to quickly run over and grab the rod before it made its way further into the drink. I tightened up the drag, set the hook, and enjoyed a well fought battle (one which was completely unexpected, and, oh so satisfying).

Here's the aftermath; a nice six and a half pounder to satisfy my carp craving. Now back to studying.

e4321060.jpg

512affae.jpg

You definitely have to respect the power of these fish!

I used a size 4 eagle claw hook (one from a package I found in my grampa's old tackle box :)) and wrapped the bread around it just so it covered the hook. After casting and tightening up the line, I set the rod in it's make-shift holder and loosened my drag all the way.

I guess I'm used to using a hair rig, and usually there's some sort of warning before the fish gets hooked. With the bread directly on the hook and softened from soaking in the water for close to 5 minutes, this take was instantaneous!

Can't wait for some free time to get into some more!

Got out for a little study break this evening. Banked two more carp. Big one was 7lbs 10oz...fought like a brute! My girlfriend brought along her Nikon D3000 and she took some great shots! Hope you guys enjoy them as much as I have.

Disclaimer: The following post contains a lot of photos

DSC_0705.jpg

DSC_0720.jpg

DSC_0750.jpg

DSC_0755.jpg

DSC_0760.jpg

DSC_0769.jpg

DSC_0771.jpg

DSC_0796.jpg

DSC_0802.jpg

DSC_0805.jpg

After writing two exams today (only one more to go) I was more than happy to get out for a couple of hours of fishing tonight.

The action was pretty much non-stop. I managed to land 4, with the biggest being 9lbs 6oz & 29" (third picture). The first one I caught was also a nice fatty--17" girth.

e0fae179.jpg

622da407.jpg

37ccb95d.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg

2d9dbb2c.jpg

After hearing how good the fishing was, my girlfriend decided to take a study break and join me on the bank. I think she enjoyed the distraction :)

fdeee3d7.jpg

def4a79e.jpg

Nice job Steve......thanks for sharing the pictures. Nothing like a girl who likes to fish. My wife likes fishing........so they always understand when you go, even when they

dont come with you.

Nice job Steve......thanks for sharing the pictures. Nothing like a girl who likes to fish. My wife likes fishing........so they always understand when you go, even when they

dont come with you.

Thanks Dave, sounds like both you and I lucked out! It is pretty amazing never having to make an excuse to go fishing. In fact, she's the one pushing me to get out sometimes!

Yesterday afternoon was an indescribably euphoric experience in the sense that I am finally free from all burdens of school and work (for the next week or so). Unfortunately the bite was the slowest it's been in a while, but sometimes, as the saying goes (and it couldn't be truer), 'it's not the fish we're after'.

a61eac7c.jpg

Archived