How Long Did It Take You To Get Used To A Baitcaster Reel ?

CamG14

Hi,

Been thinking about moving to a Baitcaster. I have never used one and I am wondering what to expect.

I have watched some how to videos and it seems to be all in the timing of your thumb and when the bait hits the water.

But I have also heard that it's difficult and back lash or bird nests are very common when learning.

Also what are your thoughts on an 7 year old switching over to a bait caster ?

My son has the open spinning reel down pretty good and wondering if he would just get frustrated with a baitcaster or if starting him early will be an advantage. It can't be more difficult than a video game controler can it ? :o

Appreciate your comments and advice,

Thanks

Cam

If you get a decent reel, and set it up properly when you are using it then baitcasters pretty much take care of themselves.

They can be tempermental but it is usually operator induced. Magnets not set, or trying to power out a lure on too short a cast.

Spinning and baitcasters each have their place, kind of like clubs in a golf bag, you need the big powerful woods but you cant live with out the finesse clubs either.

It took me two reels to really get the handle of a bait caster. First one I bought had a magnetic cast control and I just couldn't get it setup right. Second one had centrifugal cast control and it was cake to get setup and cast. It takes a little patience but it really isn't that hard. Start with heavy mono on the reel and slowly move to lighter lines. Now I have a tweaked out Abu Garcia that has been gutted and reworked for more distance. It is a little more fickle but its a rocket when you pay attention. Hardest thing for me was switching from left hand retrieve on my spinning rod to right hand on my bait caster.

I spent last summer fishing almost entirely with a spinning rod but purchased a baitcaster in June. I would bring the baitcaster out but never catch anything on it and I kept getting tangled up so I gave up on it until this winter. When trouting got slow down at the glen I busted out the baitcaster and really got used to it by chucking spoons around. Can't wait to use it this summer now!

Good luck

If you want to learn how to fish a baitcaster leave the spinning gear at home. They do take some time to learn and you will get better faster if can't switch over because things are not working out right. Lots of people fish with them so it is not that hard. You have to think about what you are doing and pay attention to the wind. Use a stiffer line to start with like Berkley XT.

If you go with the proper beginners line like said above, and start off casting short distances and gradually start to work your way out farther..don't expect to chuck a lure 30yrds right off the batt. Take a look on youtube, there are some good tutorials and tips on there. just my 2cents

There's definitely a learning curve involved, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be glad you decided to give it a shot. As others have mentioned, always bring you're casting combo along with you and try to practice a couple of casts each time you're out.

Start with heavier lures (1/2oz-1oz spoons, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, etc) as they're easier to cast. As mentioned, start off with short casts and gradually work your way towards longer ones. It's all about the feel. As for line, I personally prefer braid, as I find it much smoother and easier to cast with.

Backlashes are inevitable when you're starting out. Don't get discouraged. There's a great video on YouTube I found about untangling backlashes...I'll try to scrounge up a link for it. So far, using the previously mentioned de-tangling technique, I've only had one *terrible* birds nest where I had to unspool my reel, but that was due to operator negligence (I forgot that I had my magnetic and centrifugal breaks completely disengaged and tried to bomb a cast).

Personally, I think (as with most things) the sooner your son starts using a baitcaster, the more proficient he'll become at it. As you've alluded to, children's brains are so elastic, they're able to pick up on some things much quicker than most adults are able to. Even if he gets frustrated, switch him back over to his spinning setup and save it for another day. He'll get it eventually and will be thankful you taught him a valuable new fishing technique.

Who knows...he might be the one who ends up teaching you :):P

Here's that video:

I use a shimano corsair cs400a, which is for trolling, muskie, that one took me a couple of cast to figure out, But i also bought a rapala gr 200 which is your typical palm held bass reel. I'm still learning on it, Its probably taking me longer because its a little lower end but i got it to learn. the best trick i know of is when trying to learn baitcaster reel is to lay a piece of electrical tape across the spool after letting out a bit more line than your likely to cast or pitch. reel the line over the tape, the purpose is that if you get into a tangle it will not go beyond the tape, and if you have to cut the line you have plenty left. As for a seven year old, i wouldn't but there are kids out there using them, but expect backlashes like crazy, and at that point they might get frustrated and turn off from fishing.

i felt no problem switching to a baitcaster. it is pretty straight forward and you get the hang of it withen a few casts. for sure the main problem though is the birdnest. just make sure that really practise to eliminate that problem. aside from that i liked it though.

A few bird nests and I gave up......lol. Maybe its because I had a cheap reel, I dont know. But I have seen others that make it look easy. I think you have to have a good reel and the right line and some weight to it. I tried to thumb the control on the cast, but gave up on it quickly. I prefer a spinning reel myself......but thats just me, Im a slow learner when it comes to anything. Be prepared to untangle the birds nest all day for your son....nothng wrong with giving it a shot and doing some practice until he gets used to it.

My 2 cents worth...

Fishing tackle are like tools. Each one is specifically designed for a certain task. You don't use a sledgehameer to drive in a finishing nail and you don't use a tack hammer to drive in a stake!

I have quite a few bait casters and each one has different line and a different gear ratio on different sized rods. Some are for cranking, some are for jerking, some pitching and so on. Your line and rod should match your presentation. A 6'6" MH with 12lb flouro should get you started.

Go and get your self a large casting weight or a rubber casting "dummy" (not sure where you can get them...CT used to have them) start with 3/4oz. Don't use a hook to start, could be trouble and having no hooks will allow you to cast in any body of water with out getting in trouble with CO's or on this forum. ;) Start with the bait 8 inches from the first eye. Turn the tension knob tight. Put your thumb on the spool and push in the thumb bar. Your spool shouldn't move. Now start backing off the tension until the bait drops slowly. Once you find that sweet spot, start trying little casts. Keep your thumb on the spool to prevent backlashes. Start casting, and you should get the feel of it pretty quick. Just try short first and start bombing it later. Don't try casting in the wind yet, cast with the wind...it will save you a tonne of frustration.

Remember, a baitcaster is designed for heavy line, power and casting distance...you can't cast finesse baits with it (yet)...there is always room for spinning gear in your arsenal. This is another tool to help you catch fish.

If you have questions, I am more than happy to help.

BD

45 years ago when I was a kid that was all I had to fish with. It was a plain old level wind not one of the fancy bait casters you have today. I don't remember how long it took to master it but I don't remember too many birds nests.

I started using baitcasters when I was very young so I can't add any personal experience. I did get my cousin started on a baitcaster in January and we did an outing every other week or so and he's got the nack of it by now.

All good tips so far, just take it slow and DON'T cast into the wind yet... Unless you want to practice removing backlashes.

If I am throwing something light like a little senko or something small like that. What is my best set up for bait casting rod and reel? I'm looking at getting one and wondering what i should go with? or should I just stick with my spinning gear for the light stuff?

Thank you everyone for all your help.

I have decided to go ahead and purchase 2 decent baitcasters and we will practice in the back yard..

You guys have been very helpfull and I appreciate all the tips.. even after doing many google searches I still didn't know that the line made that much of a difference. I also learned that setting the brakes a little more aggresive at first will help.

That is a great video on how to fix a birdsnest by the way.

I will come back here and post the results of how we make out, so others can learn from all this information as well.

Again,

Thank you,

Cam

If I am throwing something light like a little senko or something small like that. What is my best set up for bait casting rod and reel? I'm looking at getting one and wondering what i should go with? or should I just stick with my spinning gear for the light stuff?

Hey Bassman,

I would say stick with the spinning tackle for the Senko...for now. In time you should be able to start flippin and pitchin a light bait like a Senko with casting gear.

But if you want to start throwing heavier baits in heavy cover, you can't beat a baitcaster. Match the tackle for the style of fishing.

I only use baitcasters, never got into spinning setups. I don't have a dedicated setup for lightweight stuff yet but I've been thinking of a shimano curado 50e or chronarch 50e on a medium light rod.

I would say that is downsizing, not really great for lighter baits. Tiny baits, need lighter lines, and spinning gear would service you better. Just my opinion.

thanks dog,i appreciate the advice. I dont plan on going straight to the light baits with a baitcaster just wondering if it was better then a spinning reel. you helped a lot. I have been a straight cast and retrieve with crankbait fisherman in past years. looking to try some new techniques, and the right equipment for it. so again thanks

Archived