Opening Day Tom

Bones

Got set up early on the opener and waited for the bush to come alive. Unfortunately no sight or sound of turkey for 4 hours . Decided to move just off of a trail and shortly after heard my first gobble close by. I gave him some soft calls and waited. The tom comes in quietly looking for the hen that I didn't have one out lol. Very nervous but he came to 16 yds and I dropped the hammer on him. He was 20lbs, 9 1/2' beard and spurs 1". Picture not the best but he will taste good in the deep fryer.

402279810.jpg

John, did you say you threw a hammer at him ?? lol....I need some of the feathers !! Is there much to gutting and preparing them to eat? There is lots of turkey in Cambridge, I see them all the time. Im not a hunter.......just never got into it. I dont think I could shoot anything....I would probably shoot myself by accident so I have stayed away from it.

Congrats guys !! I would love to do a wild turkey up on a spit . It would need to be basted often or wrapped with bacon ( now I'm drooling) .....Guy next door to me has a pig spit and he can put 2 turkeys on it with the pig ........Can you say mmmmmmmmmmm !!! :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

Is it wierd to have a turkey in your backyard? Last week I went into the backyard with my dog and bam a turkey just staring at me. The house is in St.Catharines. My husky just stared it down and I told her to get inside it was really odd.

Is it wierd to have a turkey in your backyard? Last week I went into the backyard with my dog and bam a turkey just staring at me. The house is in St.Catharines. My husky just stared it down and I told her to get inside it was really odd.

Did it have any feathers on it ? It may have escaped from No Frills ! Ahah.... :) A friend of mine in Fenwick had a bunch of turkeys walk down the stone road right passed his driveway and into his field .........Oh what a trying time I would have refraining from enticing one to be a dinner guest !

Haha oh there were feathers and a beard he didn't like the dog and gobbled at her was debating of trying to catch it for dinner but thought the spurs might be pretty mean lol

I think your backyard turkey may have had rabies. Be careful, there is nothing more ornery than a horned up rabid turkey.

Archived