The Carp Days Of Summer

Nice going Steve & company ! I'd say you all had a great time carp fishing ! I see you have a can of corn ? on the ground ......and I was just wondering about using corn for bait when get a quick impulse to grab the rod and go carping .....which brings me to the question , what corn is better , canned or frozen . The canned corn sits in liquid as opposed to frozen which may be tougher and stay on the hook longer ? and then there's fresh corn on the cob ??? What a dilemma ......... :read:

Thanks everyone!

Lol, too many choices eh Bill? I find whole kernel canned corn to be the best...I recently picked up a can of "No Name" whole kernel corn and have found it to be the best brand so far (frozen or canned). The kernels are actually a decent size and with their integrity still intact. It makes it fairly easy to hairrig them up or simply hook directly. Not as good as cattle corn, but easier to find :) My friend thoroldfisher also taught me a neat little trick.... If you boil the kernels in jello powder before hand, the corns soaks up some of that sweet water and actually changes colour. The carp seem irresistibly attracted to this stuff! Mixed berries was this weeks flavour of the week :)

Great report Steve......One tip I could give you. Dont hold your rod by the blank. I see lots of people do this...some even have thier hand halfway up the rod blank. Use the handle and avoid snapping your rod. The rod is designed to absorb right to the handle, by holding it you limit its strength.

• 2 weeks later...

Not everyone like to give up their favorite spots, but I'm wondering what waterway you are on in these pics. I'm wanting to get out for carp but all the places i've been trying have come up dry, at least for me. Looks like you're doing a great job, keep the pics coming!

Meatface

Nice going Steve & company ! I'd say you all had a great time carp fishing ! I see you have a can of corn ? on the ground ......and I was just wondering about using corn for bait when get a quick impulse to grab the rod and go carping .....which brings me to the question , what corn is better , canned or frozen . The canned corn sits in liquid as opposed to frozen which may be tougher and stay on the hook longer ? and then there's fresh corn on the cob ??? What a dilemma ......... :read:

Believe it or not brands are different,. Some harder, some softer or smaller..The no frills corn will stay on the hook well and is usually consistant in regards to it's firmness ( is that even a word? lol). You can chum the water around your hookbait with either but the frozen corn will be cheaper. .........Cornology100

I'll let the pictures do the talking :)

591ab36b.jpg

DSC_0823.jpg

Good times. Thanks for the post guys

DSC_0829.jpg

DSC_0838.jpg

DSC_0850.jpg

DSC_0869.jpg

DSC_0877.jpg

DSC_0897.jpg

DSC_0924.jpg

DSC_0929.jpg

Good times! Thanks for the post guys

feed corn...best durability as is is pretty inedible from a human standpoint but after softening it by boiling it will survive the gobies, stays on a hair rig for a good long time so you don't waste time re-rigging every cast.

tregunno seed in hamilton sells it, as pigeon feed mainly, don't know about the niagara area but any similar store should have it. cheap too.

Thanks everyone!

Fishon and I decided to give the bass a break and went carping for the morning (before it got unbearably hot). It turned out to be another fun outing! We went 5/7 with the carp. We each also got a small bullhead, and Jesse got a little largie on his first cast with a buzzbait during a lull in the carp fishing.

I'm going to do a detailed post tomorrow on the exact rig we've been using, which IMO should work in any of the waters around this area. It's relatively simple and seems to work consistently, so stay tuned!

Here are some pics from today

ff8f1f6b.jpg

20db355d.jpg

d58fb692.jpg

6572bf27.jpg

4fa89496.jpg

Thanks guys :)

I'm working on that post as promised...taking a little longer than I thought, but should be good when it's done. I'll be back at work tomorrow and have a meeting after that, so hopefully I'll be able to finish it up later tomorrow night.

Archived