Whirlpool Garbage Clean Up

niagarangler89

Hey everyone,

Many of you have suggested NFN organize some sort of clean up event in an attempt to combat those pesky litterbugs that seem to frequent our fishing holes. After a long work in progress, I'm extremely excited to announce that in partnership with The Friends of the Niagara Glen, we are invited to take part in a garbage clean up event down at the Whirlpool on Saturday, July 28th from 10am-2pm.

This event was originally going to be solely focused on graffiti-removal, but after discussing the potential for volunteers from NFN, they decided to do a combined event. Volunteers will be cleaning up garbage at the Pool, whereas Friends of the Glen staffers will be looking after the graffiti down in the Glen.

Friends of the Glen will be providing all the supplies at no cost (gloves, paper pickers, garbage bags, etc). All we have to do is show up (hopefully in large numbers) and get to work!

Everyone will be meeting in the Niagara Glen parking lot shortly before 10:00am. From there we will be split into groups and directed to our clean up areas (concentrated around the Whirlpool). This will be a child-friendly event, so feel free to bring the whole family out!

It's important to note that there will be a 'Sign In/Out Sheet', which is purely for safety purposes. Please try to remember to Sign In before heading down the Gorge and to Sign Out when you get back up.

Keep posted because I will have more information once I get the official email.

And remember guys and gals, this wasn't initially going to be a garbage clean up event, but after I suggested recruiting volunteers from NFN, they decided the combined event would in fact be feasible. So let's "put our money where our mouths are", and show that our online community is truly capable of making a difference!

I forgot to mention that this is a perfect way for members to finally meet and network! Hope to see a bunch of you out there!!

Love it! Don't think I can make it, although I almost want to change my current plans so that I can. :(

Love it! Don't think I can make it, although I almost want to change my current plans so that I can. :(

Lol...I'm scheduled to work that day, but I can already tell I'm going to be too sick to make it in :P

Thanks Steve for making this event happen . It shows your a class act that cares about the future of our great fishing holes and resources. My hats off to you my friend !

Thanks Steve for making this event happen . It shows your a class act that cares about the future of our great fishing holes and resources. My hats off to you my friend !

Agreed, Great initiative, i think this is a great idea, I will be trying to move around plans too... good job man... :clapping:

I will try to be there to lend a hand and meet the people of NFN. Great Job Steve.......

That's great,I don't fish there but I hike the trails in there and the graffiti is getting pretty bad.Lots of stupid stuff painted on beautiful landscape is ALMOST as annoying as garbage layin around.Good on you guys.

Here's a great place to toss garbage out....been happening for years at Jordan Harbour where visitors come to photograph the old ship . They must think Canadians are a bunch of sloppy red necks . "Some" of the garbage is fishing packaging , worm boxes .....I pick up another bunch of fishing line & took some worm boxes home which I re-use . It's really sad to see so many people have degenerated into slobsville over the years .......Here's a collage of todays Slobsville Dump , and it's only a small part of the total mess down there . A lot more trash has been tossed over the slope and all the way to the QEW bridge , on both sides of the highway .....then there's the east side...... :wall:

this trash is between the 4 other cars parked beside my van.......

jordan%2520CDP.jpg

Is there a way to find out if the NPC will allow an 8 year old to participate ?

I want to help, and would really like to bring my fishing buddy... What a great way for a child to learn that he can make a difference.

Thanks

Cam

Is there a way to find out if the NPC will allow an 8 year old to participate ?

I want to help, and would really like to bring my fishing buddy... What a great way for a child to learn that he can make a difference.

Thanks

Cam

Cam, you're more than welcome to bring your fishing buddy (just remember that he will be solely under your supervision)!

I agree that this is really a great opportunity to teach your children some valuable life lessons....some of us older folk need a little reminder every now and again too :)

Looking forward to possibly meeting yourself and your fishing buddy, Cam!

That's be awesome Doc! We will definitely need some people at the top, so if anyone else isn't able to or doesn't feel like making the hike down/up then you are welcome to help out up top!

Also, I should've mentioned this earlier...you don't have to commit yourself for the entire 4 hours. Come and go whenever works with your schedule!

Thanks for all the support everyone!

Also, I should've mentioned this earlier...you don't have to commit yourself for the entire 4 hours. Come and go whenever works with your schedule!

Agreed...4 hours is alot of time; especially if we get a good amount of support. It can be completed in a shorter period; resulting in a longer fishing period... ;)

I was there on Saturday and I did take up a garbage bag of litter...there was another guy in a black t-shirt...he combed the area well...good on him. Some people saw and were very supportive of what we were doing...

It's very sad that fishermen have to pick up after other fishermen ! We all have a lot in common to do with the out doors but obviously some just don't get it . These people who show no regard for the environment , which includes wild life , probably don't show any respect for people , including kids who may cut themselves on the broken glass . Sickening ! I would like to see fines for littering START at $500 .....not $50 ! Make it worth while for the cops or mnr to write up a ticket .

I may or may not be there depending on the weather here up north. But this is awesome would love to see pictures put onto the site. Looks like there will be a decent turn out!

Sounds good Jordan! I'll be taking tons of pictures, so if you miss it, don't worry!

Here's the official media release:

Many Hands Make Light Work!

Friends of the Niagara Glen Group Clean-up Day July 28

Niagara Falls, ON – The Niagara Parks Commission (NPC), in partnership with the Friends of the Niagara Glen and members of the local fishing community, will be hosting a clean-up event in the Niagara Glen and Whirlpool Forest on July 28 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. All are welcome to join the group and come out to help remove litter and graffiti from these magnificent natural areas. All help is appreciated!

The Niagara Glen is an undeniable treasure trove of natural beauty. The rugged terrain masks a much more sensitive side that needs our help. Approximately 490 species of vulnerable plants and animals call the Glen home and an unprecedented number of them are listed as either “at risk” or “rare” in the province; one of the largest concentrations anywhere in Ontario.

Interested participants are asked to meet at the entrance at the top of the main access stairs, just prior to the 10:00 a.m. start time. Those planning to spend the afternoon are encouraged to bring their own lunch, snacks and refillable water bottles. Proper footwear suitable for rugged terrain is required.

The Niagara Glen Nature Centre also opens daily at 10 a.m., and visitors are invited to explore educational displays including “Animals of the Glen”, as well as nature and geology touch tables and interpretive panels on the flora and geology of the Niagara Glen. Hand carved wood products by Master Carver Frank Kim, framed artwork by local artist Paul Augustino and paintings by members of the Parkway Artists Guild are all on sale at the centre. Daily hiking tours are also available twice daily at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.

The Niagara Glen is located at 3050 Niagara Parkway, across from the Whirlpool Golf Course. The Nature Centre’s exhibits are all fully accessible; however, the hiking trails are not.

About the Friends of the Niagara Glen Group

The mission of the Friends of the Niagara Glen is to be a self-sustaining and motivated not-for-profit community initiative that promotes land stewardship ethics, educational experiences and sustainable outdoor recreation practices along the Niagara River corridor reserve, in concert with the mandate, mission and vision of The Niagara Parks Commission. The group envisions an ecologically sensitive Park area kept for future generations by increasing environmental awareness and stewardship practices through community involvement. New members are always welcome to join.

Great.....Im coming to help out and contribute a bit of time to clean up. I might need an airlift up though...lol see you there.

Archived