Whirlpool Garbage Cleanup (The Aftermath)

niagarangler89

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to do a quick post about how things went this past weekend down at the Whirlpool.

I was thrilled with the turnout we got! There were 8 of us who made the hike down to the Whirlpool to collect garbage and glass, and about the same amount of people in another group who concentrated on graffiti removal in the Glen.

As smerch already mentioned, we ended up collecting about 2 full bags of garbage and a big bucket full of broken glass. There wasn't as much garbage as we had anticipated, which is probably because there have been some conscientious individuals taking it upon themselves to perform their own cleanups. Those individuals remain annonymous, however their efforts do not!

All in all, it was an extremely fun and successful day. New friendships were formed, fishing information exchanged, and the Whirlpool left garbage-free.

I'm looking forward to other similar kind of events, such as the one meatface is organizing. I commend you for your efforts bud (I know how much work's involved)! Hopefully we get a good turnout of NFNers to that event as well!

I'd also like to personally thank some of our members for coming out:

Bill a.k.a. smerchly--Who knew you'd beat all us young'n's up the Gorge!? For not being down there in 20 years, you put us to shame! Thanks again for all the tips on mending broken rods; I think I'm going to make that a fall project! See you out near the water soon enough my friend!

Paul a.k.a. dr_feelgood--It was nice to finally meet you! Thanks for taking care of everything up at the top! Wish you all the best in your recovery!

Dave a.k.a. DaveC and Emma--(I really hope I got your granddaughter's name right Dave!) Still can't believe you guys made the trip in from Cambridge! Can't thank you enough. You're a stand up guy and I promise I'll get out shore fishing the Glen with you this Fall!

Brian a.k.a. Brian_B--Really nice meeting you man! Thanks for coming in all the way from Hamilton! Wish the fishing was better, but like we were saying...salmon and trout aren't too far away! We'll meet up again soon!

And last but not least, one of my closest friends, Jesse a.k.a. fishon!--I know I don't have to say it, but I'm gonna anyways...Thanks for being there man! And so it continues bud...here's to wishin' this adventure never ends!

I'd also like to thank Corey, Bruce, Shannon, and NPC/Friends of the Glen for organizing such an event and integrating our members into it.

And as always, some... garbage...pr0n(?)

75a7f3b6.jpg

98c64877.jpg

P1010858_1.jpg

066b46dc.jpg

8ab2c49f.jpg

P1010861_1.jpg

1a2839f3.jpg

Awesome Steve, I was suprised that the pool was really not bad....I have seen it alot worse. Its good to know that people have been getting better at bringing out thier garbage.The Niagara Glenn and Whirlpool is an awesome place....I love the scenery and the fishing there. These places need to be looked after for future generations. I explain these things to my kids / grandkids constantly. It was great to be able to get out for a few hours....get some excerise and lend a hand. For sure Steve, this fall we will get out. I want to try the Glenn...never fished the area where I think you go. I fish the pool, Pebbly, and Queenston, so I will have to give the other area a try. Nice meeting you all !!

Cliffy .....I wouldn't think of wearing my prized WHITE NFN shirt to do garbage duty ! I have a tendency to get down and dirty when collecting trash ......... :crazy:

The fishing afterward was not the best; nothing like the weekend before. A few smaller bass were caught; nothing really picture worthy.

But still...A bad day of fishing is better than....lol

Coming back up those stairs the second time around; that was just a thrill...

It was nice to meet some of the guys;great effort by all. I was happy at the end; you had to look around thoroughly to find garbage.

Cliffy .....I wouldn't think of wearing my prized WHITE NFN shirt to do garbage duty ! I have a tendency to get down and dirty when collecting trash ......... :crazy:

I supplied Steve with 10 for members to keep

Thanks for suppling the shirts Cliff....we represented NFN and our work was appreciated. I had several people say thankyou for what we were doing as we walked around. My grand daughter kept saying, are we stopping again papa? I hate that walk back up, specially when I was already hot and sweaty from our work down there. She climbed it like a trooper no problem.

Archived