Pute Modems ?

smerchly

We are using Cogeco and are running a reg pc and a laptop using a Linsky wireless router . Lately , we have been having many short freeze-ups , long load ups and even typing here is sometimes very slooooow .....We have been told the modem should be replaced ....it's about 7 yrs. old ....any ideas ?

Yeah, Cogeco will blame the modem. I would suggest you try plugging your computer directly to your cogeco box for a short test and see if you have the same trouble. If you do then it probably isn't the modem. Also try rebooting the router (unplug for a few minutes). If that doesn't help try rebooting your cogeco box. Depending on what you have there may be a small reset button on the back. Other than that I can say that Cogeco sucks! I've had several major outages with them this summer, one lasting 2 days, the other over 24 hours. I find that they are terrible, I often have to reboot my cable box and often the service is just aweful. I really wish there were better options at times. Just keep in mind that their default position is to always blame the customers hardware.

They will lay a ton of blame on the owners lack o knowledge. I have a fair understanding of computers, not super by far but I can talk circles around their techs. Drives me up the wall. As soon as I cornered them once they informed me they couldn't discus it with me as my name isn't on the account.

Needless to say they have replaced the modem three or four times now

I'm running like dial up right now .....takes a long time between clicks to a new page . Funny thing is my wife is on the lap top via wireless router from the modem and running fine . A teckkie from Cogeco is coming on the 10th to check out the modem . I have given the modem a little tap & sometimes it fixed the problem ,,,,,,dirt maybe ...

wow that post was instant !!!

I should have mentioned my windows 7 is not a genuine copy .....may have buy one ......

Well , the Cogeco guy just left .......the OLD modem was toast and also the outside connection was corroded . The pute is running good now , except for the videos . I must wait for the vid. to fully load before the sound & movie are in full sync. The lap top plays vids . fine , with the signal coming from the same source via wireless router which means , I need a new video card .

The guy from Cogeco likes to fish for bass . He is from Kitchener and doesn't know this area well for bass fishing . He has read some of our forums on NFN & I told him I am the Smerch and we have a lot of bass info for him to read .......very nice fellow ! He also likes to build rods for a hobby .......what a small world ......

I love cogeco services and they are by far the best around here. My fiancée has bell at work because she has no choice and man they are slow. Glad they replaced the modem. Its only good for 3-4 years tops. Switch the phone , tv and net and get a fantastic bungle package no company around here can match the quality or speed. We checked em all

Usually if its a speed problem and you have connected directly to your PC with out the router and ran a speedtest.net and its still slow then it is almost always a drop issue which they can replace outside. I had one sub complain when they were on for 50mbps and all they could get was .25mpbs, I hung a new drop to the house and retested pc and wouldnt you know it 48.5mbps!!!! equipment usually isnt the issue but techs will say it is so they dont have to trouble shoot

also I have found that routers usually last for a few years before they start acting up, if you find yourself resetting the router daily just to make it work, it is time to replace it

Thanks faf..... The guy tested the speed without the router and said the speed was good . It is running very fast now except for the initial start , playing vids . I was just on You Tube playing a few Floyd songs & the auto play worked fine . Some nights at this time the pute runs slower .I am going to get rid of the router & go to a Dlink ,,,,,just missed a good sale at Best Buy .

Try emptying your cache (computer cleanup), then run a disk defrag, after that click start-run type in chkdsk and let it run. chkdsk verifies the file system and fixes errors. I do this weekly and it keeps my comp running tip top :D

Archived