Puff Ball Mushrooms

ninepointer

They are very edible and tasty as well .....but , they have a rubbery texture compared to shrooms . I went looking this morning for mushrooms at a spot I got lots last year , but it has very dry this year and it showed there today ....no shrooms !

Slice em thin, fry em in a pan with garlic herbs and butter till they brown a bit, Amazing!

That will work great ! JWL , an old poster here , made a lasagna using the sliced puffball in place of noodles . You can also slice and bag them and freeze them for soups or steaks etc. Try and get them fresh before turning brown .

Wow, those are some big puff balls. My dad would bring these home and cook them but I never got used to the rubbery texture. I preferred the shaggy mane mushrooms. We used to find them all over Henley Island but I haven't seen them the last few years. They were good sauted in butter with onion, salt and pepper.

We picked up two yesterday out duck hunting. Dropped one off with a local farmer and took the other home to have with steak. Sliced up the puff ball, put on some olive oil and spices/cheese and right on the grill with the steaks. Turned out amazing!! It was funny cause my brother was just saying he hasn't seen puff balls in years as we rounded a bend and I was like "theres 2 right there!" He just about died!! That was the only highlight of our duck hunt :P

They can reach 12" in diameter . This one was grown in Britain where the climate gets plenty of rain .....took this out of Wiki......freezing them may not be the best thing .....eat'em fresh.

The giant puffball, Calvatia gigantea (earlier classified as Lycoperdon giganteum), reaches a foot (30 cm) or more in diameter, and is difficult to mistake for any other fungus. It has been estimated that a large specimen of this fungus when mature will produce around 7 × 10¹² spores. If collected before spores have formed, while the flesh is still white, it may be cooked as slices fried in butter, with a strong earthy, mushroom flavor. It can often be used in recipes that would ordinarily call for eggplant. It does not store well in a freezer - the entire freezer rapidly acquires a strong mushroom smell.

giant%2520puff%2520ball.jpg

A caution was mentioned about an old dry puffball that if kicked open , the spores are not good for the lungs , especially kids . I remember kicking a few of them but didn't inhale ........

That would make one heck of a stuffed mushroom!

Any idea where I could go to see them? Not too interested in eating, but I've only seen a few little ones as a kid, and I'm trying to learn more about edible plants. There's tons of shrooms in my back woods, but no puffballs so far. Woodend or another nature area, maybe?

I've seen most puff balls growing in the woods and at the edges where the regular mushrooms grow . We had a ton of rain last night and this morning , that should help them grow.

Archived