State Side

YakFisher

Everyone is right here, 18 mile in olcott is a zoo. Oak orchard will also be a zoo but i would recommend it over 18 mile anyday. especially once hunting season opens. the Erie tribs are much nicer, at least the close ones. Once you get out to the PA and OH erie tribs, they have the same salmon blood lust that you see here. But since they dont have salmon in their tribs (not much anyway), they have that blood lust for steel. The same shenanigans of 20 guys standing around one single pool and snagging them is exactly the same. luckily the same thing happens when hunting season starts and the weather turns, and a lot of the hooligans leave.

I can say that some of the erie tribs are fishing well right now despite the low flows. it might be worth taking a peek. There will be much more fish in general in the Lake O NY tribs but mostly dirty boots, with some trout in the lower slower waters trickling in behind the chinooks. But overall you'd have a better chance at catching in the Lake O tribs.

In your post, you make it sound like its not a big deal if you catch fish or not, your there for the experience. Take it from me and some of the other guys here who have seen the gong show, if you are going for a nature or fishing or scenery experience, you will not find it this time of the year at Burt Dam. It's a slaughterfest with a blatant disregard for keeping shores clean, fishing etiquette, or even manners. It's just battle-fishing shoulder to shoulder snag festival.

well put thats exactly the conditions. if anyone ever needs updates on ny erie tribs i can help you out. and ill be happy to give you some spots all you have to do is ask

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what about my first question?

no i wouldnt go at all. there would be no use for that river unless all erie tribs are blown out and niagara is chocolate. then maybe later on in november for the steel and coho. but just to go for fun. hell no!!!

what about my first question?

Steve, what are you referring to?? I think what your saying is he's only interested in stripping hens of the eggs. You have no idea that is the case....your just assuming this. And furthermore, even if he was...he is entitled to 3 fish. Center_ Pin has offered any help on NY tribs....He is correct in saying when the hens are in, nothing wrong with that. By that time, the salmon slayers are gone......and you might be able to actually fish. He did also say he would not go unless other tribs where all blown out and not fishable.....he has no reason to go there when he can fish other places closer.... I think what you are trying to point out is for the sake of stripping eggs. Please....dont start a war here on assumptions.

Steve, what are you referring to?? I think what your saying is he's only interested in stripping hens of the eggs. You have no idea that is the case....your just assuming this. And furthermore, even if he was...he is entitled to 3 fish. Center_ Pin has offered any help on NY tribs....He is correct in saying when the hens are in, nothing wrong with that. By that time, the salmon slayers are gone......and you might be able to actually fish. He did also say he would not go unless other tribs where all blown out and not fishable.....he has no reason to go there when he can fish other places closer.... I think what you are trying to point out is for the sake of stripping eggs. Please....dont start a war here on assumptions.

but its true i need my eggs as does every other fisherman. besides I im very conservitive with my eggs and fish ill keep about 10- 15 hens a year but i fish like an animal so it dosnt go to wast thats for sure. But i do wish we can milk some eggs gently from a hen into a baggy, and release the hen to finish spawning and return next year.

not an assumption.

just some are more open to admitting it than others.

for that i actually commend centrepin! some fisherman aren't afraid to admit it ---- others are.

10-15 hens a year multiplied by the number of trout fisherman using brown trout eggs... equals the reason why we don't catch 20lbs hens in the lake.

also good to hear they aren't going to waste....wish we could say the same for the majority....slit hens line the rivers, or the dalhousie ditch, all fall/winter.

This thread was originally about fishing Olcott Ny.....I will answer your PM. Thread Closed.

Archived