State Side

YakFisher

lol you never been there, before you say im negative and all that. go fish there, and if you can truly say you had a good experiance then you dont know what good fishing is. it dosent matter how many fish you catch, it matters on the experiance and when i say that i mean when you are fishing a hole you dont have the threat of people standing in front of you and fishing your hole while your there. or if you float fish someone come to your right and starts throwing 10oz of lead in front of you. thats what i meant also there is only about 1/4 mile of river you can fish so that with 500 guys plus and it equals a CLASSLESS zoo with people fighting, over spots and every 5 seconds some SPHINCTER has a fish snagged in the BUTTOCKS and is fighting it in your hole so you dont get to have a good fishing experiance. Oh if you go have fun...lol

You are really negative. What's the problem with just enjoying a day on the water,trying a new place, being a part of nature and maybe catching a fish or two, but not being upset when you don't?

Its about the journey, not the destination

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YakFisher, I too thought you were talking about the 18mile out of Erie. I agree with Center_Pin. That place is a zoo of loogans. He is not kidding and is just giving you a heads up thats all. If you do a youtube search and check out some of the videos you,ll see what he means. Elbow to Elbow intentional snagging...not a good experience. I would try the 18 mile that flows from Erie or the Cattaraugus will be a much better experience with some beautiful scenery and less unethical fishing and the chance to connect with some steelies.

I got the idea from Canadian sportfishing. Italo was on the 18 mile creek, just past Hamburg. It looked like a great fishery, I appreciate all the advice, but I'd still like to see for myself.

I'm curious about trying the 18 mile creek. Its it worth it? I saw italo on TV fishing it, looked pretty good.

$15 a day for a license if you are a foreigner.

Anyone interested in joining me? I'll bring the booze. Lol.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's buttocks, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it." - Tommy Boy

So, if you were gonna go regardless of the warnings of it being too busy, why did you front the question in the first place? ;) If you ask for advice, take it...don't pass it off from guys that have been there. If you want to stand arm to arm with snaggers, you can do that around here!!!

I would maybe ask, "Is there a better trib you can recomend other than 18 mile?"

PS - I don't recomend drinking booze over there...you could get kicked out and banned from an entire country! LoL

your talking about 18 mile creek on erie, 18 mile is in hamburg ( you dont even have your area right) buddy do yourself a solid and just fish what you know.

I got the idea from Canadian sportfishing. Italo was on the 18 mile creek, just past Hamburg. It looked like a great fishery, I appreciate all the advice, but I'd still like to see for myself.

I saw that show and Italo was fishing 18 mile ( lake Ontario) above Olcott and yes it can be a zoo, best to go during the week and another good Lake Ontario trib is the Oak which flows through Oak Orchard ny. It is not as big a zoo but stay away from burt dam thats a snagging paradise

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it." - Tommy Boy

So, if you were gonna go regardless of the warnings of it being too busy, why did you front the question in the first place? ;) If you ask for advice, take it...don't pass it off from guys that have been there. If you want to stand arm to arm with snaggers, you can do that around here!!!

I would maybe ask, "Is there a better trib you can recomend other than 18 mile?"

PS - I don't recomend drinking booze over there...you could get kicked out and banned from an entire country! LoL

America was pretty much founded on booze! :santa:

[media=]

[/media]Check out the type of fishing at Burts Dam.....Listen carefully as the guy says he already caught 9. Including the one he is fighting hooked in the side. Trust us, Yakfisher....these clowns over there...and Im not saying they are all clowns, but a good part of them are. Its a drunk fest of Loogans.....If thats the kind of fishing your into, have at it. You came in here and asked for advice....people have gave you that. There is plenty of other more enjoyable places to fish...but thats your choice. Nobody is on your case....just pointing out the facts to you.....good luck, have fun.

A Coca cola tab on his hook...........What a joke.

[media=]

[/media]

More good ole Burt Dam fishing....lol all we are missing is someone to play dualing banjos...you sure you want to go there yakfisher?

I was at Bronte today and it looked a lot like both of those videos. At the downstream bridge, there were more than a dozen people lined up on their lawn chairs. Ghetto blaster pounding, the smell of pot smoke in the air, mullets everywhere. But, all you have to do is go up stream to where all those guys are too lazy to waddle and its empty water.

I caught two salmon,one a legal catch with an egg sucking leech pattern, and the other was a snag that I couldn't shake off. I also caught a decent smallie on the leech pattern too. At first I thought it was a small brown, because if the light color, so I got all excited.

Good day though.

I still plan in trying one of the 18 mile creeks.

But thats the problem, there isnt much river to fish maybe a 1/4 mile thatsbit and those guys dont have any fishing edicate like for instance dont hook the guy across river from you, dont walk through another guys fishing hole, stop fishing when somone has a fish on, not use trebble hooks and egg sinkers to hook salmon in the buttocks. lol thats just to name a few

I was at Bronte today and it looked a lot like both of those videos. At the downstream bridge, there were more than a dozen people lined up on their lawn chairs. Ghetto blaster pounding, the smell of pot smoke in the air, mullets everywhere. But, all you have to do is go up stream to where all those guys are too lazy to waddle and its empty water.

I caught two salmon,one a legal catch with an egg sucking leech pattern, and the other was a snag that I couldn't shake off. I also caught a decent smallie on the leech pattern too. At first I thought it was a small brown, because if the light color, so I got all excited.

Good day though.

I still plan in trying one of the 18 mile creeks.

A day licence is about $15 x5 $75.00 online, if you fish the niagara or erie or Ontario and and cross that "imaginary" line and you don't have it when they check ,and you can bet those bastards will check...cha ching! then it will be ,"i shoulda bought a full one,damnit"..lol..just saying.

Hey Yak,don't listen to the negativity, I have fished 18 mile on Erie many times over the last few years and have yet to have a bad experience. Have also done Burts ,and yes there are some tools there ,but I have also met some real good people there. I guess its all in the day and the full moon...lol.

I am off the week of the 15th if you want to head over one morning during the week ,I'm game ,either of the lake tribs are good.

Hey Yak,don't listen to the negativity, I have fished 18 mile on Erie many times over the last few years and have yet to have a bad experience. Have also done Burts ,and yes there are some tools there ,but I have also met some real good people there. I guess its all in the day and the full moon...lol.

I am off the week of the 15th if you want to head over one morning during the week ,I'm game ,either of the lake tribs are good.

Originally he was talking about the 18mile in Olcott NY. 18 mile Erie and the Catt are fine...nobody was talking negatively about the Erie Tribs. It was only suggested to Yak that there was better places like the Erie tribs that would provide a better experience. I think there was some confusion as to what trib he was talking about. Burts dam is a waste of time as far as I am concerned....but if thats a place you enjoy fishing, have at it. Hope you have a good time....Im wanting to get over there myself sometime soon.

Originally he was talking about the 18mile in Olcott NY. 18 mile Erie and the Catt are fine...nobody was talking negatively about the Erie Tribs. It was only suggested to Yak that there was better places like the Erie tribs that would provide a better experience. I think there was some confusion as to what trib he was talking about. Burts dam is a waste of time as far as I am concerned....but if thats a place you enjoy fishing, have at it. Hope you have a good time....Im wanting to get over there myself sometime soon.

burt dam is a great fishery dont get me wrong, i dont go untill the brown hens arrive and by then most of the salmon are gone and when the salmon die off most of those yahoos are gone for hunting season. so id say end if oct- mid november is when i fish it.

I can be certain you dont fish it as much as i do and yes its a amazing fishery and i know spots where it could be a trickle of water and these pools will be deep and full of fish. but what in saying is if you dont kniw water levels and clarity then you will not do good. erie tribs blow out easy and fast. and erie tribs dont fish good at all dirty. so just check forcastes and hope fish it on its way down and clearing up

I'd love to, but I'm out of town that week. Going to be out in Calgary and the surrounding areas for my birthday. Going to be doing a lot of fishing, up in the mountains, in the city, on the prairie streams. Etc. My mom got me a guided trip for my birthday. Going to be a trout filled vacation.

would you still go if you weren't allowed to take those hens for eggs?

didn't they also reduce the brown trout allowed to be kept per person?

I am strictly catch and release and I only use artificial bait. Only time I ever keep a fish, is when I'm camping.

Everyone is right here, 18 mile in olcott is a zoo. Oak orchard will also be a zoo but i would recommend it over 18 mile anyday. especially once hunting season opens. the Erie tribs are much nicer, at least the close ones. Once you get out to the PA and OH erie tribs, they have the same salmon blood lust that you see here. But since they dont have salmon in their tribs (not much anyway), they have that blood lust for steel. The same shenanigans of 20 guys standing around one single pool and snagging them is exactly the same. luckily the same thing happens when hunting season starts and the weather turns, and a lot of the hooligans leave.

I can say that some of the erie tribs are fishing well right now despite the low flows. it might be worth taking a peek. There will be much more fish in general in the Lake O NY tribs but mostly dirty boots, with some trout in the lower slower waters trickling in behind the chinooks. But overall you'd have a better chance at catching in the Lake O tribs.

In your post, you make it sound like its not a big deal if you catch fish or not, your there for the experience. Take it from me and some of the other guys here who have seen the gong show, if you are going for a nature or fishing or scenery experience, you will not find it this time of the year at Burt Dam. It's a slaughterfest with a blatant disregard for keeping shores clean, fishing etiquette, or even manners. It's just battle-fishing shoulder to shoulder snag festival.

Archived