Spekkie Fishing.

honeyv

So before I risk the chance of getting reamed out... I'm fully aware that the season is closed. I'm simply asking for next season LOL. Does anyone know of any local areas that hold specs? I've had that hardest time locating them locally and while I love going to my other spots further away, I was wondering if there was any streams that would support a healthy population in Niagara that would save me a good drive and $ on gas. Not looking for personal hot spots... I don't mind doing the work, but just a nudge in the right direction is all I ask.

Thanks.

good luck. I have spent hundreds of hrs and hundreds on gas only to come up empty. Not to say there is not a spot but very hard pressed to have someone give up their spot. Trust me I have tried asking and tried driving and hiking. Great walks but no speckies. Again GOOD LUCK. And btw if somebody does giv you a spot please please PM me LOL.

jeff

THere are very few locales in this part of the province, south of the 401, that produce specks. They are well kept secrets, as it would not take much pressure to crash the population

They're in the upper reaches of 12 mile creek south of the Short Hills. I don't know where exactly, but I've read enough to know they're there.

My feel is that there are more than a few on these boards who know where they are, but wouldn't share that info for anything.

I am relatively new to fishing but have spent some time in the last 2 years in that specific area looking for brookies- I have been moderately successful with browns soon after the season opener but as yet have not caught a brookie. IMO, I think this area is probably the only cold water system in Niagara, and isn't worth targeting brookies unless you are just as interested in the hike as the fish. Even though it is considered a cold water source, it warms very quickly in the spring and before long I was only catching suckers, creek chub, and even smallies (although OOS). As well, with especially low water levels this year, I am guessing that most brookies are far up in the watershed (private property). Good luck.

There is only one cold water creek in Niagara and the brookie population is very stressed. If you really want to catch brookies check the MNR website where they have a list of lakes they stock for recreation fishing opportunities.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that the MNR website gave that info. I will for sure check it out.

like Dan said, only on place and very small trout, single barbless hooks would be best, there are so few left in there you can fish it every day for a week and maybe pick up one or 2 fish in the 4" range. It used to be a decent place before the birth of the internet...

I can not find this info right now. I know the MNR used to have a map of lakes they stocked with brookies for winter icefishing opportunities. I've seen this on some of the fishing shows too. Anyone friends with Cronzy on facebook?

Archived