Tackle Box Or Tackle Bag

Botchegalupe

I was thinking of replacing my tackle box with a tackle bag, does anyone have any suggestions? I do most of my fishing from a boat. I like the idea of being able to separate lures by type using the different boxes provided. One thing that really annoys me about tackle boxes is when someone fails to close it properly, I end up with fishing equipment all over the deck of my boat when it is picked it up.

I've been using a tackle bag for years. I find that they are way more versatile. I keep my space terminal tack and accessories in the outside pouches all the time and simply change up the trays inside depending on what species I am targeting. It's like having multiple boxes in one. However I must say most of them are not totally waterproof and stuff in the pockets will generally get "damp" in heavy rains. I simply put anything I don't want getting we into ziplocs.

Hoper this helps

S.

I prefer a bag that carries trays. I started with a Plano that carried 4 or 5 3600 size trays then quickly filled it and moved to a larger bag that carries four 3700 size trays and has lots of extra storage. I like being able to load it with the appropriate trays based on what and where I'm fishing that day.

The one I use now is by WFO sport fishing, I believe it's intended as a saltwater offshore bag.

I have 3 tackle boxes .......use them for nuts & bolts etc . I use the trays in my tackle bags now. When walking streams or lake shorelines the bags are better to carry . One bag has a shoulder strap to free up a hand for carrying other stuff & you can always have a tightly folded garbage bag in case of rain to cover your tackle bag . When I take my bike , I use a back pack to keep my tackle , food & bait in .A tackle box may be best if fishing from a boat.....no walking involved.

look at the browning bags they seem really cool and there is a new plano bag that has the hydro bottom. It lets you be able to place the bag in a few inches of water while keeping the contents dry. I'm also a market for a bag and will be buying either one for next summer.

If your one of those guys who BRINGS the KITCHEN SINK - I would suggest a Hockey Equipment Bag!

lol

Just kidding....

For a boat and lots of different tackle, a nice big TACKLE BOX would be best. Fits nicely in the corners and holds a ton of stuff.

For any other fishing (Shore, Tribs etc) I would reccomend a TACKLE BAG. So much easier to carry with a shoulder strap.

I do an awful lot of URBAN FISHING and TRIB WALKING, so I tend to keep things real light and simple. TO EACH THEIR OWN.... but there doesnt need to be:

- 100 plastics + (I only bring 3-4 of my top 3)

- 20 different Rapalas ( I bring 3)

- 30 Spinners ( I bring 3-4)

* Some tied roe bags and worms!

When you really get down to it, you dont want to not have what you need, but in reality - BRING your top (3) Go to Baits and Lures, and that is ALL YOU NEED!

If you have some big VALUE VILLAGE STORES in your area (Like I do here in the GTA) then this is a SWEET IDEA to get a bag at ridiculous prices:

- I go and pick out a "CAMERA BAG"! You can find some teriffic HIGH END CAMERA BAGS for like: $4-6 at Value Village. They have tons of different side pouches etc.

The cool thing is that if a zipper or something breaks, it only cost you $4-6 bucks. In the past TEN YEARS this is the only way I have got some GREAT CARRY BAGS.

Good Luck in your Search.

Sounds to me like you should have both:

1. Big TACKLE BOX for the BOAT

2. New TACKLE BAG for those river and shoreline adventures

I love tackle bags but I have burned trough 3 now ... Weak stitching being the theme in all of them especially if your making use of all pockets.

I have shopped locally for them but am thinking next time I'm near a big box store I'm gonna poke my head in there to see a better selection and hopefully a better quality product. Don't have an issue spending the money but it has to be a better quality product. Contacted both manufacturers and was informed it's older than the warranty, not an issue. Not posting names of the stores or brands.

If you want a tackle box for the boat, I would suggest one where you can use the "Plano" trays. If you fish different species and seasons, its nice to have the ability to switch the boxes quickly. There is usually a set of "drawers" for things that you keep in the boat all the time; terminal tackle, line, pliers etc., Make sure that the box has quality latches and hinges.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Plano-Guide-Series-Pro-System-Drawer-Box-7771&i=441790&aID=504T2A&merchID=4006

A tackle bag is great for walking or quick trips (keep in the car), as suggested already.

May I also suggest, that when stores are clearing out last years stock, buy then. I usually get great deals on soft tackle bags with the Plano boxes for the price of one or two trays of the trays. I probably have 15-20 Plano trays full of bass gear, 10 or so with other species gear and a few empty replacements. Then you also have an extra bag for when the other wears out. I will usually kill a bag a year...like stated before, seams and zippers usually go on them. It doesn't matter if its cheap or expensive, thats the first thing to go. Buy them when they're cheap, and you don't mind so much.

I like the small bag hold 5 lures boxes 10 x 6 i lure boxes all jig, next hooks sinker, top water, then bass, pickerle, I got a knife, pilers, spool line for back up reel, . and a reel

If you want a tackle box for the boat, I would suggest one where you can use the "Plano" trays. If you fish different species and seasons, its nice to have the ability to switch the boxes quickly. There is usually a set of "drawers" for things that you keep in the boat all the time; terminal tackle, line, pliers etc., Make sure that the box has quality latches and hinges.

http://www.gandermou...2A&merchID=4006

A tackle bag is great for walking or quick trips (keep in the car), as suggested already.

May I also suggest, that when stores are clearing out last years stock, buy then. I usually get great deals on soft tackle bags with the Plano boxes for the price of one or two trays of the trays. I probably have 15-20 Plano trays full of bass gear, 10 or so with other species gear and a few empty replacements. Then you also have an extra bag for when the other wears out. I will usually kill a bag a year...like stated before, seams and zippers usually go on them. It doesn't matter if its cheap or expensive, thats the first thing to go. Buy them when they're cheap, and you don't mind so much.

I just applied for a Nexus card, I think I will cross the river and visit this store.

I've been using an insulated cooler bag since my tackle bag was stolen in the spring and it works great. It has room for 4 large plastic plano trays and the front and side pockets hold my stringer/pliers/fillet knife/floats etc. The best thing about it is it's waterproof (and it was free from work). I've been waiting for a sale to replace it but will probably replace it with a larger cooler bag since it works so well for me.

look at the browning bags they seem really cool and there is a new plano bag that has the hydro bottom. It lets you be able to place the bag in a few inches of water while keeping the contents dry. I'm also a market for a bag and will be buying either one for next summer.

I have the Browning bag....its an awesome bag. Tons of room and holds 5 trays front , rear and side pouches and comes with a protective rain cover. great bag.

I have been using a flambeau tackle bag that i purchased at petes tackle years back for all my cranks and hard baits. I also keep a small plano tackle bag on the bow for the guy up front to use. They are easy to store and even easier to take inside after a day of fishing. The planos are good for shore fishing also.

I have a big Browning bag that holds 6 trays. For the 80 bucks I spent on it , I have to say it has held up pretty good. 2 years and a lots of use and a zipper or two has broke. Straps have held up great with probably 50lbs in it.

Go with Brownings.

I bought a Spider Wire bag from Canadian Tire early this year for shore fishing and really like it. I picked it up on sale and havnt had any big issues with it. The bag came with 4 good sized trays, but I only pack 3. I find adding the fourth tray makes removal of te trays difficult. The strap also squeeks like crazy but some hockey tape wrapped around the clip takes that away. Heres a link to the bag;

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/FishingLine/PRD~0781252P/Spider+Bag+with+Four+Tackle+Boxes.jsp?locale=en

I've been using bags for years now and love them...especially my new backpack style because its much easier to carry.

Tackle bag here, have upgraded 3x... the one I use now and am very happy with is a black Spiderwire bag from Canadian Tire. Holds 4 boxes, tons of pockets, waterproof bottom, and adjustable shoulder strap. I caught it on sale this year for $35.99.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_499983_-1

that's the bag, pretty sure mine has a little more red on it though. Couldn't find on CT website

Archived