Ice Fishing

Jason15

Good info here , and lots of variations to ice fishing gear , depending on the species involved . I have a rod that can handle a 10 lb fish & will also detect a smelt bite . (6-8 lb.mono) There are springs you can buy to add to the tip which are more sensitive than the rod to detect the "sniffers" . I have adapted a Bic cigarette lighter spring (under the flint) to one of my rods which works great for those fish that like to smell the food first . If by chance a large fish hits, the rod has enough backbone to handle it . I have some very short extra light rods for catching smelts (2 lb.mono) and some med/heavy for jigging walleye at Quinte .(10 lb mono) . Some like to balance the rod on a pin , or use zero gravity clip on floats in deeper water . And my best reel is a Sahara 750 .....not expensive but pretty reliable . There many variations to ice fishing which makes it so interesting and fun .

I typically ice fish for shallow panfish; perch or crappie, 3-20' of water, well into the new year when ice is thick and safe. Usually Lake St. Clair, Erie, Rondeau, and small reservoirs. The fish are typically very, very light biters that you'll seldom feel on the average rod. Stick the rod in the snow and hold the line in the hand, jigging very, very lightly, or not at all with live bait.

Line is more important than rod and reel. Think LIGHT, 2-4 lb, and buy a colored line; blue line really shows up against the snow and ice, making for easy handling. Brand, meh, buy whatever seems limpest and most sensitive, experiment a bit. I bring about six or eight rods, all rigged with different lures, much like a bass pro that doesn't want to waste time tying knots; if the 64th oz jig w mini twister tail isn't doing it, switch to the rod with the 1" swedish pimple, or the bait rod. I always have scented plastics, spikes, and usually minnows. Small minnows, or just a head or tail, mean less stripped hooks.

Spend money on good fingerless gloves, good winter clothing, a portable hut, a good auger, and electronics before you waste it on rod and reel combos over $20. The electronics are especially helpful; it's really more interesting when you can see a fish come off bottom for your lure, so much fun. A good sharp auger makes life easier, no need for a power auger unless you're up north with 2' of ice. The ice hut is worth it's weight in gold... just getting out of the wind on a frozen lake makes it sooo much nicer, and it heats up fast. Tweak your lures; swap high quality thin wire single barbless hooks for dull-ass trebles, and keep them SHARP.

Most guys don't bother ice fishing because they don't get fish. They're holding the rod in a gloved hand, using heavy line, and jigging it up and down like mad. The typical ice angler never feels most bites!!! Fish in winter are chillin'. They will often come in and hover, watching your lure. If you have the opportunity to fish shallow, it is a real learning experience when you can see what the fish are up to, and how fast they can inhale and eject your lure. Sure, sometimes they're aggressive, blasting in and going to town, but quite even the apex predators like big pike will just sit there and examine your minnow. Lots of good icecam footage on youtube.

TLDR version: Don't waste money on expensive ice fishing rods, and jig with the line in your hands to feel bites.

Happy ice fishing. Stay safe. Bring a spud, and make it thud.

Good post Icehut. If I can, I usually use a slip bobber when icefishing. Weight it so just the top of the bulb is exposed and the slightest pressure will sink it. In a hut it works well, In the open I usually use an oily fish scent poured in the hole to help with the deicing of the hole and the bobber, Smelt and other light bighting critters are easy to detect, If there is a current, I place a small chunk of snow on the line upcurrent of the bobber to keep it in the center of the hole. Many times the little buggers will not take the bait down but move it sideways. The moment you see the bobber away from the middle of the hole suspect a fish. Also with the bobber you can lift and slowly jig and then rerurn the bait. As said before, they will often just sit there watching.

Just get a 3-4 man pop up water wolf. Most two man hut are on a sled and with out a quad or snowmobile they are a pain in the neck to move. The pop up huts are cheap new and a 3-4 man is perfect for two people. You can sit two chairs in them and have 4-5 holes in front of you and leaves lots of room for heater and gear. Two man hut in pop up would be like sleeping in a single bed with a fat chick.

WaterWolf - Watch for sales at the big outlets like Bass Pro, or Gander Mtn over in Michigan. There's a really good little tackle shop called Bass Haven at Mitchell's Bay on Lake St. Clair; great selection of ice gear and good prices. I like to support local businesses cos if we don't, they won't be around. Another good one where the Grand enters the lake.

I can confirm what chasin_musky says... just pulling a one man foldup hut loaded with gear is a serious workout, though on clean black ice it's pretty fun. Attach the tow rope to a D-ring off the back of an old backpack, so the strain is spread out, makes life easier.

Bear in mind that shelters are easy to make. A toboggan, buckets, hinges, and some light plywood or heavy plastic will block the wind and make things much nicer.

Coyotehunter is right about bobbers. I frickin' love little teeny bobbers. They suspend your bait at the right height, wihout fail. I must have twenty or thirty little bits of cork, foam, and balsa in my icebox.

Egads, now I'm going to be dreaming about ice fishing. Lets hope we see some real winter weather this year.

Not to hijack the thread but what's a good price on them? I havent looked into before and thought they would cost as much as a camping tent, but a quick search showed they can be hundreds of dollars! Maybe I'll just cut a hole in the bottom of my tent lol. I just want something light and cheap. Anything out there for under $100?

We used a 9' x 9' canvas tent many years ago with a telescopic pole in the center inside & spiked the 4 corners down . We cut flaps in the floor (3 sides of a square) which could be duct taped for summer use . It did the job. There are some real nice portable huts now and lots of info on line to get an idea how anglers like them . My home made hut is roomy and works great , but is too heavy for me to handle alone or dragging out on ice with over 6" of snow . I also use 2 small portables , a one man & a two man (lady) . :)

Archived