Ice Fishing

Jason15

I know it's a bit early yet but I wanted to try and get a head start I have never been but have a friend who wants to take my son,gf and myself out. Whoat would be a good action rod, reel ? I'm interested in fenwick elites for rods and i'm open to options on reels.

Thanks

For ice fishing there is no need to spend a bunch on gear. I use the Sienna by Shimano it goes for around 30 bucks and is great for ice. Just make sure you get the smallest one, I believe it is the 1000 size.

Also, it is great to hear you buddy is taking you and the family. Just remember to keep a good eye on your little guy and don't let him near shore or anything. Probably wouldn't hurt to try and explain it to him either. If you haven't ice fished either read up on some safety things yourself. Like have a long rope, ice pick around your wrist. It really could save your life or someone else's.

Other then that just bring some minnows and you will have a blast.

If you're renting a hut get shorter rods. Usually the holes are pretty close to your seat

That's a good point i'll have to see what the plan is.

Also for rods. I would look at the St. Croix ice rods. Since Fenwick has left Canada and went to Asia there products have gone down hill big time.

thanks I considered St. Croix but figured it would be more $ but if fenwick is going offshore i may re consider

Yea there shouldn't be to much difference in the prices. Usually you can find the St. Croix ice rods for like 30 bucks. I know St. Croix has some rods made in Mexico, they are the lower end ones. Any of the Mojo rods are. I am not sure of the ice rods but all the others are made in the states. Which I would much rather have then something made in China.

I would not spend the $$ on a high end combo for a beginer.Hit your local tacle shop(Not crappy tire) & ask for a combo in the $30 range that will do for a while! If you get the ice bug spend a little more on a reel next year,more important then the rod.

I really liked suffix ice line last year.There is no 1 single line good for everything.If you are going for pike or fishing deep you need braid for the no stretch & durability,for pan fish i like 2-6 # mono.I would say #10 ice braid would be a good all around line with a lighter leader for small fish! I have around 14 setups to fine tune every species,water bodie.

i bought a set of 2 berkeley lightning pro combo's from crappy tire last year for $40 per pair and found them to be awesome. great backbone and light enough to feel subtle taps. i caught a ton of fish on them. i spooled them with trylene cold weather line. after trying several different brands of line that got tangled repeatedly i found that line stayed straight without the coils, and didn't break easy. i respooled all 4 of my ice rods with it.

i bought a set of 2 berkeley lightning pro combo's from crappy tire last year for $40 per pair and found them to be awesome. great backbone and light enough to feel subtle taps. i caught a ton of fish on them. i spooled them with trylene cold weather line. after trying several different brands of line that got tangled repeatedly i found that line stayed straight without the coils, and didn't break easy. i respooled all 4 of my ice rods with it.

I found the EXACT opposite with those combos & that line,strange?

Does anyone ice fish in Niagara? I remember seeing some people in the Green Ribbon Trail area of Martindale ice fishing when I was a kid, but i think the current is higher since they put in those island type things 15 years or so ago. I also heard people do Lake Erie, but you have to get way out there.

Other options i was thinking was the rec canal or jordan harbour.

Ideally, I'd like to stay local, but I know the weather around here isn't the best. Failing that, I guess I'll have to head north, or hit one of the higher elevation lakes in Western NY.

I would not spend the $$ on a high end combo for a beginer.Hit your local tacle shop(Not crappy tire) & ask for a combo in the $30 range that will do for a while! If you get the ice bug spend a little more on a reel next year,more important then the rod.

for sensitivity the rod is more important than the reel. if you are fishing in 60' of water you want to be able to feel that perch suck the minnow in cuz it aint always a tap tap tap kinda bite

The more showerler the softer the bite i have found When the fow reaches about 25 and deeper they tend to slam it on the way down so You have to pay extra attention to your line feel

The more showerler the softer the bite i have found When the fow reaches about 25 and deeper they tend to slam it on the way down so You have to pay extra attention to your line feel

Here is your best setup ever....A coat hanger fastened to the hut wall....roll of line over that. Dropped just off the bottom and a noose knot to go over the end of the hanger. Relax....have a beer ...when fish hits it trips the hanger and your free wheelin....LOL . Really dont take it from me....only ever ice fished 2 times. Worked like a charm for us though...no need to get to technical. Simple, easy, and works great. We bout the kit as well...like $60.00 for two rods/reels....reels are really cheap though. Even better find an old broker rod...put your spinning reel on and away you go.

Archived