Tufa(Toronto Urban Fishing Ambassadors) Visit The Whirlpool - "unofficial"

blairwelsh

Well, it is a couple days later .... but never too late to post our report.

Myself and some fellow members of TUFA

had the chance to get down to the Pool on Monday.

We set the date just before "Sandy"... and were crossing our fingers on the weather & conditions.

The reports looked good.

6.20am Mike & Dave show up outside my door, Micheal pulls in as well. We gather our gear into one car and head down the 401 west. Okay Mike, turn on the 403 and head on down to Niagara!

Weather was hanging at -1C - suppossed to get up to around 4-5C. Possibility of "some sunshine", but gray skies as we drove south. We make our way to the parking lot, break out our gear and begin the trek along the Trail. 2 of my friends have never been (Dave & Michael).

BlairDaveandMike.jpg

Water levels were low, visibility about 4-5 feet.

20 or so guys had the same idea and were scattered about the bowl. Quite on the western front.

- Started the morning working a spinner along the seams (No luck)

- Switched to bottom bouncing Worms, Roe, live minnows. (No Luck)

- Floated Worms, Roe, Minnows, Plastics, Marabou. (No luck)

MichealatthePool-equipmentsetup.jpg

Dave saw some Carp and began Chumming with some Corn. ??????

"You've come to the POOL and now your fishing for Carp" (to each their own - nobody else catching anything)

Dave was rewarded: FISH ON!

DaveFightingSecondCarpatPool.jpg

FISH LANDED:

DaveNetsCarp.jpg

Dave targeted them and caught em! He the MAN

DaveswhirlpoolCarpHeadshot.jpg

PART #2 (More pics) lol

The the release

DavesCarpatshoreofWhirlpool.jpg

We were all very happy with Dave's success! When in ROME and the "TROUT" aint producing... Catch some big fat CARP!

So, he repeated the process....

DavewithFishOn-BentRod.jpg

Another one on and landed!

NettedWhirlpoolCarp.jpg

BEAUTY!

DaveCarpSideShot.jpg

We stayed until around 3pm and then decided to head out. Unfortunately the Trout Bite was not in our favour that day.

Dave's CARP were the fish of the day.

Always nice to HEAD OUT 'HEAVIER" than when one arrives.

Good karma means to bring out some GARBAGE!

DaveCollectsGarbage.jpg

Fill that bag up!

We decided to head to PORT D (Show the other guys this jewel as well)

The STAIRMASTER 3000 lays ahead for our journey out.

NiagaraWhirlpool-StartoftheSTAIRMASTER3000.jpg

We head down the road into St. Catharines and over to Port D.

It was COLD, WINDY and BLEAK (lol)

Only guys out "Trying" at Trying ..... lol

MiachealMikeampDavePortD.jpg

Not much fish , sun never did come out .... But a GREAT DAY OUT! none the less.

THANKS NIAGARA for your Hospitality!

I shall return.

Great report Blair and pics....sometimes its just not on. At least your buddy got some action.Its not been on down there for sure. I absolutely hate the climb...but its good for ya. I dont know wbat it is but its been slow down there...Queenston as well. Hopefully things will pickup soon. Thanks for taking away some trash. I love fishing there, and people need to respect the gorge and clean up after themselves. Great report.

It's great to see you guys had a fun day out there . Maybe the trout were scarce , but the carp certainly entertained you ! And ditto for taking other peoples garbage out with you !! I notice this reflection right away .....2 guys in an eye ..... B) ....cool !

NettedWhirlpoolCarp.jpg

Great report! Nice Carp.

I was down there that day, remember seeing you in the yellow and orange haha probably said hi to you. I didn't get a sniff from the steel either unfortunately. Good work on the carp though

I was down there that day, remember seeing you in the yellow and orange haha probably said hi to you. I didn't get a sniff from the steel either unfortunately. Good work on the carp though

Hopefully... you saw me take my CLASSIC DIVE into the ROCKS (Good fall).

I even said to myself, dont STEP on that ONE - looks very slippery .... then what did I do

Stepped on it of course and went for a header.

Thankfully I was along more level safe shoreline. (Not the big rocks on the right or left or a cliff side)

Hands got the rug burn (Rock Burn & Bruises)and my pride was hurt.

Seems every time I head down to the Pool ... I take at least one fall.

* With the lower levels ... those slimey slippery ones are in full exposure

A little pain ... no glory.

lol

We only saw one Steelie landed all day (Not saying there wasnt any more) ... and one guy beside us pinning lost what looked like a nice brown. It was slow, that`s for sure.

See you soon I hope....

Even when `Skunked`at niagara it just sets the mind on wanting to get back down asap and learn some more!

*Less falling would be something to get right asap!

6.20am Mike & Dave show up outside my door, Micheal pulls in as well. We gather our gear into one car and head down the 401 west. Okay Mike, turn on the 403 and head on down to Niagara!

You guys should have taken the 427. Its about 5 KM shorter. Thus you would have gotten there four minutes earlier and the steelies would have been biting then. :)

scapulataf - LOL the funny thing is that we all really do THINK THIS at times.

Been fishing long enough to see, hear and personally experience almost every superstition there is!

Either your 5 minutes early or 5 minutes late.

Thank God we can all enjoy and live in the moment! No point in "overthinking or worrying" (My wife is good at that!)

cdnfishguy11 - Your offer is most gracious and accepted. I shall let you know (PM) when I am planning another great trip down to Niagara. In the meantime:

Hone some more of those great skills and knowledge you have acquired. I can be as "Thick as a brick" on occassion .... so the more ammo you have, the better.

lol

Archived