The Tug Is The Drug! Night Steel (Gta Chrome)

blairwelsh

* not great sound, but at least it's live! lol

The Tug is the Drug ... and at NIGHT it's even more Surreal.

BeautifulNightSteelLandingonRockswithBead.jpg
NightBow-HeadShot.jpg

Been doing very well heading out at Night to some local Tribs up here in the GTA.
Since "Sandy"... the action has become awesome.

*I mainly fish the same POOLS that during the day can be highly pressured. At night, the fish are relaxed and hungry ... others have MOVED UP and await my offerings.

Lets start with the SET UP:

- Light Action Rod & Reel (Fenwich 7' four piece, Patriarch Spin reel)
- 6 lb mono (NO LEADER)
- Small Egg Sinker (Sliding), #6 Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp Octapus hook, 2 Beads above bait (Sliding - not pegged)

THE OFFERING: Worms and Roe Bag (Buffet Style!) Been using this method since early in the Fall, and have not turned back. Cant figure if they really want the Roe or the Worm (or both?). Wanted to get the maximum of SCENT PRESENTATION. Sometimes, the worm is not there .... Sometimes the Roe Bag is gone..... At all times, there is some kind of BAIT on the hook. Produces very well.

THE METHOD: Basically, I am both BOTTOM BOUNCING & STATIC FISHING the pools & Deeper runs. I let the bait go right to the bottom and work it around the seems and pools. I will also let it just sit in a sandy area (or small gravel rocks) and let the scent bring the fish to it.

NightSteelwithBubbles.jpg

TAP TAP TAP ... The TUG is the DRUG!

TIGHT LINES are a must....
The Chrome will give it a couple of hard taps - the hook is set ... and the FIGHT BEGINS!

Head shakes, some long runs .... and then the EXPLOSIONS of ARIALS.
At night, sometimes you can barely see em dancing on the surface - but you can FEEL and HEAR them.
Whole different world. A Beautiful one!

BlairwithbigpieceofNightSteel.jpg

FirstBowonTheRockswithBeadinMouth.jpg

2ndHeadShotofChromeatNight.jpgThe Chrome are STRONG and FRESH!

MoreNightChromewithBlair.jpg

I love to fish at NIGHT!

BigChromeatnightwithFeet.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome Blair....i cant see to tie hooks very well or i would fish night more as well. Great feeling i know...done it many times

Great report Blair. Very detailed. I hooked a bass once at night... it was so dark I almost couldn't get the hook out cause I couldn't find it... It swam off.

Thanks for outlining your rig. Cheers.

Thank you! (All)

I have changed the Video to a better version Larry. lol

ps: On a side note, once you get into a GOOD THING (Night fishing) it's hard to stop.

Yeah, tough addiction

So went out last night as well and just SLAYED EM! Will be posting a report soon.

My outllook is that we all go through the BIG SKUNK DAYS and then when it's just RAINING FISH, well enjoy!

just.drift - The bow in your "Signature" has a very Streamlined (enlongated) mouth/head. More than I see with the Lake O (GTA) steelies. Is that one from GB/Huron?

roska - No worries ... and thanks. Wont be revealing any "Secrets Spots" (lol) but have never had a problem with sharing my techniques.

As for "Night Fishing":

1. I dont advise going searching at night. Stick to the well known pools and runs that you are already familiar with. You know the water - no point in being risky at night.

2. Keep your set up as simple as possible. The beauty of Night Fishing is that it's all SCENT RELATED. Dont have too worry too much about the "perfect look" in your presentation.

- No leaders, No Swivels ... Tie direct to hook with main line! (I use 6lb mono ... no problems)

3. Get that HOOK out more in the open. I use a larger hook at night than I would normally use in the day. A #6 or even #4 as oppossed to: #10 or higher. I put the Roe Bag at the Top of the Hook eye on the line, and allow the hook to dangle freely. My belief is that this allows better hook ups. A couple of years ago, I would place the bag and hook as to daytime conditions as was finding that I would miss more on the hit. This way, when I get the first few TAP TAPS, the set is at around 90%.

4. For about the past two years ... I've been adding a BEAD (Free Hanging above the hook - just like an egg sinker) on almost ALL of my Setups. Doesnt matter if I'm going for: Chrome, Bass, Pike .... Whatever.

The "reasoning for this":

- The bead is an attractant

- I believe the bead will cause the Hook to set better (when it hits the fishes mouth, it pulls the hook tight and vertical)

- I believe the bead helps prevent some snags. Since I do lots of bottom fishing ... seems to help

5. I got a ton of "Glow Beads" (Plasitc) awhile back. They came in White and Green. One pack contained small sizes (2mm, 4mm, 6mm) These were not working as a "Stand Alone" bead to drift with, so I just started using them as previously outlined.

When I am using SINGLE BEADS in the Day, for drifting .... I use heavier beads that I get from the DOLLAR STORE JEWLERY (necklaces). Most are glass ... and I find they work awesome. The heavier weight seems to hold them better in the current. As for size 8mm - 12mm seems to be doing the trick. Make sure you have the bead up about 1 1/2 " above your hook. Most guys will PEG them with either toothpicks etc ..... I leave mine Free Hanging and just use a RED ELASTIC BAND to tie my Stopper above the hook.

Here's what my BAIT (ROE) looks like:

RoeStuff.jpg

The Big Jar on the left contains my "LOOSEY GOOSEY" chinny roe that I use in the day for CLEAR GIN conditions.

The ICE CREAM container is my cured skien roe (Chinny) that I use at night.

The bottle contains my SLURRY/GOO JUICE (This I collect after adding the Brown Sugar & Salt to my skien roe). I collect the juice and will either dunk Yarn or add to my Tie Bag Containers ... before i head out. Extra Scent.

All I do to prepare my NIGHT ROE is this:

Take out a jar from the freezer and unthaw in the fridge. I added nothing to the Roe when caught and frozen. Just let the skein soak in the river water for about 5 minutes. Took home... cut into chunks and froze.

Dump the roe into the Ice Cream container and liberally add: BROWN SUGAR and LOTS of UN-IONDIZED TABLE SALT. Shake and put back in fridge for about an hour. Drain the GOO JUICE (Which the salt sucked out) into the Slurry Jar. Put back the eggs for another hour and repeat. They are now Hardened and shiveled. When I am tying up the eggs .... I use either Natural White mess or Chartruesse. Tie the bags real TIGHT! Doesnt even matter if some burst and goo all over. I think this makes em even better for night fishing!

BLUESTEEL.jpg

MORE NIGHT CHROME (update from Friday Night)

CameraSHINEontheSTEEL.jpg

Well ... when a good thing gets going you enjoy the Hell out of it!

I had a chance to get out again on Friday night and it was well worth it.

The weather had changed ... up a couple degress (No gloves!) and some fog was moving in.

Made for a more surreal evening. The thick air dampens sound ... your field of preception diminished ... just the low gurrgle of the water.

Tied up around 25+ Charttrouse, extra big bags.

Was expecting lots of acition. My mind had not stop running from the previous 2 evenings....

Pre Made my set up ... was only a matter of putting 2 pieces together, set the drag... and Bait up

Line goes in the water:

BANG .... this is a SLAM ... a BANG .... a TOTAL HEAD SMASHING GRAB (no "Tap Tap") - Hook Set!

I havent had the felling since hitting some Salmon with Spoons.

Line was peeling ... the drag sound in the fog night air had more Base to it.

Pole was rounded out and pulling hard. It must have been at least around 15lbs!

SNAP

*It wasnt the 6lb mono, I dont think it was the Hook (Eagle Claw Lazer Octo #6) ... was it the "Knot Tie"?

- I never changed my terminal tackle from the previous nights fishing. Dam shame. Hooks get dull in minor snags, Line may get slightly frayed ... Your knot losens - after bringing in some previous fish.

Changed up (Re-tied)

Tap.... Tap...>Tap Tap - HOOK SET!

PURPLESTEEL.jpg

BlairandMoreChrome.jpg

VibriantBlueChrome.jpg

BlairwithoneofseveralBIGTANKS.jpg

NiceSteelHeadWaitingattheGasBar.jpg

BlairStandingwithSteelHead-1.jpg

BlairHoldingmoreNIGHTSTEEL.jpg

GlowingTrout.jpgStarringatMe-ColeSteel-1.jpg

AnotherBIGPIECEofSTEELwithFEET.jpg

Blair....looks like your getting lots of action, thats great. You need to invest in a better camera though. Pictures are a bit fuzzy. YEh, you look wired in the pictures....LOL. Thats real cool you do so well night fishing. Some nice chromers...Thanks, as always. Now run out and get a good camera.

Guest chasechrome

Blair....looks like your getting lots of action, thats great. You need to invest in a better camera though. Pictures are a bit fuzzy. YEh, you look wired in the pictures....LOL. Thats real cool you do so well night fishing. Some nice chromers...Thanks, as always. Now run out and get a good camera.

:roflblack:

Some cameras' auto-focus systems don't work too well in the dark--sometimes shining a flashlight (at the camera position) toward your jacket will aid the sensor blair... :blahblah1:

Well Done Blair!

The camera does seem to work great in the day (or at least twilight or dawn).

Unfortunately, at night a different story.

If someone else is taking a pic of me with it (Standing back about 4-5 feet) seems to "autofocus" okay.

When I'm out and alone at night, different story.

Basically, I want to get the fish de-hooked and back in the river asap.

So between landing, Holding the reel /pole .... gettting the camera set... pliers..... not as EASY as a Leisurely Afternoon with your buddy standing beside you to take a pic! lol

On Friday night.... last fish of the evening was a HUGE BUCK about 13-14 lbs.

Just a brute.

I brought him in about 60 yds down from my bag, so not even a hope of a pic.

He had a beautiful red/pink stripe down the side.

"Would have made" a signature pic, would have lol

I can appreciate the fantastic pics taken by those brave enough to carry their SLR out on the Tribs.

Not me!

Every year I will basically buy a used Digital Camera off of Kijjiji for like $60.

The reasoning:

1. Yup, I am a bit cheap

2. I fish alot.... so ultimately the darn camera gets sand, dirt, water, roe goo, worm guts... Fish slime... you name it.

After so many outings, works itself into the mechanisms. Led goes out, Lenses get jammed.

To me, it's better to just keep fishing the way I do than take the caution and time with the camera.

If i get some good shots with what i have- bonus. If i dont, but dont screw up a $1000+ Camera - DOUBLE BONUS!

lol

Have you thought of getting a waterproof camera. We have one from pentax that we used for years when our grandson was younger. We have lots of underwater pics. I would thik that if it is sealed enough to keep the water out it should keep out the stuff you are exposed to - plus being waterproof you can simply wash it off with no fears. If I remember properly it wasn't that expensive and took good pictures.

Sounds like a Waterproof Camera is the Solution!

Right now, economics are a bit tight ... so I guess i will put out the word (To Family) that:

Blair needs `Santa`to bring him a camera.

Hope i have been `Good enough` this year! LOL a `lump of Coal` just wont do the trick.

Thanks for the advice.

ps: Even if `Santa`doesnt come through .... I saw a couple of models on Kijjiji (Used) that seem to fit the bill.

In the short term i shall try for some fish in the day, and contiue with the `blurry versions`at night.

Tight Lines to all!

COMING DOWN to NIAGARA on SATURDAY NIGHT.

Going to try some of my GTA TRIB -NIGHT FISHING on the mighty Niagara.

Whole new BALL PARK

Your doing an awesome job Blair....camera or not. Maybe I need to try night fishing....my problem is my eye sight is shot. Going to look into my optiions to see lol (see) what i can come up with....need one of those construction lights they use on the hiway...lol

Dave.... I have BiFocal Polarized glasses that I will use occassionally in the day. (Cheap ones... but they work fine)

- Just dont want to `Walk Around too much with them on` - the enhanced area makes for walking a trail slightly blurry.

For night:

* Try using a NEEDLE GUIDE (Sewing) when tying your lines. Works awesome for getting the line through the Hook.

* I also carry a magnifying Glass with me ... Slightly more awkward, but does the trick

Archived