The Tug Is The Drug! Night Steel (Gta Chrome)

blairwelsh

ANOTHER NICE EVENING! (further, further ... UPDATE):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4913gaj0_4w

Here is a TANK! *SMILES*

AnotherGIANTpieceofSTEELwithBLAIR.jpg

ShinyPieceofNightChromeontheRock.jpg

BlairsEndofNovChrome.jpg

BlairwithHUGENIGHTCHROME.jpg

NiceFreshRainbowTrout.jpg

another8-9lbder.jpg

Piece13ofthenight.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words.

Was fortunate to end November 2012 in style!

One of the most productive months for Steel, I have ever had in my life.

Not bragging (Seriously...lol) but ended up with over 100+ pieces of Chrome!

Some guys "hang up" their pursuit of Steel end of Sept, and dont start again until April opener.

To each their own .... but could never understand that.

The late fall and winter are simply the BEST TIME to chase the chrome.

My best words of advice: KISS (Keep it simple Sexy)

*Stop worrying about so many of the little things and overcomplicating the setups.

Be quite at night and dont shine lights!

Been hearing about so many guys "losing fish" on breakoffs etc.

Well, every time you add more "links" you created WEAK POINTS!

The fish are on the BOTTOM! *SMILES*

Here comes DECEMBER!

*100% of fish were released

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blair, how do i put this politely?

You my friend are a steelheads worst nightmare...but in a good way!

one of these days i'm gonna find you, kidnap you and steal all your secrets when your not looking LOL

Pic #1-- last time I saw a steelie that big, was in bronte creek, a pool on private property, invite only...and... unfortunately have'nt talked to the owners in over 3 years. biggest pool on the creek, when the sun comes up, and you see them with the polars you swear you could walk across their backs. back in those days we would limit in like 45 minuits.

Those are beautiful fish, way to go...and good luck in December.

Nice Fish! Love the way the fish look in the dark! Makes them look so much more chromey! Your killing em, well done!

ChromeintheWater.jpg

DECEMBER CHROME ( Update to begin the month with)

I love the month of December. Typically brings in the cold, the first ice ... some snow on the ground.

Definately brings out the STEEL!

EvenmoreNIGHTSTEELwithBLAIR.jpg

(the "HAT" represents a TOMATOE lol)

The beginning of this month was WARM. I stayed in on Friday ... read the weather report for Sat Dec 1 Evening. It was going to GET WARMER as the night progressed. Dont see that happen too much....

Tied up about 40 Roe bags and left the House around 8Pm. Planned on hitting 2 of the more well known GTA TRIBS. Things slow in the days with the Low & clear water. Everyone’s just begging for rain.

I figured I’d would continue to AVOID the CROWDS and the SPOOKED STEEL and head out again at night.

DAYWALKERS can have the day ..... NIGHT STALKERS are for the NIGHT!

StunningPieceofNightSteel.jpg

First Pool produced this beautiful Buck with full Fall Colours

BigMALEPIECEofCHROMEinFULLCOLOURS.jpg

Produced some more

AnotherMaleBuckpieceofSteelwithniceHeadColours.jpg

More

BlairwithSteelthroughtheBranches.jpg

Quid Pro Quo

Something given, something learned

Went down to another Pool ....

Was surprised to run into another fellow there.

Room for both of us. Went up and politely said “hello”.

(I shall use the Name “Mike” for my “fishing buddy” that evening)

Mike was dressed to the max. Sweet high end waders, Jacket. Had a nice KINGPIN, 13ft Rod ... great set up. Mike noticed what I was using and proceeded to explain his gear to me for the next 20 minutes.

LOL

He was drifting with a lighted float and using real small roe bags (2-3 eggs) tied in Neon Orange Bags.

Attached to his float was a Glow Stick ... had about 5ft flouro leader.

*He explained his technique with athourity and pride. All the time, kinda making vague sarcastic references as to what I was using.

Lol

I put on one of my big stinky roe bags ... tied directly to my main line (6lb mono) and threw into the middle of the pool. Mike had got a snag, and was spending what seemed like forever re-tying. He was swearing quite a bit.

Within one minute i was fighting my first piece of STEEL from the pool. Landed it quickly ... some real good shakes and ariels. Mike said: “I got lucky” lol

RodthroughBlairsHeadwithNicepieceofSteel.jpg

These shots are COOL cause they have the POLE going Through my HEAD! Reminds me of the old OMEN MOVIES!

Lostcountguessthisoneisnumber100LOL.jpg

He mentioned that he had received an email from a buddy about some link to a guy that had been doing good with the night fishing. He mentioned he was here ... to show that “Amatuer” how to REALLY DO IT!

(I couldn’t help but laugh! ... he didn’t even know or suspect it was me. I decided to KEEP THAT MY SECRET ... and wished Mike the Best in putting on a “Clinic” for us all)

*SMILES*

Mike gets re-tied (Finally) and then begins his drifts. I had OFFERED one of my roe bags and he refused. Actually said: “STUPID SIZE BAGS” .... you got lucky on the first fish... good luck for the rest of the night!”

Lol

I proceeded to land a couple more nice pieces of Chrome.

YetanotherpieceofSteelwithBlairsFeet.jpg

Mike was swearing every time i said fish on. On a couple occasions, he would not even reel in or move to the side. No worries ... worked the fish in. His swearing became more intense.

I suggested that he might “TRY” removing the Float and just fishing the bottom as I was. Mike said that was for “Idiots”... but after my 5th fish , he did take the float off. He even took one of my Roe Bags that I had sitting out by my bag (Didnt ask ...of course).

Mike gets a BIG ONE ON! ... he is estatic (So was I! Figured it might shut up all the muttering, and swearing) Looked to be a real good size...

SNAP ... Mike’s rod goes back, no curve ... line had broke.

SWEAR – SWEAR - SWEAR

His line broke at “One” of his connection (Second Swivel, I believe) LOL

I suggested that he try tying the line directly, like I do ... he said that only “ROOKIES” would ever present that way.

Time to leave.

I pretended to get a phone call ... wished “MIKE” well .... and worked my way back to the main trail. I cut over ... and passed by quietly .. working my way back up about another ½ mile upstream

(mike was still swearing and re-tying as I passed by in the dark lol)

Some people sure do KNOW EVERYTHING! I wish “Mike” all the best in his pursuit of CHROME @ NIGHT!

Got down to another pool. First cast into the water ... nice hook up

Nice Brown

FrontShotofBlairBROWNTROUT.jpg

BlairHoldingaGOLDENBROWN.jpg

Here is the Brown after release ... sitting , ready to go.

BROWNTROUTsideshot.jpg

BrownintheWater.jpg

Some more chrome

BlairwithHUGErainbowTroutatNight.jpg

RealFatRainbowwithRoeBaginMouth.jpg

More

BlairwithNiceTankforDec1.jpg

BlairHoldLittleGuyinOrangeGlow.jpg

It started raining around 3:30am (Sunday Morning). I had about 5 roe bags left, but called it a night.

Ended up with ............... 24 fish in total. Was an amazing way to start the month off!

All fish were released!

LastPieceofSTEELasitRains.jpg

GoodSteelwithRoeBag.jpg

I hope everyone can have a good DECEMBER. Mine has obviously started out with a BANG!

The rains in the next week should bring in some more FRESH ONEs, Switch up some holding pools and get the water a little less clear for the Daytime presentations.

Think I will stick to some more NIGHT STALKING!

Blair, what a great story...should have saved that for the contest LOL. really enjoyed reading that post.

Oh yeah....and nice fish...................................................................................again. :)

The numbers have been unreal!

I hope that in no way does my reporting ... make me look like I am "rubbing it in" ... etc LOL

I still havent got me head around the nightly results.... why the stars have lined up for this.

Been tracking, scoping and doing the NIGHT STALKER thing for years now.

But have NEVER seen these type of "returns"

*Dont get me wrong - Totally tickled pink that I'm getting them!

It even makes for more "confusion" - considering the fact that in general, this year is showing less numbers for the average guy in the tribs up here. Way less. (low water, super clear conditions)

I've stumbled upon the secret formula ...

1. Time (off pressure)

2. Place

3. Basics

4. Bait

5. Time to fish (availability)

LUCK!

That is producing 10X more fish that i had ever imagined.

Certainly not because of any "Special Skill" or "Talent"

lol

Just lucky enough to have the elements and factors going my way.

On several evenings ... I have hit into the high teens.

Saturday... that was just - "sic"

Now, what makes me feel real bad (HONESTLY) is that i have not, nor will SHARE my selfish SOLITUDE with anyone!

lol

"Normally", I dont mind telling my buddies .... having more people come along.

Course if i "was" to do that in this case ... I know that the whole magic would disappear.

So, my apologies at being "Selfish" (lol) but do you blame me?

*SMILES*

Blair - this has to be one of the most impressive threads/stories I've read in a long time. I'm sure everyone who reads it will be itching to try to duplicate your success.

I would be very tight-lipped about your locations - one slip on the internet and your night-time solitude might be gone forever. Ditto a TV show segment or article in a magazine.

Here in NY of course we are not allowed to fish the tribs at night..

"moms" the word on the location ...

Took a "CIA INTEROGATON COURSE" just to make sure that I would NOT crack under the pressure.

Unfortunately, I have not fished the NY TRIBS for many years now.

Was not aware that "night fishing" is not allowed.

Lively1 - basically does it work from: Dusk to Dawn? (the no fishing regs)

* 90% of my fishing in November was done at night!

I already know where Blair goes....its Primrose...lol. He does not know but i followed him there...lol. If you do a search for Primrose trout you too can enjoy fishing....lol.Come on Blair....come clean now that the word is out....lol. And the bait of choice is not stinky roe...its corn.

Ha ... Ha Dave! Primose would be my "Secondary GO TO spot". Good guess.

I'll give you guys (and gals) some clues:

1. I am actually fishing Down in Niagara! Your own back yard.

Found a ditch running off one of the Canals. Didnt want to say anything ... but "if I was you"... get out to everyone of those "Ditches" before they freeze over.

*Course, I think this winter is going to be similiar to last. Good news for the "open water guys". Gotta go up past North Bay for the hard ice (lol)

2. I'm not using Roe, nor am I using "CORN". I found out the STEEL seem to like the sweets. It's either: Skittles or Reeses Pieces that are tied up in the bags. I'm trying to get em fattened up, diabetic .... and in need of a dentist!

or

3. I, really am fishing the GTA TRIBS (east - west) ... that every single guy and their brother has covered in the day, all day!

or

4. I found some night pics on the internet, and have become exceptional with PhotoShop. (Very realistic)

Fish on!

The TUG is the DRUG!

__________________________ Now for something Completely Different: (Shout Out to my "Friends" @OFF)

JEALOUS, INSECURE ... LONELY?

I bet you miss me! ....> Seriously, Get out and do some fishing,

May help with your attitude & success.

It has mine

*SMILES*

ps: Nasty little TROJAN VIRUS!

At least "OLD SCHOOL" doesnt include malicious attacks.

Try looking within your own "ranks" , and you just may find the cancer.

Good luck with that!

MID DECEMBER UPDATE (the night fishing Continues...)

RealNicepieceofSTEEL_zps3c2865c9.jpg

Been able to WORK a bit lately ... which has certainly been a blessing. Had a chance to get out about a week ago (no camera) ... and felt the wonderful TUG of the night Chrome - Ended up with 4 nice fish.

So... here it was Friday Night. The weather being what is has for the month of December, no better time to get out and do some fishing. Only “Problem” ... I had just put in a long day at work (up at 5am) home at around 6pm.
I was semi-tired ... and knew that tomorrow was going to be a KILLER DAY of taking down a huge tree in downtown Toronto. Expecting 12 hrs of slugging thousands of pounds of wood. Wake up call for Saturday would be 5am as well.

I’m not 20 years old any more ... LOL Still in pretty good shape, but I think many can relate to the choices we have to make when it comes to our bodies and our time.. and OUR PRIORITIES.

Saturday's Tree Removal
TightalleyWaywithLiftandTree_zpsec669d4a.jpg

THE TUG is THE DRUG - Fishing wins out!

Packed up my gear, which only includes: Rod, 25 Roe bags, Camera, Small Plano Terminal Tackle box, Flashlight, Pliers, and Wipe Cloth - all packed into my little “Camera tackle bag”.

Put on the extra layers of cloth ... and headed out around 8pm. I planned on about 2 hrs of fishing. 1 hour to get down ... 2 to fish.. 1 hour back should be home around Midnight. Get to bed around 1am, Gives me 4 hours of sleep! Good to go!

BlairwithSetup-PicwentbeforeIcouldliftfish_zpsb518ee9a.jpg

Got down to one of my favourite spots.. and threw in my line. Water levels had tapered back down a bit from the previous week’s slight increase. Betting some newer chrome had made the Movement.

They did! Ended up going 6/6 for the evening! *Tying your mainline DIRECTLY to the HOOK “Seems” to be the Key! (No weak points) -keep my tip high, good tension on line at all times ... - Drag is ALWAYS set at about 90% of the breaking point of my line (6lb mono)

Blairwith1of6tonight_zps92b104d3.jpg

Can land most fish within about 1-2 minutes. Two big exceptions happened on Friday night.

Hit into 2 massive pieces of STEEL!

Absolute beauties ... One was around 13-14 lbs, a gorgeous male.

The other, I swear was at the 16-17 lbs range. A huge and pretty Silver Hen.

Both took me down the river a couple hundred yards. Pulling and running the entire way. Awesome fights .... I guess I could have thrown them on shore ... went back to get my camera and return LOL but that’s not going to happen! Fish like that give you the TUG, some of the best fights I could ever want ... they deserve the chance to continue on.
Work looks good for this upcoming week .... so does some more rain. I hope to be able to COMBINE the 2 and get out for some more fishing.

THE TUG is the DRUG! My addiction continues.......

SamePiecereverseangle_zps292926a2.jpg

(right angle shot of the top fish - Nice 7lb/8lb piece of fresh steel)

Awesome report Blair! That last fish looks HUGE! What a fish! Well done.

Wow sounds like it's a blast to catch steel at night. That is something I would like to try sometime. The NY tribes do not allow night fishing.

I havent had the pleasure of fishing in New York for quite some time.

Looked up the regs and you are of coarse, 100% correct!

Fishing Hours

Fishing at night (one-half hour after sunset until one-half hour before sunrise) is prohibited,

except in the Black River (Jefferson County) from Lake Ontario upstream to the Route 180

bridge in Dexter, where fishing is permitted at all times, and in the Salmon River in Oswego

County, where fishing at night is permitted from Lake Ontario to the Route 3 bridge from

April 1 through August 14.

In Ontario, most of my "past night fishing" was for: Catfish, Carp ... Walleye. And during the Salmon Runs.

I'm super excited about being able to "DIAL IN" on the night time Steel opportunities.

They seem to be Voracious eaters ... (for me).

With winter ... staying away (for now) ... and all these crazy nights were the temps are actually GETTING WARMER (weird eh?) .. it's made the fishing even better.

On Friday night the sky was clear allowing for lots of visibility (by night standards) ... was real cool to see the RAINBOWS doing their airiaels .. blasting out of the water - out about 30yds away. You cant really see "all" the fish ... but see the beautiful flashes of silver.

I think a member (FishingNoob) ... said something about at night they sure are more "chrome". (Camera flash etc)

I totally agree... At night their SILVER is really deep.

All Flash ... just the way we like em!

BlairsthrainbowintheRiver_zpsa5ed835d.jpg

LIGHT the CANDLE at BOTH ENDS & BURN the MIDNIGHT OIL!

Further... Further ... Further UPDATE:

BlairwithgoodsizedNIGHTSTEELroeinmouth_zpsb6e708e2.jpg

Well ... like the TITLE says, time to get out and do some more FISHING!

• Whether you’re preparing for DOOMSDAY
  • Whether you think we are going to get our FIRST WINTER STORM
  • Whether you just want to see some more FISH pr0n

PrettySteelwithGreenBag_zps1b120cc0.jpg

Got out LAST NIGHT for another outing. I was glad that I did!

Woke up at 5am and put in a Full day at work. Lots more Wood Cutting and even did some fence pole digging. Arrived home around 6pm. Back was sore, arms tired....

The day (Wed) was beautiful.... back up to around 6C Celsius with sunshine.

Couldn’t give up the chance to make it out for some more MIDNIGHT STEEL!

Tied up about 20+ of my favourite STINKY GOO BAGS (Secret formula or Brown Sugar & Salted Chinny Skein) and headed out to the TRIBS.

Blairwith3rdNiceTroutofEvening_zps9ffb491b.jpg

The bite was STRONG immediately. Tap .... Tap ... Tap TAP!

Hook set and fish was on!

GreatBowwithMyfoot_zpsed8a1cf2.jpg

I ended up going 5/5 ... No huge tanks for the evening, but some nice fish all the same. Saw a shooting Star that lasted about 2 seconds and covered half the Sky (Cool). Made my wish:

- Not for World Peace

- Don’t seem to need any help with the Chrome

· Hoping to win the LOTTO MAX on DEC 21 (Fifty Million)

SteelintheWaterwithLineandHook_zps9566928f.jpg

This guy would not stay still. Normally will not hold by the mouth... but as long as you give GOOD BODY SUPPORT - you can! The Gill plate opens when you do this ... NICE and HEATHLY!

BlairisholdingChromebythemouthwiththeMoon_zpsab64d7b0.jpg

• All fish were caught within about 1-2 mins using 6 lbs mono tied directly to hook.
  • Hook is exposed fully with the ROE BAG hanging above the EYE.
  • I have been using a single larger SLIP EGG SINKER ... with small spit shot as a stopper.

GlowingChromebetweenBlairsFeet_zpsb1646805.jpg

The FALL STEEL (was the second last day before official start of WINTER) have been Strong and Healthy.

Most productive OCT – NOV and DECEMBER in my life.

Well over 150+ pieces of STEEL!

GreatlookingRainbow_zps814eecf5.jpg

Wonder what JAN is going to bring?

*SMILES*

Another great report Blair. The night vs daylight temps sure are weird. Was out last friday. Started around 4:30 am and was perfectly comfortable but once the sun came up the temperature dropped and the bite slowed significantly.

I was with a guy who is probably one of the most accomplished anglers in the area (although he is young he really knows what he's doin and has been getting legendary results) and he had been saying that his luck was definately not as good lately once daylight broke and temps dipped. Only saw one fish landed after dawn and before 7:30-8 am. Although there were alot of folks on the river.

The dark coupled with warmer temps seemed to be the key anyhow.

Just my two cents.

Archived