The Tug Is The Drug! Night Steel (Gta Chrome)

blairwelsh

You almost got this steel heading thing down Blair Lol. Almost,.........

I'm getting CLOSE.... real CLOSE!

Close only counts in: HORSESHOES and HAND GRENADES.

So..... ANOTHER NIGHT: (More Action)

GreatlookingBow.jpg

Worked my butt off today ... hauling away around 50,000 lbs of Hard wood. Still "cleaning up" some of Sandy's wreck.

The customer's home is over a Ravine ... made the take down and removal even more taxing.

Got home around 7pm and felt like Sheet. Sore arms, back ... THE DRUG is the TUG, THE TUG is the DRUG

Blair .... were waiting for you! TAP TAP ...

Yeah I know, sound a little Obsessive ... Well, I have not fished since Friday Night!

Made my wife some dinner and put it in the fridge with an obligatory note (Love you ... GONE FISHING!)

Tied up some gooey ROE BAGS while I ate my dinner. Who cares if a little "Extra Protien" may have gone down my mouth.

lol

Off we go....

I like to spend at least 2x the amount of time fishing that it takes to do the round trip.

Tonight looks like it's only going to be PAR. (2 hrs round trip - 2 hrs of fishing)

Get to the trib and start making my way down to the first pool.

What the heck?

Looks like a FRIEGHT TRAIN coming up the RIVER towards the pool. It's 4-5 guys walking Straight up the River in their waders, Carring Lanterns, making enough noise to raise the dead! They walk right to the pool as loud as you can be, and set up shop.

* I quitely ... receed back into the SHADOWS and make my way to Pool Number#2.

(Actually glad to see some others out trying the "night Fishing"... and never one to bad mouth, but are you kidding me? Yup... NOISE and NIGHT FISHING - there's a winning combination. Wish my friends well with that approach, cause their gonna need it!)

On my way, I see 3 more guys standing out in the middle of the River. Pointing 1,000.000 CandleLight floodlights everywhere.

Wow .... again not being critical (It's actually funny) ... Let the Gong Show begin!

Off to pool #3.

Wouldnt you know it.... another guy is standing right in the middle of the Pool. Waders of course. Floating - but doesnt have any form of Light for his indicator. ??? Just doesnt make sense to me. Cant figure out how he expects to know theres a bite, and secondly ... why stand in the middle of the pool? I only ever use my waders to get from A to B, never could understand why people will go out of their way to stand in the middle of the river. (too each there own)

Off the pool number #4 (Guess the SECRETS OUT!)

Finally .... all to myself.

Line in ..

Here we go! *SMILES* the Tug is the Drug.

BlairwithChrome.jpg

Went 2/3 in about an hour.

Much more difficult area to land the fish. Not complaining, but wish I had Pool #1, 2, or 3 all to myself LOL

Tomorrow ... cant come fast enough! Good Night

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HA HA! Chase .... I shall continue to POST the terrible photos until SANTA helps out, or I get some DAYTIME SHOTS!

lol all kidding aside, it's the Fishing that matters most (Right?)...

_________

* Beats a Thousand Plus Posts + on the "Great Debate" ( Kingpin vs Islander?, What Flouro?, blah blah ... on the Other Site)

I respect the reason for (So many newbies into Pinning) but really wish some more of the Oldtimers would share more REAL INFO on techniques, strategy, Conditions ... vs. the "Equipment".

The priorities seem in the wrong direction, in my opinion.

:read: THURSDAY NIGHT UPDATE

(*no work until weekend ... :wall: , might as well fish!)

BaginMouthinfrontofBLairsFeet.jpg

SteelinBlairsHands.jpg

ShineChromewithBaginMouth.jpg

Went out last night (Again) ... was cold in my opinion (Hands & ears).

There was NO ONE out and about CEPT for me!

Had an extremely productive evening. No huge brutes, but lots of fish! Steady action for 3 hours.

* Tight lines .... Scent, bottom fishing

I have been pleasantly surprised to see VERY LITTLE deep takes. 99% hooksets on jaw or inner lip

- I set my rod down to light a smoke last night, and had the first deep take in a long while (Cut off the hook and immediate release)

TroutSMASHINGtheBIGBAGS.jpg

Another crappy pic .. but shows the Size of the ROE BAGS I'm tyin. Got the Green Glow Bead in place on top.

Using #6 Octopus Hook - Fully exposed, NO LEADER, 6 lb mono

MoreSteelIntheBush.jpg

RedBeadShowing.jpgBLAIRholdinganotherbeauty.jpg

RainbowontheRock.jpg

BigRoeBagGreenBeadandBOW.jpg

You sure do Blair...I also like to run the bead combo. Single hook and just as an attracter. Nice work Blair...good luck ay the pool

Nice fish again Blair. Cut your finger? :lol:

Noob: Typically, I will always attempt de-hooking with my bare hands first .... lol

Doesnt matter what the type of fish (yes... even pike! - when they are only side hooked)

- Many a Catfish has bit down super hard! ... No teeth but about the Strongest Jaws I know of.

A good 95% of the time, just a little flick and pull out does the trick. Obviously, on the deep sets - that leads to a judgement call as to the next step (pliers). I know there "may" be some differences of opinion on this as to the perfect "Catch & Release" methods and I can respect that ... but this is how I have been doing it forever.

The Steelies have small teeth ... and I can honestly say I dont even Know that My fingers are sometimes getting the little "razor cuts" on them. Their cold (Fingers).... I'm in the Moment with the fish, adrenaline running ...

By the time I get home is when I notice all the little cuts. They heal quickly (lol) and i wear them with pride!

Last year I was de-hooking a brown and she bit me several times. Thought nothing of it at the moment ... but a little later noticed my gloves and rod were soaked in blood!

* Guess I will use the Pliers a bit more ... but again, I have no personal issues (C&R) with using my fingers. It works well and quickly in most circumstances.

ChefMick: I guess that I am VERY FORTUNATE with the Fishing Passion and my wife's understanding.

She knew that when we met ... I loved to fish! lol ( No surprises)

We do not have any children ... so that helps "open the window" of opportunities as well.

Dispite the usual "problems" (lol) of any couple, I am sure glad that when it comes to fishing - she gives me 100% support.

That is "ONE" of the reasons ... I love her so much! (She may be reading this!)

FURTHER UPDATE: (Yup, just SLAYING the CHROME!) :bb2:

029.jpg

I almost feel "Bad" about posting this update .... :wub:

This past week, my working hours have been Scetchy .. so I have had some more "opportunities" to fish.

Lucky Me! (?)

We all go through tons of the "SKUNK DAYS' and hopefully take those with a grain of salt.

Sometimes, the "karma" of the universe pays us back (Sometimes not! lol)

Last night it paid in SPADES! and I just wanted to share. Brought huge smiles to my face, and I hope may bring some encouragement to others.

025.jpg

Called my Boss and he said no work tomorrow :wall: Scraped together some change for Gas.. and called my Brother In Law up.

He doesnt mind doing some work on the Lap top while I fish, Sometimes he joins me, sometimes not.

Last night, he walked down ... then went back to the car. I was all "Alone" - just the way it needed to be.

Went to 2 different locations and fished for about 4 hours.

027.jpg

I shall of course NEVER - REVEAL WHERE (NEVER) ... but suffice to say that after YEARS of SLUGGING it out, it's really working now.

There are LOTS of CHROME in the Water!

You just have to FIND THEM, and present the offer with the outmost SIMPLICITY.

I am using a $150 setup. I do not use Leaders, Swivels, Tippets, Floats...

I do not spend a 1000 hours talkking about which "reel is better" "Which line is better" "Which rod is better" ....blah blah blah

*I spent 1000 hours going out FISHING and determining what seems to REALLY WORK! lol

1. I do not going STOPPING AROUND the Pools in my Waders

2. I do not shine 1,000,000 candle light lanterns in the water

3. I do not spend half hour "tying Lines" - I spend 30 seconds retying and back into water

Nothing cept:

- Mono

- Tied directly to Hook

- Chinny Roe Bags (Brown Sugar & Salt cured - GOOEY)

TIGHT LINES (always presenting on the BOTTOM!)

024.jpg

014.jpg

010-1.jpg

006-2.jpg

023.jpg

011-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

019.jpg

021.jpg

Hey Dozer.... How are you?

Saw some of your nice words of advice and encouragement on the "other site".

Kudo's

Always good to see those (Experienced) who can share with others.

I also saw some of those beautiful browns down in NY. Looked like a good trip.

It's a "Different Kind of Fishery" down there... isnt it?

They stock and then they take .... and take and take.

Shouldnt be surprising.

Up here the way some of the talk is going, we will eventually have "PRIVATE TRIB CLUBS" for the elite.

Cause if you cant show off your $1000+ set up and have the river all to yourself and buddies ... then what's the point.

It's happened in the Marina's, It's happened up in Cottage Country.

* .... every spring I will see these know it alls kicking Suckers into the ditch cause they hit their line, and then they wonder why "Trout" stocks could be declining. Must be because some guy "Hugged a Fish".... lol

........... ah I digress.

Anyway, Glad to hear from you! Hope that my input back over there ... can someday come back.

ps: The #'s in the past few weeks have been staggering to say the least. Simply astronomical!

Next to no break offs, lots of tanks ... lots of real powerful fish. Lots of chrome out there.

The "Secret": well ... keep it simple, dont always "follow the pack"... if they aint biting with hundreds of guys around, either go another time or find some water that hasnt been stomped to death.

Salmo... I've been getting the Chrome right up here in the Lake O tribs (GTA)! lol

* After the daytimes over and the THOUSAND Fishermen have gone home, I come out to play.

The trout seem to be cooperating.

If your using skein, you can either thaw it and use it with a skein knot tie ... or do what i have been doing.

I have about 8 jars of Chinny Skein.

I take it out of the freezer and when it;s thawed (Fridge thawed)... I then mix in a lot of Un-oindized Salt and Brown Sugur. Shake liberally so it gets all over. Put back in fridge. About an hour later drain the GOO JUICE (Keep for yarns/ pom poms etc) and then put back in fridge for another hour and drain again. The skein eggs will be shrivelled. I use these to tie up into my roe bags.

As for a rod, you should always use what your most comfortable with!

However, On niagara in general - I would recommend around 10 ft.

The longer rods give more sensitivety and better fighting control in the deep strong waters of Niagara.

Most of the bottom bouncing etc.

If your not too long (I use a 9'6" Berkley) then you can also easitly switch to using Hardware.

The glow cleo's are producing well at night.

Good luck! Niagara is a tremendous fishery. A total jewel.

Over the years I have been SKUNKED so many times.... And on a bright note, have also had so many great outings.

Either way, the scenery and hitting something new is well worth the trip.

Once you do, I can gaurantee ... you will want to go back!

RECENT ADDITIONS: (UPDATE)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9XKVTNs1g4

EerieFogsurroundsBlairsNicepieceofSteel.jpg

Got the "bad news" - no work for tomorrow. :crazy:

Figured the only way to "Balance" the universe was to go out and fish.

Glad I did, was a gorgeous evening!

Wish I could figure out how to get PAID for fishing. Not complaining, but this "Charity Fishing" aint paying the bills..... lol

PeekingoveraSilverBullet.jpg

FatpieceofChrome.jpg

MoreSteelholdsBlair.jpg

LeafsandBowwithBlair.jpg

* Apologies about the Leaves ... beats taking em through the shallow rocks and gravel.

All fish tonight were doing some amazing aireals. With the Bright Moon and Clear skys ... the action was spectacular.

Had a Coyote .... pass about 10 yds away from me.

Unfortunately the Pic didnt turn out.

I think he was hoping I'd give em one of the fish - Better luck next time on that one (no Gobies!) lol

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

THE TUG is the DRUG!

Hi Blair

So I went out for night fishing haha

Skunked. But it was very nice and fresh midnight breeze

When I use a roe do I put a styrofoam or just sink it to the bottom

I gotta try again

Have a nice niagara trip

Thank you Jason

Jason,

Great to hear you got out at night and tried something new!

The "skunks" come with every new adventure or location (Hopefully less than the Killer Action! lol)

I've been scouting and practicing my Night action for a long time now.

May look easy .... but it came with many a biteless night.

Up here in the smaller GTA TRIBS (Mainly night fish, 3 different choices) ... I DO NOT use floaters in the roe bags.

I'm mainly fishing pools and runs that I know well, and like the bag right on bottom.

*Super tight lines at all times

When down in NIAGARA, I do tend to use the floaters.

If your fishing the deeper water with stronger currents ... I'd go with Floaters.

If not, the fish seem to have no problems "finding" the bag without em.

Bigger & Stinky at night.

Small bag, Small hooks... Lighter line (Perfect Presentation) in the day.

Best of luck with your next outing!

Some more great fish Blair! Well done! What are the lights in the background of the first photo? Cheers.

thanks for the info Blair!!!

Can anyone recommend a good pencil lead for whirlpool?

The eye on mine are too big, about 4mm in diameter, even tho i cut them short I had WAY to many snags bottom bouncing, lost alot of sinkers.

Thank you

It was pretty chilly last night strong wind I wear a goose Parker and snow boots keep me warm

But my pajama could not block sharp wind.

Anyway do I understand a right set up for the night fishing

Yesterday I did.

Slip sinker. -- bead -- swivel. -- leader. -- Corkey as a floater. -- hook -- bait. Foot off from the bottom

But I am going to try UR way next time

Slip sinker-- bead-- bead-- hook -- super stinky bait. And leave it on the bottom

Tonight after dinner I tied my fresh brown salted cured egg with white mesh

And brown sugar cured salmon loosey with yellow mesh

Hoping get double digit hook ups. Haha.

I like a fresh egg smell yummy

Thank you again Blair

Jason

P. s I only tied total ten eggs sag

aliens coming to abduct him :D

Thats what I'm worried about! He's sooo good the aliens want him to teach them! :D

The aliens are not coming to abduct (Just.Drift) or learn (Noob) ...

They are FAMILY, here to visit! *SMILES*

Now that is out in the open, guess the MIB will be at my house shortly.

*Camera gets some "Weird" shots at night ...

Here's one that looks awesome:

BlairGoestoLIMBO.jpg

As for the great luck I have been having.

Just very fortunate a lot of factors came together in the Month on Nov.

- Weather

- Timing

- Lots of good Chinny Roe (Brown sugar - salted, Gooey)

- Just being able to find 3-4 pools in a couple different tribs that are "holding" lots of fish at night!

plus the "work" situation has allowed me to get out more than expected. Great for fishing, bad for the bills.

Getting 3-4 double digit nights... has been a "blessing" that only comes around every BLUE MOON.

Certainly enjoying the action while it lasted (Lasts?).

After "Sandy", i found them. And took full advantage.

the TUG is the DRUG! (and I think we are all addicted to that!)

On a kinda of "rambling side note":

Have always been thinking of being able to attach a small - RFID transponder implants

Would be cool to actually be able to "Track" the activities of these Chrome.

I figured on a couple nights, I have caught the same fish .... and on other nights, they have moved to different pools.

We put the "guessing" into what they are doing ... but would be cool to actually document what's happening.

* Dont worry, the MAD SCIENTIST is not out there attaching Radio Clips to the fish! lol

Strictly catch & release.

Just some of my thoughts, while being out late at night and enjoying some exceptional action.

Hope you get into some success Roska!

Set up is the same as mine.

Just go to find those "Holding Pools".

That ... is the Trick.

Blair, when they gonna give you a fishing show. Might solve some camera issues with a network budget!

Buddy....If I was a fly on a wall.....I might pick yours for a night or two. Great posts, better info and honest opinion. Keep it up big guy.

Archived