Bummer Pc Out

smerchly

I think my pc is toast .....been shutting down all day ,even while just typing ......last thing that came up was "unrepairable" ...before that it said corrupt files....so I'm going to Best Buy in the morning to talk to the geek squad who will come to the house to check it out . If the pute is done or needs extensive repairs , time to by a new one . I'm using a lap top now ,but may be awol for a few days or so . Anyone had any experience with the Geek Squad ? lol

be carefull with geek squad, seen a report where something like 4/10 geek squad employees lied about what needs to be done to get customers to buy unnecessary.

things there saying it might be better to go to a local spot,

• 2 weeks later...

Took my pc in to a place nearby & the hardrive is toast....lost over 2000 pictures from 2005 to 2013 , all my fishing pictures gone in an instant ....that's technology I guess . I got a newer HP pc , loaded with Windows 7 , only 2 GB , much better sound card ....up & running well . I also bought McAfee for it . I have some pictures on a thumb drive I saved last year....will have to see what's in it......

Back on line today for emails & got Picasa running again for my photos ........ :)

External hard drives are ridiculously cheap. When I upgraded my desktop just before Xmas, I picked up a 2 terrabyte external for just over $100.00. I back up the whole system with it and I have a 500 GB external solely to duplicate pictures I have on the desktop. I have a 2 terrabyte backup external for my business laptop. Cheap insurance for priceless memories. The external can be stored in a fire safe if you have one...just back up pictures periodically.

I'll have to learn to do that yotehunter . There's something about keeping pictures in an electronic device that isn't cool with me , compared to keeping prints that have withstood the test of time over many years , and I know we have the option to get paper prints of our pictures . I have some on CD's , but wonder if they deteriorate over the years .....

For some reason , when I post a picture here using Picasa , I must make two attempts to download after I click "copy image location" .My last pc said "copy image url" and I didn't need to load every picture twice .......quirky computers !

What is the best way to help your pc last longer when shutting down for the night ? I am leaving it running and it is ready to go in the morning by moving the mouse . Is it ok to let the fan run 24/7 ? ......put the pc on sleep ?.....or kill the power altogether ?

I also changed my sign in password......was given a 15 digit number to use before changing the password . The 15 digit password remains when I sign in , until I write in my new password ....... :dunno: I'll try to find a more updated Picasa .......

Have never used Picasa so I can't comment on this. With digital cameras, we all have the tendency to shoot a lot because we can and then download them to the computer. This is great because it really doesn't cost you anything like film does. There may only be one picture out of twenty on a particular subject that is worth keeping but that is the beauty of the digital age..... you can delete the ones you don't like or need and keep the rest. You can keep thousands of pictures on something as small as a 32 GB thumb drive instead of lugging a photo album around and sharing with people like us who are not physically there with you. With digital photos you canorganize them into folders for easy retrieval.

As far as leaving the computer on......anything has a finite service life....files can get corrupted....viruses can creep in... electronics can fail like the new light bulb that dies after you install it. Leave the computer on all the time and you risk the possibilty that it will wear out faster. We just bought a brand new desktop before Xmas with all the bells and whistles on it,,,,including a silid state hard drive for the operating system and installed programs. This was for much faster boot up times. Luckily being the paranoid bugger that I am, I had another hard in the computer where I store all my data - pictures, videos, documents, etc.. Well not more than a week after we got the computer the solid state drive went kaput. Lost all my programs BUT not the precious data stored on the other hard drive. Plus I had made a backup on my external hard drive so once the failed drive was replaced I could restore my stuff that was on the hard drive that failed.

I tell the computer to dim the screen after one hour of no activity and go to sleep after two hours of no activity. And I do turn it off at least once a week to refresh the windows 8 boot up. But I also listen for changes in fan activity noise (an indication of wearing out) and get the computer cleaned regularly...you are sucking a lost of dust and pet hair in there no matter how clean you keep the house...and dust is a computer's enemy.

The more you use ot the more likely it is to fail so back up valuable pictures and data... you can't get them back.

Personally i leave the computer running all the time. Turning it off and on frequently allows the mainboatd and electronics to get hot cold hot cold....then you risk mainboard failure on the solder joints. I have always left mine runniing. Clean out your internal cpu fan andcase fan regularly. Buy a can or two of compressed air...take the cover off every couple months to keep the components clean...you be surprised how much dust accumulates, then you get overheating issues that cause power supply and coolers to fail. Keep it clean and it will be outdated before it fails.

Archived