New Virus In Town

smerchly

any body get this in their Emails ?

If you get an email with the subject of Shipping Tracking - or some such variation - please use caution.

It might state that you have a package the courier was unable to deliver and actually mention Fed Ex, or another shipping company. Then they want you to click on a button to track your shipment. It may look like they have forwarded and email link from Fed Ex.

If you are not expecting a shipment - do not click on it. This is another effort to get a virus to your computer and to get information from your computer.

My wife has got this 3 times , once again today . And last week it was Java , infecting pcs .

Yup. Its an old one actually. Canada Post has also had issues with this scam. Its simple: a delivery driver who doesn't find you at home will leave a delivery notification cad on your door or mailbox. NONE of them will contact you with a tracking number. If you're in doubt, all of these companies have websites that include tracking utilities: go to the website and plug in the "tracking number" from the email. Canada Post, for example, will give you an error message cautioning you about the scam.

Some of these emails will look very authentic, I might add. They will often have the company's logo on it for instance. It is a good idea to report the email to the company (FedEx, UPS, Canada Post, etc), as they do investigate them!

• 2 weeks later...

Guys forwarded emails....you know the ones that have tons of email address with them. Thats how these arrive. Dont forward or accelt forwarded emails. If you want to send to multiple people use the bcc option (blind carbon copy). That way your email is not added to the list of spam....then you end up with this stuff. Make a bogus email...and a good email you only gi e to trusted people The worst is the ones click on this or your gonna have bad luck.....dont do it...delete it.My wife is so guilty of that stuff....and her email box is full of 90 percent garbage.Do a google search report fraudulent email....then report it.Most is over seas or originates in universties. Kids playing games....be suprised by how many people give up personal information to these crooks. I sometimes wonder if the virus manufacturers selling software are involved to sell more virus software. Just have to be smart and protect yourself....keep your software up to date...and dont contribute to email spamming lists.

The trick with many of these emails is that often there's no virus at all; rather, it is simply a very "official" looking email that asks you to go to what looks like an official website and provide personal information (credit card, SIN, address, etc). Once these scammers have this info, they can then use it to max out your credit cards, clean out your bank account or create fraudulent accounts in your name, thus ruining your credit rating.

Archived