Looking For Someone Who Cleans Ducts.

Horrorshowrot

I am looking for someone to come in and clean the duct work in the house. It is just a forced furnace no air conditioning. Would love them to be cheap as well being good at there job, looking to get a couple of people so they can throw me some quotes and I will pick which one is the best! Thanks.

90% of my phone calls are telemarketers . We never answer them & let them leave a message , which happens very seldom . Even if Sears or Bell CANADA calls, you may have a hard time understanding the India or Pakistan accent . I clean my own ducts . There are taped openings in the basement ducts to allow me to use a shop vac with an extension hose & 6" wide attachment with a brush . I clean both hot & cold ducts with the vac ,then I use a damp mop head attached to some 14-2 electric wire to clean the bottoms of those wide flat ducts . It takes me about 2 hours and my rates are very cheap .....because I'm cheap ! Also , watch out for the door to door people .......so many scams out there it's a crime , and a crime that our governments don't have better control of these scammers .

The guy in the video gave some advice to help from being scammed , so you could do some research & possibly get the work done properly .If the ducts were made from 8" round plastic , they would be so much easier to clean......

90% of my phone calls are telemarketers . We never answer them & let them leave a message , which happens very seldom . Even if Sears or Bell CANADA calls, you may have a hard time understanding the India or Pakistan accent . I clean my own ducts . There are taped openings in the basement ducts to allow me to use a shop vac with an extension hose & 6" wide attachment with a brush . I clean both hot & cold ducts with the vac ,then I use a damp mop head attached to some 14-2 electric wire to clean the bottoms of those wide flat ducts . It takes me about 2 hours and my rates are very cheap .....because I'm cheap ! Also , watch out for the door to door people .......so many scams out there it's a crime , and a crime that our governments don't have better control of these scammers .

The guy in the video gave some advice to help from being scammed , so you could do some research & possibly get the work done properly .If the ducts were made from 8" round plastic , they would be so much easier to clean......

Smerch,

Scammers need to be reported, but often those who are scammed will not stand up not wanting to admit to it. NRP is very active on any scamming activity which may go on. Seen them put out a few releases as a heads up for residents on the scams. Unfortunately there are legal scams as well (cell phones).

Some companies that have had a good reputation for doing good work have contracted out their jobs to the lowest bidder and some of the low ballers do a poor job . This happens in government as well . But , we have the internet for a friend to help us find the fraudsters now . We used to call the Better Business Bureau to check out companies for complaints , but I don't know if they are still doing this work .

Botch.....I have seen the Sears truck in many driveways on my street over the years , maybe they do a good job .

Rikky.....a central vac sounds like a good idea to do the job . I'll be doing my own this spring with my shop vac.

Also as u are doing this have some one hold the hose in basement for u and go up stairs and from the FAREST reg take a little air compressor and blow it to the shop vac

Also as u are doing this have some one hold the hose in basement for u and go up stairs and from the FAREST reg take a little air compressor and blow it to the shop vac

Good idea Slevin ........I have two small air compressors that would help and I think I could get more force from my 7 cu.ft. air pig which I keep loaded with 100 p.s.i. It would put out a big blast of air for sure . ( better than my best chilli gassers) :)

As a precaution you need to close all registers in the house except the ones you are using

• you will get more of a tunnel effect to blow the yuck to the shop vac - no air leaking out of the tunnel
  • if air is leaking out of an open register you may be blowing the yuck out of an open register into that room of the house - and there may be things you don't want to see or breathe\

DIY is actually a great way to go. Most people think OMG there are so many ducts. But it really does'nt take that long. just be sure to have a couple three air filters for your furnace,you don't need the expensive ones. It will need to be changed a couple of times after you do the job as there might be some loose dust that you will not get. Most hardware stores do sell round and square brushes for chimney sweep job I have one from my old woodstove that i tape to the shopvac hose as i push it down the duct line. All the registers in the house are blocked with a damp towel except the one i'm cleaning to maximize the suction. Go for it, you can do it ..or get Smerch,he's cheap.lol

P.S i forgot ,I only did it because i had just bought the house as a piece of mind as the previous owners had lots of pets. prob won't do it again for a few years.

My daughter came up with a funny way of dealing with unwanted callers. What she does....or we all do now is when someone calls selling something....we say hold on let me get my dad ( in the case of my daughter answering ) then put the phone down and walk away. Seeing they are gonna waste our time...lets waste thiers. We just grab the phone every now and then see if they are still waiting. My daughter gets a big kick out of it....laughing the whole time trying to see how long they wait for before hanging up. lol

Great idea Dave . I was thinking about using my boat air horn but I know it's not the callers fault .....so yes , picking up the phone and letting it sit for a while would waste time & $$$ for these rude companies that call at dinner time & SUNDAY MORNING at 9:00a.m. Maybe I will play some tunes for them with my harmonica (Red River Valley would be nice.....) B)

Yoohoo , Horro SR. .......have you decided what you are going to do yet ? Looks like DIY can save you some bucks ........

Archived