Name That Bug?

iHasFish

I was down at the credit last week and I was hoping to "match the hatch" with the little (between a size 16-12) black bugs I kept seing in the melting ice. not sure what they were called but there were a ton of them around.

Are they natural forage for trout? I saw a few; not many in the water and I wasnt sure.

I'm having trouble deciding on size and what to throw lately too. Ive chucked big stoneflies, little black things (that look like the snow bugs), nymphs of every color and type, single eggs, egg clusters, leeches and swung every streamer in my box, even tried skating big foam flies like they do in BC and................. not a sniff. as you can see, I'm getting a little annoyed. haha.

if someone wouldnt mind pointing me in the right direction, I was looking for more info on the credit, but the forum for that river hasnt been updated in quite some time.

Here are a few to try. I haven't fished the Credit but these tend to work well early in the season.

Blue Wing Olive Parachute
Smith's Crippled Emerger
Schmid Down Deep Trico Spinner
Sparkle Soft Hackle
Spotlight Caddis Emerger
Davy's Skating Caddis

May's Identity Crisis

If you've tried all those already then hopefully some one else can chime in and help out.

You'll often see springtails on ice and snow. They are not aquatic, but if one fell into the water, fish would probably snap them up:

springtail2.jpg

This time of year, try caddis larva or any darker coloured mayfly nymph like the pheasant tail nymph. I've also seen stonefly hatches very early, but stick with caddis or mayfly nymphs in darker patterns.

CC is right. Small black stonefly nymphs should produce. Even if there is no visible hatch, remember that they nymphs are still down there and trout are still feeding on them. I recall a day on the river when nothing I cast would provoke a strike. I eventually noticed that the bottom was literally covered with "case-building" caddis larva. I waded across the head of the pool to dislodge as many as I could, sending them into the current, creating a "hatch" of my own making. With a caddis larva imitation on my tippet I moved downstream and was quicly rewarded with three fish in the next 20 minutes.

I am very surprised at all the great info. Thanks all. Time to get my butt on the bench and tie some of these suckers.

egg patterns pretty much done now I'm guessing?

anyone have any luck swinging streamers? I really like the techinque, its so much more fun than watching a float. but I'll take a fish on the line no matter how I got it there. haha.

Thanks again guys. if anyone ever wants to go for a wade, shoot me a message.

Made up my BUG NET the other night. (Great meshing)

Wont really be doing much more trout fishing in the next while (I'm more fall & Winter targeting)

but can also use the net for crayfish & Flying bugs during the late spring, summer and fall!

GOTTA LOVE THE NATURAL BAITS!

Nature made em already perfect

I often suspect that the importance of the pattern is over-rated by us fly flingers.

In the case of migratories, first you have to be sure that the damn fish are even in the river, or that stretch of river, at that time.

I don't screw around with a lot of patterns. What I pitch is something with a shitload of lead, a little bit of flash, and maybe a little smaller than the average fly being tossed. Dark, buggy, slim, tied 360, and simple to tie, so I don't go ape when I get hung up.

Then concentrate on presentation. The fly has to be near bottom and it has to be dead drifting. That means if you're not hanging up regularly, you're not doing it right. Nymphing is pretty fugging dull compared to pitching streamers, but the latter only works in certain times, I really doubt you'd find fish willing to chase a streamer in March cold water. But they will sidle over a few inches for a nice little nymph.

Definitely build a little screen from $10 worth of stuff at the local hardware store, stick it in the gravel and shuffle the rocks upstream of it. Note numbers, sizes, colors, and imitate, in a general manner. Very educational.

Orrrrrrrr.... if you have more money than time, don't think twice about hiring a good local guide. You'll get ten years worth of education in a few hours. Worth every penny.

Happy fishing!

I'm totally envious, btw. Credit is a 3 hour drive for me, sigh.

Was there again today I think the fish are on vacation somewhere else. Not a soul caught anything today. And the river was packed from the 403 to the lake. Oh well.

Ihasfish. Not saying its not possible but just wondering how you covered so much water to get from the 403 to the lake while fishing runs, riffles, pockets and pools. I personally can only work from 403 to dundas or dundas to the lake in a day and even that's stretching it. When the going is slow, think outside the box. If you had hooks flying at you are there any other spots to hide? Fish that and you will find em. Also I know the conditions are getting tougher with the clarity. Use a smaller "bait" and slow it down so the fish get a chance to see it

I drove from port credit, saw a bunch of people there, stopped at a few places on the way up to the 403. Did a lot of hiking after I stopped at erin mills park. the lot was full. I tried to find some empty water but there was someone fishing every 50 meters or so for as far as I went. talked to most that I passed and no one had been catching. Heard one guy had a hookup and that is about it.

I admit. I didn't try nymphing for long, I was dead set on getting one on the swing and I had one take, but I set the hook too quick and couldn't get it.

thanks for the advice though

Was there again today I think the fish are on vacation somewhere else. Not a soul caught anything today. And the river was packed from the 403 to the lake. Oh well.

They were on another trib bro... :P

steelXVIcsm_zpsc15c914a.jpg

cc

No landings on these and I'm a Noob but two hook-ups, both on the Credit. The two I had with me were thrashed, had to change em. They work though. Put a single split shot about 3 inches above and just drifted and bounced.

2013-03-17101425.jpg

Also, I have been researching a lot and western streams seem to have a bunch of luck with the SJW (san Juan worm). I've never tried it in Ontario, but I think I might and I'll definitely let everyone know.

Archived