Ideas For Keeping Minnows?

fenderbender

so i want to start a personal minnow farm and have the aquarium and all the supplies and i was wondering if anyone had any wisdom to pass down? one question i have is can i use tap water if i let it sit for a week or so, will it still kill them? thanks

The water needs to be treated to neutralize the chemicals used to render tap water safe. Such products are readily available at most pet shops. You need to keep a bottle on hand for when you need to top up your aquarium and replace evaporated water.

The best thing to use is a chest freezer where only half of it works, or keep the top open and one water heater in it along with filter and airator. Shinners love cold water and do better in it. And as for water id fill it up and let stand with filter running for 24-48 hours and add water conditioner and stress zyme make sure the water in the tank is the same temp as the water the minnows are in (if not must acclimate them by putting them in a large bag and letting them sit in water for about an hour) also make sure to use stress zyme in the bag with them to keep them alive. Good luck they are harder to keep in the summer without a freezer. Or just take a 5 gal bucket freez water in it and add a block of ice to the water every day.

I have used tap water to fill a 40 gal . plastic barrel to keep my minnows . I let the water stand for 2 days in 2 large 68 liter Tupperware tote boxes first , then drained off the old stale water which seems to build up with "minnow dung " over a few weeks . I never lost a minnow after the exchange with tap water after allowing the chemicals like chlorine to dissipate . I used 2 tote boxes to allow more surface area to be exposed to the air . I stopped feeding them this winter as I believe it caused them to make more dung ! As Bruce mentioned there are chems to buy that may speed up this process .....I have noticed guys who bought minnows from Peters tackle had some blue stuff in the water . This probably helps kill the chlorine and maybe helps kill bacteria also . And I also use an air pump & air stone . (unheated garage)

I have had the best luck with a chest freezer & alot of pails of river water from the same time i catch em.

I have also brought home 5 gal pails of river water (with tight lids) lol It works fine , but is heavy lifting .

What kind of minnows? I have kept tonnes of different species of fish lol

If you let the water stand for 24hrs the chlorine will dissapate. But I would get dechlorinator from a pet store also I would invest in a fluval 404 or greater for the pump you will also need to keep the water well oxygenated with a bubbler. Also the basement is the best spot for it, it will keep it cool.

What kind of minnows? I have kept tonnes of different species of fish lol

If you let the water stand for 24hrs the chlorine will dissapate. But I would get dechlorinator from a pet store also I would invest in a fluval 404 or greater for the pump you will also need to keep the water well oxygenated with a bubbler. Also the basement is the best spot for it, it will keep it cool.

yeah the basement is the plan the thermostat is always set to 65-68 upstairs so it should be plenty cool down there

Also I would invest in a test kit figure out the ph levels of where the fish came from and how hard or soft the water you are using is and do not plop the fish right in they need to be acclimatized what I do is get a freezer bag and slowly fill that with water from the tank like a cup every 20 minutes to half an hour. Also how big of a tank are you planning I currently have a 55 with nothing in it... A 75 with various tropical fish, a 35 with baby koi and about 4 other tanks.... Lol

Archived