Finally! The Eagles Are Here!

ron4blues

Quite a while back I made a post about the bald eagles nesting in Coote's Paradise. At the time there was mating behaviour but no offspring. This year they were early off the mark and it appears they have successfully produced offspring. This is exciting as it is apparently the first nesting pair of Bald Eagles in (this part) of Lake Ontario in many years, and definitely the first offspring.

Hopefully gawkers and amateur birdwatchers will leave them be so they can flourish. Please pass the word that if you see them, be sure to enjoy them from a distance.

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/908404--eaglets-on-cootes-shore-are-lake-ontario-s-first-in-decades

That`s REAL GOOD NEWS.

Hopefully the Area can Support the Whole Family. Good for the chick(s) if Mom & Dad are Smart.

Bald Eagle From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

250px-2010-bald-eagle-kodiak.jpg

The Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus; hali = salt, aeetus = eagle, leuco = white, cephalis = head) is a bird of prey found in North America. A sea eagle, it has two known sub-species and forms a species pair with the White-tailed Eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla). Its range includes most of Canada and Alaska, all of the contiguous United States, and northern Mexico. It is found near large bodies of open water with an abundant food supply and old-growth trees for nesting.

The Bald Eagle is an opportunistic feeder which subsists mainly on fish, which it swoops down and snatches from the water with its talons. It builds the largest nest of any North American bird and the largest tree nests ever recorded for any animal species, up to 4 meters (13 ft) deep, 2.5 meters (8.2 ft) wide, and one metric ton (1.1 tons) in weight.[2]Sexual maturity is attained at the age of four to five years.

Bald Eagles are not actually bald; the name derives from an older meaning of "white headed". The adult is mainly brown with a white head and tail. The sexes are identical in plumage, but females are larger than males. The beak is large and hooked. The plumage of the immature is brown.

The Bald Eagle is the national bird of the United States of America and appears on its Seal. In the late 20th century it was on the brink of extirpation in the continental United States. Populations recovered and the species was removed from the U.S. federal government's list of endangered species on July 12, 1995 and transferred to the list of threatened species. It was removed from the List of Endangered and Threatened Wildlife in the Lower 48 States on June 28, 2007.

Be neat to see if they feed off the Carp that Cruise the surface.

Bet the Eagle(s) COULDNT pull out one of the big guys out and up.

CARPS in PODS on SURFACE

CARPPOD.jpg

I read a comment from the spectator link from a person who is concerned about the windmills that apparently kill birds of all species ( they do not discriminate) . I have been fortunate to see the bald eagles while fishing at the lower Grand , flying over us & skimming the water to get their next meal . I have seen them flying very low over land here in St.Kitts , heading south from L.Ont towards Erie . The Niagara area is a flyway for many raptors & other birds . I hope we do not see them killed by the windmills .

Be neat to see if they feed off the Carp that Cruise the surface.

Bet the Eagle(s) COULDNT pull out one of the big guys out and up.

I wouldnt be so sure...

That goat was definatly heavier than most carp around here!

Archived