Saltwater Aquariums

Horrorshowrot

Anyone keep a saltwater and or reef tank before with success I am looking to start a saltwater tank but not really sure what to do with salinity, alkalinity and using reverse osmosis or not.

The guy that runs the pet store on ontario street will steer you in the right direction,actually most of there staff know their stuff ! I am drawing a blank on the name though.

Call Big Al's on cenntenial in hamilton, I have been dealing with them for over 15 years, never a problem. In fact they wont even sell you fish unless you bring in water samples for testing, and you need to give them tank info' such as gallon capacity and how many critters already live in the tank.

hope this helps!

My brother hsd a saltwater tank ... hed make the drive to Big Al's from St. Kitts. Hed deal with Petland only when a specific staff member was in.

Plus selection at Big Al's is much better

Chef you running salt or fresh? And I used to go to petland all the time, there salt water is barely even viable anymore.

fresh i used to have an 80gallon piranha tank and a 20 gl feeder tank, Big Al's has a huge selection of salt water stuff though, IMO they are all experts.

Take the drive one day and check them out, whats the worst thing that can happen, you go and see some pretty cool animals, then hit Union Burger next door for a bite to eat!

Big Al's is the way to go! I bought a 75 gallon tank for a reef set up a year ago just waiting for the funds to finish it but the also offer installation and set up which includes tank drilling and I believe they also do tank maintenance if you are unsure of what to do. I have bought 2 fresh water tanks from them and had no problems.

Oh dude... where to even start with that question. My tip to you is this, figure out whether you want a FOWLR tank, a soft coral setup, hard coral, etc. A FOWLR is a fish only with live rocks, easiest to maintain. Soft coral setups you're looking at a bit more mantainence and higher risk of total system crash and hard corals you'll need the super expensive lighting, enough of it that you could turn your entire house into Niagara Dam's #1 customer.

Do your own research and make your own decisions. Just because they work at Big Als doesn't mean every employee knows everything. The one my brother worked at, out of all the employees, there was one guy who ataully knew what he was talking about, the rest were just there. There are so many options of doing things one way or another its hurts the brain. Go bigger when you start, a larger water capacity has less likelyhood of crashing. If Nemo dies in a small 15 gallon, isn't located ( or eaten by your clean up crew ) and throws the water of balance, everything will die in your tank.

You have many options wth purchasing items and if I were to get back into the game, I"d buy used off Kijiji for one reason only, you wll save BIG bucks. When I was in high school I kept many freshwater fish and decided one day I wanted to go salt. 6 months of reasearch I was confdent with my decision and went out to buy the stuff, all brand new. Got outfitted with not even the best stuff ( I went soft coral, deep live bed setup ) and I was in around 2,000 if I remember correctly ( without a RO/DI filter, and live stock including lve rock and animals, which would probably set me bak another 1,500 ) On the net guys are unloading 3,000 dollar setups because they need to move and are so sick of maintaing the damned tank they want to get rid of it all for 800 ( and I bet you can get all that stuff for cheaper as well, if you wait for the right, hungry person to be selliing ).

Not trying to scare you away from saltwater, but you need to know what you are gettng into. I have a couple of friends with salts running and we love drinking beers next to their setups watching the communty interat with eachother.

Anyways, have fun! Show us pictures when you're done.

Archived