Disabilities

ChefMick

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

As per the 2013 Ontario Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary (p. 4), 'A person is deemed to be the holder of a Recreational Fishing Licence if they are:

Disabled Ontario and Canadian residents eligible for and in possession of:

• A Canadian National Institute for the Blind National Identity Card issued to them; or,

• An Ontario Ministry of Transportation Accessible Parking Permit issued to them; or,

• A black and white photocopy or printed version of an electronic copy of the Ontario Ministry of Transportation Accessible Parking Permit accompanied by any licence, permit, certificate, or identification card issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial or territorial government of Canada that indicates the person’s name and date of birth.

• Any licence, permit, certificate or identification card issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial or territorial government of Canada that indicates the person’s name and date of birth where the individual must be accompanied by and require the direct assistance of another person to fish and follow applicable fishing laws due to a condition of mental impairment or a developmental disability, a learning disability or dysfunction, or a mental disorder. The person accompanying the above person does not require a fishing licence if they are only assisting, but must have a licence if they wish to engage in fishing.

In the case of mental impairment or a learning disability, a written declaration by an attending medical professional may be requested as proof.

Those who qualify to fish with a deemed licence must follow the same catch and possession limits as a Sport Fishing Licence.

If none of the above criteria applies in your situation, you must possess a valid fishing licence and Outdoors Card (if applicable) in order to fish.

For more information on regulations regarding individual circumstances, we suggest speaking with Enforcement personnel at the MNR District office nearest your fishing location.

A list of MNR offices and their contact information can be found online athttp://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/ContactUs/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_179002.html.

Regards,

nric web reader - lb

Natural Resources Information Centre

PO Box 7000

Peterborough, ON, K9J 8M5

1-800-667-1940

TTY: 1-866-686-6072

Fax: 705-755-1677

mnr.nric.mnr@ontario.ca

I would like to extend my sincere gratitude and appreciation to Big Dog, from Niagara BassMasters, who donated a Quantum rod, Shimano reel and a tackle bag full of gear. I gave this package to Dave this morning and his face literally lit up like New Years eve.

He also sais thank you very much, but wanted to know what each piece of tackle was for.......cant wait to show him out on the water...

1st trip is set for Fifty Point ponds,

2nd trip is set for Mountsberg after Bass opener.

then hopefully the whirlpool in the fall.

Unfortunately Dave sais he gets seasick on boats so gonna be some limited fishing......for now!

• 3 months later...

Well the day finally arrived, after resolving some scheduling conflicts, and finding a body of water that was calm enough for Dave, we hit the Niagara BassMasters bass tourney' last night.

Dave and I had a blast, after a few lessons on casting with spinning gear Dave's lure was in the water and he, and I were all smiles.

What a great event, a great day and some good fishing.

407296429.jpg

407296433.jpg

407296435.jpg

I would really like to extend my many thanks to Josh a.k.a BigDog, and the club for donating all of Dave's gear, and to Jim the tournament director for having us!!

Cant wait until next time!

Tight lines.

Kudos to you Mick :worthy: . The smile on Dave's face (sitting in boat) says it all ! It takes special people to treat special people well . I have always talked to handicapped people no different than non handicapped . And another thank you to Big Dog and the Niagara BassMasters for reaching out to people like Dave . Licenses should be made easy to get for our handicapped , after all , there are thousands like me who do not need a license because we are older ........( & wiser , thus catch more fish) :)

I will gladly donate my license fee to such a worthy cause . I have seen the faces of handicapped people light up at the SCGFA Kids Derby when they hooked a goby & when receiving their prizes . I believe this warms the heart for most of us .

Archived