Disabilities

ChefMick

Does anyone know if persons affected with mental and/or physical disabilities require a fishing liscence, one of my best dishwashers is a fine gentleman who hears me constantly banter on and on about fishing. Today he nervously asked me to take him out one day, he has no gear & no liscense, the gear I will lend him, but will I still need to get him a one day permit??

SERIOUS answers only guys, this post is respectful, please keep it that way.

If he does not have the blue handicap access permit for the vehicle, he will need a certificate of prooof of disability. It really is unfortunate that social services has not come up with a wallet ID for the handicapped, or at least a marker on the Health card. Unless a handicapped person has access to a vehicle, most would not think to apply for the sticker

Maybe just buy him a conservation liscence just

To be safe as a gift. I'm sure he'd be

Overjoyed and little things go so far in this world. I really appreciate your sincerity mick would love to hit a shore spot or outing one day .

Overjoyed and little things go so far in this world. I really appreciate your sincerity mick would love to hit a shore spot or outing one day .

+1 Mick, just in case the one day outing gets him "hooked"!

His gift does not allow him to operate a motor vehicle of any kind, I think a conservation lis. Might be the way to go.

I may be his only portal to fishing, and my time is limited, I think I would rather purchase a conservation lis. The money will go where the mnr needs it, and not only will Dave be fishing, but that little yellow slip might give him one more thing to be proud of.

Thanks everyone for your input!

His gift does not allow him to operate a motor vehicle of any kind, I think a conservation lis. Might be the way to go.

I may be his only portal to fishing, and my time is limited, I think I would rather purchase a conservation lis. The money will go where the mnr needs it, and not only will Dave be fishing, but that little yellow slip might give him one more thing to be proud of.

Thanks everyone for your input!

i had a guy like that who would come into my old work, and i would always make sure to go out and talk to him. the managers were jerks though and would make fun of him and then even said they would hire him and then they told him they were joking.. brutal. but i had one of my best conversations with him. i hate when people dont give them the time of day.. im sure thats half the reason he asked you to take him. im sure its something he will talk about for quite some time,just for extra memories you should remember to take pics of him and all the fish im sure you will get him onto, make the memory that much better

Netman, no need my friend, I have the gear covered, but super cool of you to offer....if you do happen to find a rod you don't use please consider donating it to charities involving underprivileged children...and that goes to everyone!!

As per hooking up, I love fishing by myself ...it's my peace....and my personal vacation .

But nothing beats fishing for the 1st time with a fellow NFN member.

The pool would be my 1st choice, it's my Zen, but with Dave it's not about bagging fish all day, he has never had the opportunity to fish right in our back yard, I would 1st like to show him the beauty of it, then if the fish are on, just bonus. It's more about getting out there and sharing the experience.

Awesome of you Mick. My son is handicapped as well and any chance of stimulation to the mind gives great satisfaction to them. Good on ya...bud

It's sad that far too many will not give the handicapped the time of day. I have family members who, since childhood have had physical or mental disabilities. I have never tolerated cruelty to them or any other handicapped person, and yes it has gotten me in a little "forgiven" trouble with authorities over the years. I and my daughter both suffer from spinal disabilities. Only in the past 5-6 years has it really begun to affect what I can or can't do, but I was born stubborn.

All any handicapped person really wants is an opportunity, a chance, to enjoy many of the things we take for granted, and to be taken seriously, regardless of their limitation.

I hope you and your friend at work have a great outing Mick

That sounds like a great idea''''''

Mick if he is "ability" is noticeable to the eye you will not be hassled if not I suggest the one day At least even though you don't know me I'm at the pool quite often and would be willing to help you cover a years license for him I think it's 25$ but call the mnr first and express your concern. We can arrange a time to fish the pool

Since you started a great thing here Mick i'll look into getting donations and find an organization where we can donate to.. If there are none we will create one.. Good stuff..

Since you started a great thing here Mick i'll look into getting donations and find an organization where we can donate to.. If there are none we will create one.. Good stuff..

Post this when u find or start one Im in for 25.00 good job Mick

OK being the type of person I am, when it comes to doing something I always jump in with both feet.

i'm going to talk to the Toole family and find out which organization or charity they are involved in, Ralph does the annual Ed Toole memorial golf tourney with a banquette dinner to follow here at Mick and Angelo's.

After collecting all of the info I need, I will need some help and support from either the staff or the members to organize the first annual on shore fishing derby benefiting persons with disabilities.

I have organized many events in the past, however none RE: a fishing touney or derby, this I will need assistance with, hopefully one of the local clubs can get involved or at least lead me in the right direction.

also I will be needing somebody involved in Niagara Parks or the city to get permission for such an event, despite the location of said event when determined.

I will be contacting some friends of mine on the pro circuit to see if they or the companies they represent can be involved in any way.

As per advertising such an event in the media, I believe I have that covered.

So there it is for now, just on the napkin still so to speak. I'm not promising anything but I think if we all (whomever is interested) give this a good go, this can be the start of something special for our community and persons with special needs.

NFN staff if this gets off the ground, I was wondering if we could sticky this somewhere to keep it in one place.

Thanks everyone.

right on mick !!!

I work with a lot of people that are disabled its sad to see them "swept under the rug" all they want is to be treated normal

I take the time to get to know them by name and say hi them at least once a day when I'm doing my rounds

all it takes is that one little "hello" to brighten their day

be sure to keep us updated on how he did and how he liked it

Archived