Favourite Carp Baits

yakfish

I thought a thread about carp bait would be helpful to people new to carp fishing. I know some people are protective of their recipes, so this is a good experiment to see who willing to share! So...what are your favourite baits??

For me just plain whole kernel corn from the can is a top producer. I also like Wheatie balls or Wheaties with garlic or Wheaties with strawberry Jello. Marshmallows' are a surprisingly good bait as well.

I fished for carp at Jordan on Saturday ......some white bread slices , can of corn , puffed corn , grated bread , small white marshmellows & worms . I tried all the baits & finally got a real scrappy carp on a bread ball about the size of a quarter .

Depending on the time of year and conditions canned corn is the best. Only problem though is other fish can quickly strip it off your hook. The 'carp corn' sold in fishing stores are usually firmer and last longer making them more resistant to pests. Worms are another one but other fish usually get to them first.

So, my favorite are bait's are store bought corn that can stand up to nuisence fish such as brands like 'Cukk' corn. Though it is possible to make simular baits like them yourself.

Boiled field corn or 'cattle corn' is a close second. It can be bought at farm feed supply depots.

This is a good topic that could easily take up pages.

I'd have to say store bought corn in a can. We usually bring a large can of corn and a dozen worms, if we don't get any carp on the corn then we switch to the worms just to catch something lol.

I've tried boillies before and currently have a bunch in my tackle bag, but I have never caught a fish on them, so they are just sitting there doing nothing for almost two years now.

Try putting the canned corn in small spawn sacs to prevent the nuisance fish from stealing it. A trick I've used is to keep the spawn sacs in a margarine container of creamed corn. When you put the sac on the hook and cast it out...voila...instant chum and scent trail.

What do you use to wet it with?

I used a similar recipe using creamed corn for moister but just plain water works as well.

Anyone have any luck with those small marshmellows ? They are very buoyant and stay on the hook without being attacked by gobies or other small fish . Maybe they can be perforated with a pin to hold scent and coloured with cool aid .

Anyone have any luck with those small marshmellows ? They are very buoyant and stay on the hook without being attacked by gobies or other small fish . Maybe they can be perforated with a pin to hold scent and coloured with cool aid .

Do you use the marshmellows Smerchly? I've never tried them personally, however I do LOVE coyotehunters idea with the spawn sac's, I am going to give that a try for sure, and when I called my "preferred" tackle shop today the owner suggested something else too, so now I cannot wait to get out to try both, hope to have some hogs to post here next week sometime.

Frank , I only tried them for an hour last week at Jordan with no luck , but they look good on the hook , floating up an inch or so from the bottom . I even tried eating some myself and they were quite tasty .

Frank , I only tried them for an hour last week at Jordan with no luck , but they look good on the hook , floating up an inch or so from the bottom . I even tried eating some myself and they were quite tasty .

Haha! yeah I have the same problem when people told me to use shrimp for catfish, I put two on a hook and I ate the rest waiting for a bite. lol

Archived