Finding The Carp, Again

Lex

Well as mentioned in a previous post I'm new to carp fishing so I'm learning as I go along here, lol. I've managed to land some really nice fish this spring but have noticed that my fishing spot has gone cold (not catching any fish) over the last few outings. Just wondering if any experienced carp anglers could maybe pass on a little advise and answer a few questions. Just want to try a learn about these great fish, they really are incredibly fun to catch, and release of course.

-I guess my first question would be about weather and if carp are harder to catch as the water temp rises?

-Do carp go further into to deeper water as the season goes on? Most of mine were caught pretty close to the edge of the river.

-Been chumming the water with corn, was working great but lately seems less effective.

-Any general tips on finding the carp again???

Maybe useful to know when looking at these questions, I've been fishing out of the (Welland River) in Wellandport, like I said was really productive but lately, nothing. Water level has really risen with all the rain we've been getting, thought maybe that might have effected the bite? Just hoping someone can pass on some friendly advise when fishing for carp throughout the season. Really enjoy fishing for this species and I'm hoping to find them again, soon. Thank you in advance.

Well as mentioned in a previous post I'm new to carp fishing so I'm learning as I go along here, lol. I've managed to land some really nice fish this spring but have noticed that my fishing spot has gone cold (not catching any fish) over the last few outings. Just wondering if any experienced carp anglers could maybe pass on a little advise and answer a few questions. Just want to try a learn about these great fish, they really are incredibly fun to catch, and release of course.

-I guess my first question would be about weather and if carp are harder to catch as the water temp rises?

-Do carp go further into to deeper water as the season goes on? Most of mine were caught pretty close to the edge of the river.

-Been chumming the water with corn, was working great but lately seems less effective.

Maybe useful to know when looking at these questions, I've been fishing out of the (Welland River) in Wellandport, like I said was really productive but lately, nothing. Water level has really risen with all the rain we've been getting, thought maybe that might have effected the bite? Just hoping someone can pass on some friendly advise when fishing for carp throughout the season. Really enjoy fishing for this species and I'm hoping to find them again, soon. Thank you in advance.

I do not fish the Welland River, but in the waters I fish alot of carp have spawning on the mind right now as opposed to eating. Can you still see evidence of the carp? surfacing, thrashing, rolling, etc? If so, they are still there and just not in the mood to eat right now.

Yes I still see them jumping from time to time, not like a few weeks ago though. I was able to chum the area and watch multiple fish gather in the area and stir the waters bellow. I suppose my title is a little misleading I guess I don't need to find them so much as I need to entice them to bite again, lol. How long do they stay focussed on spawning and when can I expect to see the bite back on. I'm sure every fish and area is a little different, just wondering if there is a ball park time/date to look out for? Thanks for the feedback by the way.

Yes I still see them jumping from time to time, not like a few weeks ago though. I was able to chum the area and watch multiple fish gather in the area and stir the waters bellow. I suppose my title is a little misleading I guess I don't need to find them so much as I need to entice them to bite again, lol. How long do they stay focussed on spawning and when can I expect to see the bite back on. I'm sure every fish and area is a little different, just wondering if there is a ball park time/date to look out for? Thanks for the feedback by the way.

If they are eating your chum, they are definitely catchable fish.....You would be surprised how much chum a pod of carp can eat in a short amount of time. If they eat all of your chum they will leave your swim in search of more food. If they are interested in your chum and feeding in your swim, I suggest that you continue to chum frequently and in smaller quantities (not sure how you are chumming), in order to keep them in your swim, and experiment with different hookbaits to find what they want.

All in all, some days will always be better than others, that's why it's called fishing and not catching :)

I wasn't clear in the previous post, should have said was seeing them gather in the chummed area. Thats the thing, they don't seem to be gathering around the chummed area the way used to lately. Just curious if there are seasonal factors that I'm unaware of with carp as this is all new to me. Should be noted the water levels where I fish have gone through serious fluctuation with all the rain we've had not sure if this would cause the turn off. Like I said earlier just curious, could be completely unrelated reasons and just one of those things seen during a season. Just funny how it went from really solid action to hardly a sniff. Again, thanks for the feedback.

I wasn't clear in the previous post, should have said was seeing them gather in the chummed area. Thats the thing, they don't seem to be gathering around the chummed area the way used to lately. Just curious if there are seasonal factors that I'm unaware of with carp as this is all new to me. Should be noted the water levels where I fish have gone through serious fluctuation with all the rain we've had not sure if this would cause the turn off. Like I said earlier just curious, could be completely unrelated reasons and just one of those things seen during a season. Just funny how it went from really solid action to hardly a sniff. Again, thanks for the feedback.

if theres been alot of rain and the waters raised, they could be foraging on things like worms and insects that were flushed into the river from the rain, not saying thats what it is, but thats a possibility

Your questions. I hope this helps.

No. Carp are warm water fish. But like all fish carp are "cold blooded" and they may take a little time to adjust to changes in water temperature. There are upper limits in temperature at which carp are not " comfortable" We are no where near that and here in Ontario you would be hard pressed to find a place too warm for carp.

They may go deeper as the water warms. As the season progresses and the warmth penetrates the water, the carp will be able to feed and function at greater depths .

This may be due to the fish spawning as already stated. Also as I stated above carp do go through periods where they need some time to adjust to changing water temperatures.Try different times of the day. This may help as well.

Carp gather in the spring before the spawn and then after they may disperse to their summer feeding areas. The same features that hold other fish may also hold carp. The edges of weed beds, drop offs, the inside bend of a river, and current breaks are all good places to check out.

These are just some general things to go by. Good luck and tight lines.

just go out have a look if its clear water you should see some even look for feeding bubbles if the water is muddy you find where their feeding chum the water then start fishing if you wanna leave throw more of you bait out and come back the next day they should be there around the time you chummed they get into routines on when food comes

I saw some nice size carp in the marina at Port Dal.today . Some were in pairs & then there was 4 together in shallow water about 4' deep . They look like they are playing , just cruising around & taking in the sights & laughing at the fisherman . No one was targeting them but I wondered if they would go for some nice fresh corn or a bread ball . I don't think they would be interested in eating when they play but you never know ....if your offering smells good .......There's more carp cruising both sides of the piers in the lake also .

Just want to say thanks to all those offering up advise. Hoping to get out tomorrow, have to say I've been fishing for a long time, mainly from a boat or my kayak, miles out on the lake. Catching these carp though have really opened my eyes to how much fun can be had from shore with minimal equipment. What a blast it is hooking into one of these great fish and the fish is right up there among the best if not the best I've ever had. I love the sub culture around these fish and all the specialized gear you can get into should you choose. Speaking of which I made my own boilies last night can't wait to give them a try. Again thank you to those who have taken the time to answer my questions, very much appreciated.

Archived