Any Spot Suggestion For Bowfin?

ngoufei

Just like jessek said the grand below the dunnville dam. I Catch at least a couple during the summer nothing huge maybe 6 to seven pounds. But my son caught a wopper last summer on a jig that was 11lbs plus gave a unreal fight. Wish I still had thepicture from my old blackberry They are there just put in the time

Chippawa Creek/Welland River in Niagara Falls has a healthy population of them. Incredible power in that fish. I have caught them on texas rigged pumpkin seed worms and white spinner baits, etc. Basically anything I throw at bass, they seem to like.

Is it true you should strip 3 feet of line off everytime you get one? I recall reading that if they "slime" your line its best to cut the "contaminated" line.

I have never had a problem with this, I also use 20lb braid and a wire leader if that makes a difference. (they can easily bite through 20lb braid....and hooks)

They are really hard to grip for pictures because they are so slimy and it's very difficult to get under their gill plate like some other toothy fish. Their head is all bone and they close their gill plate tightly when threatened. I've been meaning to try out landing gloves to see if they help, but I haven't caught one for a while.

Archived