Any Spot Suggestion For Bowfin?

ngoufei

ive never caught any bowfin before. i watch some videos on youtube about how to catch a bowfin but i dont know where i can find them.

from what water can i find bowfin?

carp from Gibson this afternoon

093bb1e2-bd2b-4d54-bc1a-5e9bf993ebc5_zps

df51e38f-cbbe-4c81-8d72-48bed3cc65e9_zps

try a quick search on our search bar, im sure typing in bowfin alone will bring up lots of results, as for places to catch them, look for the same places youd catch bass, and as for water, i think i seen a report of someone whos gotten a few outta the welland river, good luck!

Oswego Creek has a good amount. We always catch one or two when we go out there. Usually with a wrom. Hold on if you get one. They put up quite the fight ! Goodluck in your search, and tight lines ! :)

Thanks for all the information guys. I dont know where Lyons creek or 15 mile creek or Oswego creek is but I will do some research and figure out how to get there. i'm making a bowfin fishing trip this sunday will let you know if i can catch some:)

Good to see those carp looking healthy!! I've heard bowfin are around the aquaduct on the wellend river:)

it's not a big one but honestly its the biggest one i've ever caught lol.

thanks for the hint and i will do my research on google earth.

This, and center island is loaded with bowfin if you feel like a road trip.....

i would like to try Welland River first then Grand.. actually i caught lot of big catfish in Grand during the past few years. i think catfish is similar to bowfin?

Man I never got one before. Then last year 3. The fight is awesome and they are a cool looking fish. Ya I was surprised to see the size of that one I got it at like 11pm one night last summer. Pm me if ur hittin up the river I live I'm Welland and also out Smashin big ones

I haven't done to well this year yet. But when I start hittin I don't stop

i get them fishing for cats all the time off cambrough road the river that runs along it there its lots of spots to stop and fish i get them with shrimp almost at least one every trip im sure there is a better bait if your just tryin to target them but i caught everything using shrimp there lots of action its one of my fav spots from shore

hdAsOCi.jpg

CqXjoF4.jpg. On cut bait fishing for cats

that fish has a mean mug

Those fish have been around as long as I have (prehistoric) . They can be very aggressive and will hit spinners like Mepps or Vibrax etc. I like using a lively minnow under a float , about 10" off bottom . They have strong jaws and wear a suit of armor and will fight like a freshwater bone fish . Charles Daley Park would be a good spot to try . :Gonefishing:

Bowfin are one of the coolest fish there are imo.. They are on my top 3 after brook trout and pike. I have heard that the grand river below the caledonia dam is a pretty good spot to catch them at but I have never been down because I have heard way to many bad stories about cars getting broken into etc at the dam. Another spot that I know has quite a few is the rankin lakes on the bruce peninsula.

For bait, I know they love worms a lot, and they also eat fish such as chubs and shiners fished under a float after dark. When I fish for them i always use a metal leader because their teeth look absolutely nasty... bigger than a pike's.

General areas, bowfin really seem to like very shallow, weedy, warm water. Maybe because it's very easy for them to ambush prey in that sort of habitat + the warmer temps aid in digestion. Basically, you look for them where you look for bass, and you should get them.

I'm not sure how abundant they are in all bodies of water (i.e. if you stopped at a random bassey-looking pond, what your chances of hooking in to a bowfin would be like?), maybe someone else can chime in on this.

One spot that looks super good to me is the grindstone marshes where grindstone creek empties into hamilton harbor. The reason I have so much interest in that particular spot for bowfin is one time i was volunteering at a garbage cleanup, and I got talking to one of the guys coordinating it about fishing there, and he said there are a lot of bowfin. However, I have only caught one there myself, and that was with a worm right beside the rickety bridge. I have also tried using salted dead minnows on the bottom at dusk into the dark, but the only thing I caught was a snapping turtle, a big downgrade from a fish like a bowfin or channel cat. (I'd absolutely love to catch a channel cat there too). But if you use worms, all you will catch is white bass and bullhead before any bowfin or channel cats can get to the bait. I have also heard shrimp works really well for the channel cats there but I've never tried it, so I don't even know if bowfin like it too or not.

Anyhow, good luck with catching some, a lot of people don't like them for some reason but imo they are a really cool looking fish and they give up a great fight on the end of your line too.

Man I never got one before. Then last year 3. The fight is awesome and they are a cool looking fish. Ya I was surprised to see the size of that one I got it at like 11pm one night last summer. Pm me if ur hittin up the river I live I'm Welland and also out Smashin big ones

I haven't done to well this year yet. But when I start hittin I don't stop

Thanks so much bud! I'm planning a night fishing trip to Welland next weekend. It would be great if you could take the lead. I'm kinda bored of getting bass, pike or carp at Gibson. I want something different. Please let me know if you are available next weekend.

i get them fishing for cats all the time off cambrough road the river that runs along it there its lots of spots to stop and fish i get them with shrimp almost at least one every trip im sure there is a better bait if your just tryin to target them but i caught everything using shrimp there lots of action its one of my fav spots from shore

I checked it on Google Maps, I should try there sometime. :Gonefishing:

@northernpike56

I used to live in Hamilton and Caledonia Dam was where I learnt fishing lol.

Thanks for your advise, it's not a bad idea to go back there and try some casts.

by the way, the conservation area on Upper James has lots of good size channel cats.

You can try Point Abino bay, saw a couple in the shallows yesterday while fishing the Bertie boat club tournament. 1-4 feet and sand bottom so if you do not have a boat you can wade, look for structure.

You can try Point Abino bay, saw a couple in the shallows yesterday while fishing the Bertie boat club tournament. 1-4 feet and sand bottom so if you do not have a boat you can wade, look for structure.

Good spot, I've caught lots of them there perch fishing ...

• 1 month later...

They will ambush spinner baits close to weed beds ( lily pads) . We used to catch them on Mepps with a bucktail or adding a worm . Today I would use a float & lively minnow in those waters .

They will ambush spinner baits close to weed beds ( lily pads) . We used to catch them on Mepps with a bucktail or adding a worm . Today I would use a float & lively minnow in those waters .

That's exactly what I've been doing :)

I haven't tried minnows before though, just worms. Do minnow stay on the hook better?

Go for the thickest weeds, if you are catching bass, you are in the right spot.

Archived