Ticks

ChefMick

Hey all, today I awoke at 6 a.m, did the usual SSS bathroom routine then headed off to work for 9.

I left work at 9 p.m and did my usual veggie drop off to the urban wildlife centre in Grimsby ( Cara let me feed all the squirrels before their bedtime)

Upon arriving at home I got changed into my "evening attire" and noticed I had a tick attached between my big toe and index toe on my right foot.

Let me tell you I was quite surprised, my 1st thought how the heck did this thing get me, sure I'm wearing kitchen clogs which have open air vents but what about my socks?

Anyway I will spare the rest of the details, PLEASE read this link so everyone has a safe summer.

http://www.childrenshospital.org/az/Site1255/mainpageS1255P1.html

Ya me and wach of my 3 dogs each had ticks last year!! You can take them off yourself, I did bring it to the vet and they said it was a "dog tick" and they don't carry lime disease. Also safe bet to get the tick checked out.

Chef-pm some details about the veggie drop off we go thru tons at work as well. I'd love to feed some animals instead:)

Guest terry1368

a good home made remedy for tics is 1 cup of water--------2 cups of distilled vinegar (white)----- and one table spoon of veg.oil place in spray bottle.

Thanks for the tick info & link ChefMick . People need to be aware of the increase of the tick population and the measures they can take to prevent getting infected by these tiny wee beasties . I question the part that said remove ticks with fine tweezers , but do not "squeeze" the ticks . Tweezers will squeeze (squash) them since they are metal .....maybe there are soft tipped tweezers ? I picked one off my arm using my fingers , pulling it off slowly and checking to make sure the head was still intact , and then applied peroxide on my skin . Well , I got one "S" in so far today .....the "S"have & "S"hampoo are next ...... :)

Hey Bill, with the tweezers you actually need to pinch the skin around the bite entry and remove that in one swift yank, thereby not squeezing the actual tick!

Great article in the Hamilton Spec today regarding Lyme disease and the fact that because of different ways of testing in Canada US and Europe, a negative test here could be a positive in US or Europe!

Magnotta Wines owner died from Lyme!

Check out The Spec.com for article.

Hey Bill, with the tweezers you actually need to pinch the skin around the bite entry and remove that in one swift yank, thereby not squeezing the actual tick!

Thanks Mick ! That sounds like a better way to pull them off . I would try diesel fuel or gas on them if I thought it would get them to let go but if they are securely attached with their head buried in your skin they may not feel the gas , Vicks , rubbing alcohol , soap , peroxide , or blow torch . Why are the ticks so plentiful , never had many ticks years ago . We do have more deer , coyotes , and other animals like beavers here now . Birds & squirrels :glare::deadhorse: also carry ticks . When I fish places where the ticks roam I need to take both sunscreen & bug repellant !

Another bug that is really getting bad is the earwig , they are all over the place now and damage the plants .

a good home made remedy for tics is 1 cup of water--------2 cups of distilled vinegar (white)----- and one table spoon of veg.oil place in spray bottle.

I am going to try this! even though I really wouldn't know if it works because I think Ticks hate my Italian olive oil skjn LOL, I have never had a tick on me, I know, never say never so i'll knock on wood so it stays that way.

Hey Frank ....psssst ......never mind the vinegar , just keep eating the spicy meata ball & extra virgin olive oil and lotsa garlic , and they will never bother you . It is working for you now . lol

Take a match, light it and then blow it out. Touch that to the tick and they let go. Im sure there is lots of ways but that works for me.

Never use any method other than the pulling methods, burning them and trying to suffocate them causes them to regurgitate and could increase the chance of an infection.

• 2 months later...

Archived