12 Mile Creek

steelshady

I live on the 12 mile creek along the Merritt trail off Rose Street; I fished there a few times below Welland Vale Rd with tube jigs and live bait but never caught anything. Has anyone caught fish in this area? I tried fishing for bass with 3/8 ounce jigs/tubes last night but could not catch anything. Maybe carp and catfish would be a better fish to target in this area?

Small deep diver crank baits work there and keep close to the rocks near shore . I prefer to use weightless tubes on a 3 way set up with a 1/2 to 5/8 oz sinker , they really zig-zag about in the fast current . A worm harness also gets , both large & small mouth . If you have plenty of time work both sides right up to the old GM plant .

Small deep diver crank baits work there and keep close to the rocks near shore . I prefer to use weightless tubes on a 3 way set up with a 1/2 to 5/8 oz sinker , they really zig-zag about in the fast current . A worm harness also gets , both large & small mouth . If you have plenty of time work both sides right up to the old GM plant .

Mr. 12 mile knows his stuff.

Thanks smerchly, its a tricky place to fish due to the fast current and trees along the bank but the beavers did a good job this year with the tree trimming. Will let you know how I make out next time I go.

Last time I was there (snapper pictures) the minnows were thick in there . There seems to be a minnow population explosion this year in many places . Naturally , they will be great for bait at the 12 Mile , even my salties come in handy when bottom fishing drop shot style. Cats like them too !

• 2 weeks later...

I'm usually at my parents house for dinner on Sundays, they are at the end of Violet St. Probably where you make your access to the trail. Maybe we could hook up one Sunday. I've got a spot where I fish for smallies there and usually have good success with shrimp. Of course if you go farther down the creek you'll end up in Martindale pond which opens up a bunch of possibilities.

Fished it the other day, and like Smerch said, stay close to the rocks. I was looking for current breaks along the banks. I was drifting a lipless crank and "jigging" it and letting it fall on slack line along the bank. Cast ahead of the current break and let it drift into it.

Also picked up fish on a split shot rig, with a Gulp! Alive Emerald Shiner - 2.5"...same presentation as before but deadsticking it.

Archived