Walley In The Fridge

midas69er

Hey Guys how long can I keep fresh walleye fillet's in the fridge before they are not so fresh anymore, any idea?

Went out with my boys 4 and 6 year olds in the hot Erie, got a 5 lb er, it was cool they saw me catch it, helped me net it and then bring it home and even helped me clean it, only issue was we didn't get in till late and I wasn't able to cook it up???

I have kept fillets for up to 3 days but I think I was pushing the time span for freshness ,although they were only wrapped tightly in shrink wrap cellophane . I would give your fish the sniff test , try the cat first ....if it turns it back on it , toss it . If it still smells like fresh fish eat it el pronto or chuck it in the freezer . We have a chef here on board .....Mick can give us better info.......

A few days is no problem. Think about commercially caught fish. A commercially caught fish from the ocean has to hit the processing plant, packaged up, shipped out, etc...

That fish is 3 days old before it even gets to your house. And chances are, it'll sit a day in your fridge before you cook it up. You can always do what the commercial guys do, and give it a quick dip in a cold salt water solution before putting in your fridge, firms the flesh up, and keeps it fresh a bit longer.

I'll vouch for three days. Just make sure she's sealed tight in a ziplock or quality tight tupperware.

All you folks with your amazing walleye catches this week is making me crave dredged-and-fried-to-moist-plump-flaky-white-melt-in-the-mouth fillets!

I'll vouch for three days. Just make sure she's sealed tight in a ziplock or quality tight tupperware.

All you folks with your amazing walleye catches this week is making me crave dredged-and-fried-to-moist-plump-flaky-white-melt-in-the-mouth fillets!

agreed 100% iv been craving fish real bad lately thanks to this board:P

It all depends on bacteria growth in the danger zone.

If the fish was caught and placed in ice, then straight to the fridge....you can get up to 7 days as long as it remains intact and below 4 C. and wrapped in a manner devoid of oxygen.

If the fish was caught and placed in ice, then straight to the cutting board lets say for 15 minutes to scale or fillet, then straight to the fridge. this will knock two days off just from sitting in the danger zone which is between 5 C.-59 C. this temperature range is ideal for bacterial growth.

If the fish was caught and put in the trunk on a hot summer day and you have an hour drive home. I would suggest eating it straight away, if this is not an option, cooling down the fish in an ice bath until its internal temps are below 4 C. store in the fridge and consume within 24 hrs.

also make sure everything that touches the fish IE: your hands, the container, the ice and cleaning utensils are sanitary, this will ensure a greater shelf life.

Leave it to a chef to count the wee beasties ( bacteria) in food ! :ninja: I have seen pictures lately of fish that were obviously dead for a while before they met the cleaning knife . When an animal dies the liver begins to start the decomposing process and begins to ruin the meat for consumption. I assume the same applies to fish . It may be better to gut & de-gill fish and put the meat on ice if they die while we are still fishing , especially in hot weather . Thanks Chef , we are fortunate to have you here to help us stay healthy ....not fun getting food poisoning !

Congrats on the new float Rob . I hope you christen the ship with a few nice eyes ......no wimmens allowed on the maiden trip ok ......

ate it after 3 days, tasted amazing still, wow the Walleye fishing is great this year, went out his weekend and pulled in a few more keepers!!

Archived