Good Day Of Fishing

Lex

Well being new to carp fishing I guess you could say I'm learning as I go. Started fishing for carp this spring and I guess it's safe to say I've developed quite the addiction. May and June were really good and I was catching nice fish on a pretty regular basis. Went away and came back at the beginning of July and found that the carp had completely shut down. Was still able to get them into my swim (though not many) but the bite was almost non existent. I really think though carp are warm water fish that heat wave we had a few weeks ago really affected them and slowed things down. Happy to say though that the bite has been much better the last couple days, this morning being the most interesting by far. Started the morning out by hooking what must have been the biggest snapping turtle I've ever seen (real treat getting him unhooked) though I did and he was set on his way, must have been over 20lbs he was huge, would have snapped a pic but he wasn't interested in hanging around nor did I want to wrestle him any more then I already did. Followed that with a couple commons and then the prize of the day, my first mirror, I was pumped. He put up a nice fight and when I saw him prior to netting I was pretty excited, even more so when I brought him to the net and he swam back out for another run. Brought him back in and finally into the net, weighed him and snapped a few pics. Finished the day off with a nice size channel cat on a double boillie hair rig, lol. Sorry for the lengthy post but just wanted to share as I'm pretty pumped that the bite seems to have come back on as well as the mirror. Can't believe I waited all this time to try carp fishing, lol.

A pic of the mirror and one of the commons from the other day.

IMG_0151_zpsb16e21a4.jpg

IMG_0149_zpsba13164e.jpg

Way to go , congrats on your 1st mirror carp . I got on last year....hell of a fighter ! It must have been very challenging using the pin .

Thanks and he was a good fight as well. Except for a couple fish when I first started I've been using the pin. Have yet to use it for float fishing, lol. The fight is great but definitely challenging. Lost a really nice one today as well pulled like a freight train, was holding the reel too tight and snapped the line, happened really fast I guess that's the down side of being your own drag system, sure is fun fighting them in though.

awesome man, that must have been fun on the pin for sure. What kind of setup / rig you using for them?

Actually hairwig, I am using a bolt rig set up. I haven't tried fishing for them on the float but its something I'd like to try at some point. To tell you the truth I've been having really good success with a method feeder setup and hair rig. Was out this morning and it was my best session yet. Had 6 in total and had to leave to meet with my uncle otherwise I would have loved to stay longer. Was playing around with a new ground bait I put together and I don't know if it was that or just one of those great fishing days but it was a great time to say the least, biggest was just over 12 pounds.

Archived