Why Do Carp Hate Me ?

Jmo1685

The titile says it all...

This summer is the first time I have seriously gone after Carp. My results... hundreds of hours on the water, and 1 tiny 2 pound carp to show for it. :(

Ive fished rivers, lakes and ponds... I've put out corn, worms, and doughballs...I've tried under a float, and with a slip rig off the bottom...

I don't get why I can't seem to get the Carp anywhere near my line. Ive gone through this forum and tried many suggestions that were offered on other posts, and to no avail!

I'm coming to you guys for help ! I dont need secret spots (As my spots all have carp), or any secret baits or anything like that. Just maybe some pointers to help me catch some carp!

Thanks Alot for reading this guys ! :)

i dont know how much help this will be, but when i find im getting carp stripping my hook before i can set the hook, i find a good rid to do is doughball and a hook, on the ;lightest line you feel comfortable carp fishing with, in my case i squeeze a doughball on and cast it out, i let there be lots of slack line and i open my bail and set my rod on 2 sticks stuck in the ground, this way you can see the lightest bites, and the carp feel absolutely no pressure when taking the bait, this will get fish on my line when nothing else works, also, why not try chumming your area for 3 days and get the carp on a schedule, say go every night at 6 and dump a bag of frozen corn in a concentrated area, do it 3 nights and then on the fourth night fish corn with abit of chum, chum after every tug from a fish to keep the pod in your area.

your discovering the beautiful thing that is fishing, out in tons of time and effort and nothing to show, i had the same deal last year with steelheads. put in tons of work, with nothing to show, then one day i caught a beauty brown in port and iv been catching then solid since then, good luck though. im sure it wont be long till you get into a few fatties

Thanks for the advice ! Im gunna try the open bail and light line idea next time out! If i could chum i would, but my schedual keeps me very busy on some nights, but Im gunna talk to my friend and maybe split the chumming responsibilities between the two of us !

carp are not line shy, nor are they shy biters that drop your hookbait because they feel weight.....in fact a popular carp rig is called a "bolt" rig, which uses a fixed weight as much as 3 or 4 ounces...the carp inhales your hookbait, feels the weight and "bolts", in effect hooking himself.

JMO, if you are getting bit but not hooking up, your rig does not work.

If you are not getting bit and can confirm carp are in your swim, then your hookbait is not to their liking.

If you are unsure of whether or not carp are in your swim, you are in a bad spot as you need for the fish to be in your area and feeding...which is why people chum and sometimes establish longer term baiting campaigns in order to draw and hold carp in the area you are fishing. It may be that you need to fish a different body of water where carp are more prevalent in order to hook up more consistently.

I'm off on Thursday this week to do some carping in the Hamilton area, you're welcome to join myself and a friend of mine (also a seasoned carper) if you'd like some first hand guidance.....PM me.....

I see the carp all swimming by, and hanging out at the surface. So I know they are there. They just never seem interested in what I'm throwing them I guess...

Im gunna re-evaluate my rigs and set-ups and go out to my spot on Saturday evening, and if the carp still refuse to bite, then I'll switch back to the catfish !

CHUM CHUM CHUM with corn, use corn as a hookbait, learn to tie a hair rig, learn to make a bolt rig, chum and fish the same area, cast to the same spot each time aswell as chum it. continue to chum throughout your session and after every fish hooked or landed, give the carp a while to find your chum and hookbait when you begin your session. Try all these tips together on your next session and if you know carp are in the area im pretty confident youll get into one

Gluck Darrin

did i say chum? it gives carp a reason to be in your swim

google HAIR RIG, BOLT RIG, and also FISHING THE METHOD as its more advanced but also a great way to catch carp

CHUM CHUM CHUM with corn, use corn as a hookbait, learn to tie a hair rig, learn to make a bolt rig, chum and fish the same area, cast to the same spot each time aswell as chum it. continue to chum throughout your session and after every fish hooked or landed, give the carp a while to find your chum and hookbait when you begin your session. Try all these tips together on your next session and if you know carp are in the area im pretty confident youll get into one

Gluck Darrin

did i say chum? it gives carp a reason to be in your swim

google HAIR RIG, BOLT RIG, and also FISHING THE METHOD as its more advanced but also a great way to catch carp

As I mentioned earlier, i dont have the time to go to my spot and chum... Between work, volunteering and fishing other spots, I have 1 day a week where I fish my carp hole, so chumming isnt an option...

Hair rig improved hookups by 50% for me.

Im looking into tying one of these for next week ! :)

I went out for the first time last night carpin. Went 1 for 3 and landed a monster ten pounder. All i was using was corn on a hook 3 way rig with a heavy weight about eight feet ojt from shore. That carp fought like hell and did some acrobatics for me! Lots of fun!!!

As I mentioned earlier, i dont have the time to go to my spot and chum... Between work, volunteering and fishing other spots, I have 1 day a week where I fish my carp hole, so chumming isnt an option...

Im looking into tying one of these for next week ! :)

by chumming, people are referring to putting out some free offerings when you arrive at your spot. You don't necessarily need to bait between sessions, but it is a good idea to throw out some freebies for the carp when you arrive and start fishing. If they are in the area this will draw them to your specific spot. don't worry about overfeeding them, it's pretty hard to do :)

Fished a couple hours today and blanked also :) so it happens to the best of us :)

Carp don't hate me , they fear me .....and take off ! ahah . I have done well using canned corn & puffed corn enclosed with either shredded bread balls or quaker oats mixed with creamed corn as is all explained in Hammercarps posts . Check his rigs carefully .

I frequent dollarama store near me & buy 2 cans of corn for a buck and white bread for $1.25 a loaf . One can or more can be used for chum & the rest for bait , or use the puffed corn for bait .Puffed corn floats but gets soft quickly & gobies will steal it , so I check every 15-20 minutes & always put a fresh one one ....they are cheap in the bulk barn store . It's a cheap way to fish and the rewards are BIG ! Happy carpin' :Gonefishing:

Carp don't hate me , they fear me .....and take off ! ahah . I have done well using canned corn & puffed corn enclosed with either shredded bread balls or quaker oats mixed with creamed corn as is all explained in Hammercarps posts . Check his rigs carefully .

I frequent dollarama store near me & buy 2 cans of corn for a buck and white bread for $1.25 a loaf . One can or more can be used for chum & the rest for bait , or use the puffed corn for bait .Puffed corn floats but gets soft quickly & gobies will steal it , so I check every 15-20 minutes & always put a fresh one one ....they are cheap in the bulk barn store . It's a cheap way to fish and the rewards are BIG ! Happy carpin' :Gonefishing:

Looks like i am off to the dollar store today ! haha. My plan for tomorrow: Jordan Harbour in the afternoon with my little brother, then in the evening / night im off to the Welland River... im sure in that time ill catch a carp.. or 3 or 4 ( Hopefully :P ). i will post pictures and update you guys with how my day goes ! Thanks again for all the help guys ! :)

• 1 year later...

I hope you have has more success. One way of getting a better indication is using a wagler float. If baits are being stripped use corn from the tackle shop or boilies. Go to peters tackle and i know scott can point you in the right direction. Pva bags can increase your chances depending on the waters you fish.

Archived