Crankbait Rod?

Tom S

Hey guys,

When I was last up in cottage country I ended up tossing a lot of crankbaits for Bass with my spinning rod, and noticed that between the extra drag of the crankbaits and weeds/debris my mono was looking pretty sad after a while - all stretched out, which later gave me troubles when trying to jig. Got me thinking that it would be good to look for a dedicated crankbait rod, and I'm thinking that I would like to make this one a baitcaster. I do not have much experience with them though, so I'm looking for some input.

Action - What sort of action should I look for? I don't want to be tearing the lips off of bass, but also need the power to throw cranks all day.

Line - Braided or mono? I need something that can turn a bass out of the weeds when they start diving. Lost a lot of fish that way this summer.

Hand - I usually cast with my right hand, but from what I understand baitcasters are set up so you cast with your off hand? Any reason why I can't continue to retrieve with my left and cast with my right?

Manufacturer - any brands to avoid? Any recommendations? Trying not to break the bank here.

Thanks,

-Tom

I just sold a TFO 9' 8-15 lb casting rod with a Shimano Calcutta 201. Best combo I have used, but I still prefer a spinning rod/reel for hardware tossing.

I have just bought a Shimano Stradic 2500 with braid, and will be putting it on a 11'6" MH Kingpin prototype. Superior hookset power with length to temper long runs. Should be super for early Salmon and west coast Steelhead.

I found winding a reel that sits above the blank to be less desirable than below.

I would suggest asking a buddy that may have a casting combo for a loan to try for yourself, before committing your money. It's a learning curve for sure.

I personally would recommend a abu Garcia veritas mhf 7' - 7'6" combined with a shimano caenan. The reel will be fast enough for a crank and with a medium heavy rod you will have enough back bone to crank the deepest of cranks. Personally I use 10 pound fluorocarbon but I have also used 10 poud braid. That combo will run you around 175 but you won't regret it.

The right hand retrieve is a painless transition. Casting with the right and switching hands to retrieve with the left becomes natural and fluid. If it still is not your cup of tea, most models offer a left-hand retrieve like a spinning reel, but the whole baitcast experience is switching hands!

You can get left hand retrieve in bait casters. You may have trouble finding them in a combo.

My recommendation is for a 7'6", moderate action, medium/heavy rod.

I use 12-14lb Flouro for cranks and braid and leader for lipless cranks (I fish lipless through weeds sometimes, the extra strength is nice)

Don't get crazy with the rod, under a $100 will do fine...I can't believe I'm going to say this but an Ugly Stik or similiar brand for cranks is probably a good start (I feel dirty). I would however spend a bit more on the reel. Reason why, it will save you the heartache of learning how to use a BC. The more bearings the better. You can upgrade your bearings to better ones, this allows the spool to have less friction on casts, getting the bait out farther, thus allowing the crank to get in the strike zone and stay there for longer.

As a lefty, your choices in reels are limited. I like a 5.4:1 gear ratio for cranks, but tough to find in a LH retrieve for a moderate price. A 6.3:1 will work, just reel slower!

A great start is the Lew's Tourney MG - $129.99, the Shimano Citica E201 (discountinued model, look for used. I have 3 and love them - bearing upgrades and super tuning done, smooth as glass and cast a mile) Pflueger President - $150

When picking one out, Put the reel on a rod, you want it to be light and small, so it basically fits comfortably in your hand!

Sorry for the ramble, let me know if you have questions!

Tight lines!

Thanks for all the advice. I think I might keep my eyes open for a used one. I see a few in the classifieds, and I'm sure they pop up on Kijiji every once and a while. Any brands/models that should be avoided?

You will want a 7'6 to a 7'11 for crankbaits. If you are throwing deep cranks the 7'11 is awesome and the 7'6 is good for deep cranks but more gear towards a shallow crankbaits, Also for deep crankbait you will want a slow gear ratio for them so you can work them properly. 5.0:1 is best. For shallow cranks you will want something a bit faster though to rip them over the rocks. You will also want a slower action rod for shallow cranks so that there is some give in the rod, that way you don't snag up as much.

As for line you want to go with 10-12# flouro.

You might want to consider an ABU-GARCIA VILLAIN rod matched with a REVO baitcaster. Great reviews and moderately priced. I use a REVO S reel on a 7'6" med-heavy rod. Great for spinner baits esp. the Strike King BOTTOM DWELLER an excellent bait for river fishing.

Archived