Does Anyone Know What This Spike Head Fish Is From The Upper Is

fishingtheupperzone19

My friend Steve , my son and I were fishing the Upper on the American side.i set up a rod for myself and one for my son.my son was occupied playing with rocks , i could see a hit on his Rod and i told my friend steve better set that hook on that rod.he did and reeled in this fish.i never seen a fish like this before but Im sure fisherman on NFN have .i looked all over google and cant find a fish the same. Im just curious what type of fish it is.

407352089.jpg

407352103.jpg

Yeah, a common creek chub. Catch a million of them on a dry fly at dusk. Great practice for fly fishers.

thanks a lot .it drove me crazy trying to find out what it actually was.i looked it up and you are right.

We used to catch them in the upper 12 Mile (Jackson's Flats) . Some would reach 9-10" and during the spawn they had some nice colours . We called them horned dace back in the 50's . They are great bait for the big pike & are similar to the golden shiners except the shiners have small heads with large eyes , also great for pike & big cats.

This horneyhead chub is like the ones we caught at the Flats ........

riverchub.jpg

We used to catch them in the upper 12 Mile (Jackson's Flats) . Some would reach 9-10" and during the spawn they had some nice colours . We called them horned dace back in the 50's . They are great bait for the big pike & are similar to the golden shiners except the shiners have small heads with large eyes , also great for pike & big cats.

This horneyhead chub is like the ones we caught at the Flats ........

riverchub.jpg

thanks smerch.you definately know fishing and fish types.thats great information.

Archived