Smelts?

fishkid

It's been a long time since I've gone smelt fishing and I want to give it a try again. I haven't been in probably 15 years. When do they start coming in to the piers? Particularly the Hammer lift bridge? I want to say october 'ish but it's been so long I'm probably way off. Could be spring for all I know. Anyone that can give me a hint, thanks ahead of time.

Everybody owes it to themselves to check out the Niagara after dark during the smelt run at least once. It's a surreal experience you'll not soon forget.

Something about an enormous clear green river lined with lights, parking lot full, pitch black, radios going, entire families working to fill their vans. Nothing quite like it.

Buy a cheap dip net from Cdn Tire; if you time it just right you might get a bucket or two.

On Lake Simcoe you could get them up to 8"...but that was a while ago. Good times at night through the ice in a warm hut along with ling out of Port Bolster.

We went for white fish at Oro 11 on Simcoe many years ago . We fished in a hut all night , 90 fow for the white fish & used a small float with 6' of line with a piece of minnow to catch nice 7-8" smelts just under the ice ( light attracted them). We fried them in butter in the hut on our home made oil stove . Excellent eating !

Archived