Roe Harvesting

Seanook

Well seeing as it is that time of year, I figured I would ask the forum for feedback on proper Roe harvest, curing and releasing Salmon.

I almost always buy my Roe from my local shop but last years batch seemed sub par and I had much more luck with the home cured variety when I could get my hands on it. Also finding a varying size bags instead of having to use the smallish store bought variety is an issue.

This year I will attempt to cure my own. I have a pretty good idea of how to accomplish this. I won't be gutting any fish or squeezing their bellies. If she's spurtin' I will collect what I can and put her back as quick as possible.

I haven't decided on my curing method as of yet but I better figure it out before I start harvesting. Should I go with the store bought brine or whisk up a borax and (insert your favorite) stink combo? Not asking for anyone's recipe just an honest opinion. Maybe what not to use is as helpful as opposed to what you are using.

Once I have accomplished that, I need to store it properly. Obviously I will be freezing a large portion for the winter but any tips on how to keep them properly without compromising the structure, taste and smell would be helpful. Should I pre tie the majority before freezing?

Any advice or just general discussion is helpful.

Thanks,

Sean.

Hey Sean, I honestly just use borax and different colour jello powders. Honestly, I find a natural colour is most practical, as that is what the browns eat naturally. However, some colours do prove to be more hot than others!

Hey Sean, I honestly just use borax and different colour jello powders. Honestly, I find a natural colour is most practical, as that is what the browns eat naturally. However, some colours do prove to be more hot than others!

Thanks Jeeves. I have heard the Jello powder before myself. Reds and oranges. I will be targeting Steelhead primarily although a Brown or two would be nice.

Sean, just hit up the port credit boat ramp cleaning station...you'll get all the fresh roe you want with the keepers coming in off the charters. You can also buy it online at Fishheads or centerpin angling in sealed bags delivered to your door. Separate it into small sandwich bags enough for an outing...tip the bag to one side so its shaped like an ice cream cone and no air, then tie it up with a twisty. Stick those small bags in a ziplock freezer bag and your good to go...take out and thaw, then tie them up as needed.

If you need to use roe, just buy it man. Release the fish and let it spawn. Lots and lots of wild fish, they will spawn successfully if you let them.

http://www.fishheadscanada.net/fishheads-cured-natural-chinook-salmon-roe/

Like I said in my original post but maybe needs some clarification. I will only really collect roe from a fish I have caught that is dropping or "spurting". I won't belly squeeze or keep it out of the water longer than necessary. It may take a fish or three but I refuse to open one up. Also I will not eat a spawning Salmon......EVER!

Dave. Your suggestion is probably my best option other than buying online. I'm just exploring my options and curing my own and catching fish with it is part of the satisfaction.

I like using them natural.Rinse them where you catch the fish,tie & freeze.They will not last as long but I find everything else I tried turns them off it seems?

I like using them natural.Rinse them where you catch the fish,tie & freeze.They will not last as long but I find everything else I tried turns them off it seems?

+1 this is what i do. works like a charm. also bring some roe bag netting and string down to the river, some of my best days were from freshly acquired roe.

Yes i agree as well...just use the water from the river to rinse them. Dont leave them in too long....max 5mins then pour it out. I always add a drop or two of yellow and red food colouring...brightens them up a little.

I also prefer natural. Take a deep disposable cooking tray put 8-10 paper towels in it, spread the eggs out and let dry for an 1-2 hours or until the texture is to your liking. Take another paper towel put the eggs in and make a pita put in a freezer bag remove the air and put in freezer until needed.

Archived