Carpin Saturday

Jason15

I'm thinking about going for carp saturday I usually use corn on a hook with bread packed around it but I would like to try boilies or the cuk corn type stuff any suggestions as to what to use or where to get it?

Fishing World on Barton near Centennial Parkway ( HWY # 20 ) in Hamilton has carp baits. So does Pete's in St. Catharines. If you use boilies you must put them on a hair rig. They are not a hook bait. I have been getting carp on puffed corn and oatpack.

• 1 month later...

It looked like a good day to try the 12 Mile for carp . I used canned corn and gave it about 2 hrs. The water level is high tide now so there was more current than usual in the back wash and the visibility was about 2 ft. I didn't have any luck or bites , but the sun was shining and it was nice to get some fresh air .

here's a shot from the walk bridge at Glendale .......

SAM_3569.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Puffed corn and oat pack? Im trying to .get oyt tgere this weekend. A certain discharge on the 12. Had a fish take my hole set up. My fault my drag wasnt set. A couple members can testify. Think it was a cat. Anyways if.you dont mind giving me some more info on the puffed corn oatpack set up, that would be great.

Puffed corn and oat pack? Im trying to .get oyt tgere this weekend. A certain discharge on the 12. Had a fish take my hole set up. My fault my drag wasnt set. A couple members can testify. Think it was a cat. Anyways if.you dont mind giving me some more info on the puffed corn oatpack set up, that would be great.

Ouch. Now that the water is cold you may want to give bread pack a try. Here is a video on how to make and use both. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ksd3phNxjc . Tight lines.

Lorne .....now that the water is getting much cooler , do your tactics -bait change ? I have been buying corn & bread at the Dollar Store & getting other carp food baits at the Bulk Barn . I noticed they have hemp seeds there but they are expensive . Maybe a few seeds added to bread balls etc. may add a little touch (persuasion) to peak the carps interest .

Hey hammrcarp, do you always pack the bread all the way threw the hook not making the hook visible.

Yes I completely cover the hook. You are using the hook to hold the pack bait for the cast. The bread pack will crumble after it hits the bottom. Your baited hook will then be exposed. If you use puffs like I do, then your baited hook will pop right up out of the pile of pack bait, inviting the carp to suck it in.

Lorne .....now that the water is getting much cooler , do your tactics -bait change ? I have been buying corn & bread at the Dollar Store & getting other carp food baits at the Bulk Barn . I noticed they have hemp seeds there but they are expensive . Maybe a few seeds added to bread balls etc. may add a little touch (persuasion) to peak the carps interest .

Hemp seeds are a great bait for carp. We used to be able to buy them at Tregunno Seeds here and they were a lot cheaper than the bulk barn. Perhaps inquiring at some local feed stores or seed supply places will get some cheaper. You need to boil them a bit until they split. This will help make them the most effective. The guys that use them all the time recommend not using too much hemp. Just a bit will help.

When you fish for cold water carp it is recommended that you use less bait . Using bread pack will take the worry of over doing it away. It would be very difficult for a carp to over feed on ground up fresh bread since the pieces are so small and easily dispersed.

Thanks Lorne , I'll pick up a small amount of hemp seeds shortly as I go to the B.barn for peanuts etc. Carp bait is really cheap when you buy the bread & canned corn (2 for a buck) at the dollar store .

Archived