Do You Remember Your First Niagara River Steelie?

Finsanity

Up early, like I mean real early couldn't sleep. My cousin and his buddy were taking me to the Niagara. I couldn't stop checking my tackle and pacing back and forth. Finally I see headlights out front of my house. I grab my gear and head for the door. The streets are empty of cars and people and were on our way. Finally we arrive still dark we head down to the pool with flashlights to guide the way. After what I thought at the time was a pretty rugged hike I get my first look at the Niagara river from ground level. I'm taken back and even more excited until my cousins friend says it's doesn't look very good. I'm instantly disappointed. I try not to be discouraged. Set up ready to go now. Bounce bounce snag. Bounce bounce snag. Bounce bounce screaming reel. I set the hook like I'm Bob freaking Izumi. I dont know what to do I'm freaking out. Finally my cousin sees me and him and his buddy rush over to help. She was a silver 7 pound hen. To this day I remember her. It's been a while and there have been many bigger fish since. But that hen took me from a casual fisher, too a Steelheader. Now I pray for the colder weather, and anything but a southwest wind on Erie. What about you guys?

Well, unlike you, the fish that turned me into a steelheader actually came much earlier in the season. I was fishing with tubes for bass down in the pool in early September when a 26lb chinny picked it up and took me for a ride on a 6'6" medium uglystick. Took me forever to land the fish, but that fight was absolutely amazing! After that I kept trying for salmon or any species of trout. It took hours of hiking and plenty of time watching the pros down there before I finally hooked into my first steelie bottom bouncing a roe bag. As the years go by and I learn more and more about the river the numbers keep rising. For all you beginners keep at it...be one of those 10% of the guys catching 90% of the fish!

For me it was the browns, as much as I wanted to catch some steel almost every outing I was catching browns. I didn't care as I was just glad to be catching something.

Everytime I hit the water I learn something new and there's been plenty of steel landed since. But every bite is still just as thrilling as the first.

i cant remember my 1st steelie because the 1st 1 i caught turned out to be a salmon. I was used to catching lakers so i assumed it was a steelhead and the person that ate it said it tasted like salmon so after some research i decided it was a coho. boy did i feel dumb

I'm not new to steelie fishing but last year was the first time on the Niagara. A first for me was to convince myself to use beads. Second drift, as I'm retrieving my float, I literally saw my first steelie come up from behind the bead and engulf it!

this instantly created another spot for my addiction and a vote of confidence on a bead.

Bad bad bad fish, wish it never happened... :crazy:

Haha beads i remeber me trying to explain to a buddy we needed to use beads. He was all like what the heck. Got him down there second drift on My special color and wham. Now he buys them in the weirdest colors just to have them incase. Lol he's an addict.

My big brother took me fishing to Niagara for the first time about 40 some years ago. It was the end of July of all things. I rememebr tossing a worm into a drift, that was a long time ago!!

I caught a very aggressive 5lb rainbow, it was awesome!!! I still remeber the hit.

I am sure I would remember it, if I were to catch one :( HAHA

sunday, we will get you your first niagara rainbow,

As for the thread, my first one was about this time last year, just abit left to the middle of the pool, right where the watter goes from a shallow bay to drop off, I tossed out a blue and white maribou jig and on my third drift she took, beauty 8-9lb rainbow hen, my biggest to date, been hooked ever since

Got mine on a little Cleo sitting on the rocks next to the boat launch at Queenston. Was ecstatic. 5lb male. Must have been about this time of year. Never hooked another one on a spoon and I have tried many times after. Beads are another story altogether. Have had a lot of chrome since but I remember the first like it was yesterday.

ba5e8e9f-c1dc-48ff-bc07-c8fe423e5f0d_zps

thought this thread could use more pics!, this was my first, spinning set up floating jigs and power minnows all season, and i had some really good success, lets hope this season is filled with bigger fish, bigger fish stories, and more memories!

Archived