Salmon Snagging

Jmo1685

I like trying to catch a salmon or two off the harbor walls in late summer, but I don't get why people have this thing where they MUST get a salmon at all cost! Is it gas money, pride or what?

I've tried the river fishing. They are all huddled in a tiny little pool, spooked half to death because 50 people tried floating gobs of their own eggs into their mouth. They also do not chase spinners jigs or plugs, so there are only two ways I can fathom to legally catch a spawning salmon upstream:

1) You get lucky if there is one with enough spunk left to initiate a reactionary strike

2) Whether you are drifting or bouncing, you just happen to float/bounce it right into his waiting jaws. This does not resonate as an 'ethical' catch, but whatever.

**edit**

Answered my own question: ROE! People need fresh bait to catch those steelhead... you know because steelhead won't bite on beads, jigs, streamers, flies, spinners and pink plastic worms

Also because, you know... people cant try and catch a hen in the lake off a pier too...

I like trying to catch a salmon or two off the harbor walls in late summer, but I don't get why people have this thing where they MUST get a salmon at all cost! Is it gas money, pride or what?

I've tried the river fishing. They are all huddled in a tiny little pool, spooked half to death because 50 people tried floating gobs of their own eggs into their mouth. They also do not chase spinners jigs or plugs, so there are only two ways I can fathom to legally catch a spawning salmon upstream:

1) You get lucky if there is one with enough spunk left to initiate a reactionary strike

2) Whether you are drifting or bouncing, you just happen to float/bounce it right into his waiting jaws. This does not resonate as an 'ethical' catch, but whatever.

**edit**

Answered my own question: ROE! People need fresh bait to catch those steelhead... you know because steelhead won't bite on beads, jigs, streamers, flies, spinners and pink plastic worms.

/end rant

i kind of have to challenge that salmon dont chase spinners spoons ect, when i fished the st marys for early chinooks i had plenty of pulls on spinners as well as a few landed on them, i watched a few cohos and atlantics chase my lures up until my feet, and as for the eggs, i got skein and loose eggs this year, which will all be tied up and used for steelheading this fall/winter/spring. yeah steel will bite other things, but roe is a bait that has its days where its all youl catch on.

as for the river fishing crowding, your right, to a point. river rishing for salmon steelhead and browns is unlike peir fishing and fishing the niagara, its a totally different scene, different techniques everything. i did a 15 min hike up in bronte and credit, and guess what, no people. and thats on a weekend. once your away from the crowd, and have whole pools to yourself, i think youl have a better appreciation for river fishing,

i kind of have to challenge that salmon dont chase spinners spoons ect, when i fished the st marys for early chinooks i had plenty of pulls on spinners as well as a few landed on them, i watched a few cohos and atlantics chase my lures up until my feet, and as for the eggs, i got skein and loose eggs this year, which will all be tied up and used for steelheading this fall/winter/spring. yeah steel will bite other things, but roe is a bait that has its days where its all youl catch on.

as for the river fishing crowding, your right, to a point. river rishing for salmon steelhead and browns is unlike peir fishing and fishing the niagara, its a totally different scene, different techniques everything. i did a 15 min hike up in bronte and credit, and guess what, no people. and thats on a weekend. once your away from the crowd, and have whole pools to yourself, i think youl have a better appreciation for river fishing,

Hey Jordan, good counter points and by no means do I lump you and other respectable anglers in that rant.

I refer to individuals who pay no attention to regs just to score some free bait. I have no problem with anybody who follows regs and enjoys the spoils of his hard work.

Hey Jordan, good counter points and by no means do I lump you and other respectable anglers in that rant.

I refer to individuals who pay no attention to regs just to score some free bait. I have no problem with anybody who follows regs and enjoys the spoils of his hard work.

appreciate the reply, and i agree, the loogans who run through the rivers with gaff's and a bucket or leave the river with a garbage bag full of salmon kills it for the rest of the anglers,

**edit**

Answered my own question: ROE! People need fresh bait to catch those steelhead... you know because steelhead won't bite on beads, jigs, streamers, flies, spinners and pink plastic worms.

/end rant

clearly you have never watched one shoot across the pool to smash an egg sucking leech. Lots to learn.

I understand the reasons why you would want to take them instead of having these fish go to waste. My problem with it is the incidental catches. I've been on the Gunnison River,Colorado duing Salmon snagging season. When they would snag the wrong species they would drag it on shore, step on the fish and rip the 3oz cricket out of it and kick it back into the water.

Dear Mr. Mokrzynski,

Thank you for your email dated October 25th, 2013 regarding the unlawful taking of salmon in the 20 Mile Creek near Jordan. I am pleased to respond.

Please be assured that conservation officers patrol the 20 mile creek to monitor compliance and they prioritize this enforcement in the spring and fall seasons during the fish runs. In fact, the Ministry of Natural Resources recently conducted a saturated enforcement effort amongst Peterborough, Aurora and Guelph District. The sum of this effort inspected over 450 anglers and detected 90 violations resulting in $10,930 in fines. I have attached the media release for your information.

I want to thank you for taking an active interest in the protection of Ontarios natural resources. Signs convey accurate information to the public but they become an inadvertent cost to erect and maintain when they are torn down or defaced. Even when signage is present it is occasionally ignored by some that have little regard lawful fishing activities. The greatest tool and partnership Ontarios conservation officers have is people like yourself. Despite our best efforts, conservation officers cannot be present at all times. The Ministry encourages individuals to report details of suspected natural resource violations to the TIPS-MNR reporting line. Every tip received is assigned to a conservation officer for review, assessment and determination of the appropriate response.

In order for a conservation officer to investigate an occurrence they require the following information,

· Nature of the violation (i.e. fishing, hunting, etc)

· Vehicle information (i.e. make, model, color, licence plate information, etc)

· Location of the violation (i.e. address, county, township, municipality, lot, concession, etc)

· Particulars of the violation

· Any other relevant information

Please continue to call our TIPS-MNR line at 1-877-847-7667 and help Ontario protect its natural resources if you have witnessed a violation and a conservation officer will look into the matter at their earliest opportunity. Thank you for contacting the Ministry of Natural Resources regarding your concerns.

Sincerely,

Joseph Fralick

Conservation Officer

Provincial Services Division

Enforcement Branch

Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources

Huron/Perth Area Office

Here's the response I received from the MNR regarding my sign idea... Looks like it isn't going to happen :( maybe in the future something more will happen I the future. Oh we'll, we just have to keep calling and reporting violations as we see them !

wrc,

snagging is not legal, for any species let alone 1 that will die after spawning, but legally you can milk a fish of eggs and release that fish ( take some and make a reasonable quick release) this fish does count towards you daily limit.

Archived