Salmon Snagging

Jmo1685

Hey guys and gals,

So I came home from school for the thanksgiving weekend, and decided to take my family with me on a hike to Baileys Bridge to watch the salmon make their trek upstream. After being there for 5 mins, some kids came walking by wih a big male king in their hands. I quickly approached them and told them its out of season, illegal to fish, and I was calling the MNR. They had some less than nice words to say, and proceeded to carry on. The MNR was called and we proceeded on our hike. As I saw more "fishermen" up ahead, I talked to them, and after mentioning salmon snagging and the MNR , they cleared, with some still staying.

With buisness taken care of, my family proceeded upstream to view the salmon. We saw easily over 30 fish within a 20m stretch of river. I wish I had pictures, but the water was sooo muddy all you could see is the tops of the fins. My family loved to see it, and I got to show and teach them about the salmon and how they live. (Fish and Wildlife education for the win).

I wish that there were more COs or something we could do about these snaggers. It was a shame to see a few kings with their guys cut open and bodies left on the shore. /: maybe some kind of public notice or something like a sign in the area. I know it won't deter those who are intentionally snagging, but it might help those just ignorant of the rules....

Thanks for reading the rant guys ! Tight lines and goodluck with the fall season. I'll be trout hunting in 2 weeks once it's reading week. Until then NFFers !

J-mo

Went down to the bridge to show my cousin the salmon running up the creek, and the MNR was there handing out tickets to quite a few people. Score 1 for Mother Nature ! :)

^ why would they allow a snagging season for ? Or was that some form of sarcasm ? Haha

Snagging boosted the economy of small towns on the Manistee. Snaggers spent a lot of money and when snagging was made illegal the money stopped coming in. 30,000 salmon are caught on the BIg Manistee yearly. Figured that the fish were going to die anyway so open a season for snagging. Voices were heard so they are thinging of legalizing it again.

i think if they make very specific rules i think i could be done well. Michigan has some of the best salmon fishing. if 30,000 salmon are returning just to the manistee river just imagine the numbers in the other hundreds of watersheds, in michigan there are 63 major watersheds, most of which support a great salmon run, thats roughly 1.89 million salmon in only 63, yes 63 watersheds. i think if they put a reasonable limit on the number of fish you take than it could be a success, its a great way for a small town for make a lot of money, and possibly use some of the money to increase stocking and to keep the rivers clean/tidy. not every single fish is going to be snagged, and a lot of the fish will still be angled legally, but making a few sections in the manistee a snag legal zone could really boost the economy of the area. i trust the dnr officers in michigan, they really do a good job of patrolling and enforcing the rules there, much more then a mnr officer with minimal funding . i wil be interested in following this and see how it goes,,

The only reason most are against snagging is that the MNR has said it is not a legal way to get a fish.

If the MNR said snag away in 16 mile you all would be down there.

Those that say they wouldnt are either too preachy or concerned with their image.

The only reason most are against snagging is that the MNR has said it is not a legal way to get a fish.

Those that say they wouldnt are either too preachy or concerned with their image.

This made me chuckle....

If snagging was legal I wouldn't do it...

Wheres the fun, adventure and skill in catching a half dead fish in its body and dragging it to shore...?

I'd much rather go find a river with other species where it would take some effort to catch a fish.

I'm not preachy nor do I care about my image. You could ask any one of my friends about that and they would vouch for me.

Let the fish do their thing,

If i were about to get my spawn on, I'd hope nobody would drag me outta my area and stop me from doing that dance...

I wouldn't wanna rob Mr.Salmon or Mr.Trout from having their fun...

i think the reason for an open snagging season would be so people could get table fare, so the legal season would be for early fresh salmon i would assume. thats my thought atleast on that.

i think there would be some people who wouldnt snag, but im sure most would do it at least once.

i think if they make very specific rules i think i could be done well. Michigan has some of the best salmon fishing. if 30,000 salmon are returning just to the manistee river just imagine the numbers in the other hundreds of watersheds, in michigan there are 63 major watersheds, most of which support a great salmon run, thats roughly 1.89 million salmon in only 63, yes 63 watersheds. i think if they put a reasonable limit on the number of fish you take than it could be a success, its a great way for a small town for make a lot of money, and possibly use some of the money to increase stocking and to keep the rivers clean/tidy. not every single fish is going to be snagged, and a lot of the fish will still be angled legally, but making a few sections in the manistee a snag legal zone could really boost the economy of the area. i trust the dnr officers in michigan, they really do a good job of patrolling and enforcing the rules there, much more then a mnr officer with minimal funding . i wil be interested in following this and see how it goes,,

That was 30,000 salmon taken per fall in the Big Manistee alone.

Snagging was stopped on the Manistee by the anglers of the state of Michigan, the sportsman of the state stopped the barbaric carnage. I highly doubt a few redneck hillbillies are going to get that brutal destruction of the resource legally brought back. It was the ethical fishermen that put a stop to the destruction, they lobbied hard to have those laws changed and I wouldn't think things are going to change.

As long as the fish aren't wasted and used for food I suppose it okay when sanctioned by the MNR . It's not my cup of java to snag a fish by the dorsal or tail or belly but to some , a fish is a fish . We allow carp to be killed by bow and arrow with no limits .....and I'm sure they don't end up in the frying pan . :ArcherySmiley:B)

Hey Dude....hope your right ! :Gonefishing:

For all the pro snaggers out there I'm sure the Asian Carp will fit the bill once they get here. :lol:

People will be trying to snag them mid air with harpoon guns.... Note to self: find a harpoon gun!

Not to go off topic but if you are able enough to hike to the upper reaches up the watershed the salmon are easily avaliable for a picture in full jump. Yesterday was mud and I still managed to get a few nice pictures of a king jumping over a rock in the middle of the stream. Powerful creatures those salmon are.

Not to go off topic but if you are able enough to hike to the upper reaches up the watershed the salmon are easily avaliable for a picture in full jump. Yesterday was mud and I still managed to get a few nice pictures of a king jumping over a rock in the middle of the stream. Powerful creatures those salmon are.

I managed to see one yesterday jump on my hike too. Just on the south side of the King Street bridge. Wish I had a camera for it :(

I think most of us just enjoy the sport of fishing and putting some on the plate once in a while is a bonus

Some of us have better things to do then catch half dead rotten salmon.

People will be trying to snag them mid air with harpoon guns.... Note to self: find a harpoon gun!

I actually saw a guy with a harpoon gun down at bronte when I was a kid. That can be a nasty place in the fall,too bad,used to go there all the time going back and forth to work in T.O.

I actually saw a guy with a harpoon gun down at bronte when I was a kid. That can be a nasty place in the fall,too bad,used to go there all the time going back and forth to work in T.O.

Imagine calling that in to the MNR....

I like trying to catch a salmon or two off the harbor walls in late summer, but I don't get why people have this thing where they MUST get a salmon at all cost! Is it gas money, pride or what?

I've tried the river fishing. They are all huddled in a tiny little pool, spooked half to death because 50 people tried floating gobs of their own eggs into their mouth. They also do not chase spinners jigs or plugs, so there are only two ways I can fathom to legally catch a spawning salmon upstream:

1) You get lucky if there is one with enough spunk left to initiate a reactionary strike

2) Whether you are drifting or bouncing, you just happen to float/bounce it right into his waiting jaws. This does not resonate as an 'ethical' catch, but whatever.

**edit**

Answered my own question: ROE! People need fresh bait to catch those steelhead... you know because steelhead won't bite on beads, jigs, streamers, flies, spinners and pink plastic worms.

/end rant

Archived